Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing low power variable optic for AR

cpoth Guest

Need help choosing low power variable optic for AR

I have reviewed several threads regarding optics 1-4x to 1-8 power. My budget is 2K to 2500 max. I would like to mount this optic on an MR556 for use for 3 gun and general sport shooting. I want an optic with genuine 1x power on the low end. From my reading I'd prefer a FFP with a large bold circle like reticle. Day light illuminated washout is not as important to me as long as the black bold reticle is still identifiable quickly in daylight. Below are several options I have considered so far. Any first hand experience is much appreciated.

Leupold Mark 6 1-6
    Nightforce NXS 1-4x24mm
    Kahles K16i 1-6x24
    Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28
    Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24

I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help,
    Chris

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know you said you want FFP, but gave you considered the Vortex? FFP isn't very important on lower-powers. I find that I'm faster with a SFP, but that's blondes and brunettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpoth Guest
    Sure I would consider that. Which model Vortex do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    Most commonly, it's the Razor II 1-6
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

cpoth Guest
    I had been leaning to the trijicon accupower 1-8. Outside of price are there other advantages to the razor over the accupower?

Feedback Score
    Many of your listed optics are discussed in the very recent LPVO for Military/SOF thread which had some participation by SMEs.

cpoth Guest
    Thank you for pointing me that way. That thread info is very helpful.

Feedback Score
    I have two Kahles K16i scopes with the SM1 reticle. They are running $2K currently. I can't speak highly enough about this scope. I also have the Razor HD II with the Mil based reticle. The Kahles wins in every way, except price.

With a LPV I don't want a FFP optic. At 1X the reticle gets to small for me, if the target very far away I find myself dialing to 6X anyway. If I were in my 20's that might be a different story. My old eye appreciate the larger reticle.
    Last edited by irondude; 09-04-17 at 12:46.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    FFP on a LPV is not a good thing.

I'd go K16i. I'm still shooting an NXS 1-4 and won't change soon, but the Kahles is a better scope.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have to agree. On a 1-8x you're probably going to be on 1x or 8x. I doubt you'd ever be ranging or using holds on any setting other than 8x. The need for a FFP just isn't there. Its not a 5-25x that picks up too much mirage at x25 in the heat. In that power range SFP makes much more sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast