Thread: Optic or BUIS

Feedback Score

Optic or BUIS

I have a PWS Modern Musket 16" which currently has Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sights on it, which I don't really care for at all regarding the sight picture. I use this rifle mostly for home defense, but plan on doing some hunting with it this fall. I am tossing around the idea of mounting the only scope I currently have on it.... Mueller Multi-Shot 2-7x.

Would it be a bad idea to have this scope mounted on the rifle when being used for home defense? I mean 2 power is still pretty low, but we're not talking a red dot obviously. I just can't help but think it wouldn't be significantly slower than MBUS sights for more precise shots. Honestly the rifle would be basically point shot for fast and close stuff anyways, just anticipating a possible great precision shot.

Also, regarding scope mounts I am looking at either Warne XSKEL Gen 2 or Aero Precision SPR. I am leaning towards the Warne as it seems a bit more overbuilt and I like the hex bolt attachments which allow for QR while retaing zero. I am looking at about $10-20 more for the Warne mount over the Aero. I don't expect to need to lap either of them, but I could be wrong... I know Warne claims not needing to lap any of their mounts.

Thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated, thanks!

Feedback Score
    What else is the rifle equipped with?

Do you have a light? If not, I would keep the MBUS sights as-is and save for a lighting solution. After that, I would keep the MBUS sights while you save for a good RDS option (Aimpoint CRO, PRO, etc.).

I honestly wouldn't trust that scope for serious duty. If you think of it another way, those plastic MBUS sights are nearly the same cost as the rifle scope. What does that tell you?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Get a cantilever QD scope mount and have both. I agree with the above post too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Even a good 1X LPV will never be as fast a RDS at in the house ranges. If I were forced to use a single rifle for home defence and hunting I would have a high quality RDS and a mid quality 3X9 both on good QD mounts. If I couldn't have both I would have the RDS and limit my hunting to reasonable distances.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Type sloooooow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    What else is the rifle equipped with?

Do you have a light? If not, I would keep the MBUS sights as-is and save for a lighting solution. After that, I would keep the MBUS sights while you save for a good RDS option (Aimpoint CRO, PRO, etc.).

I honestly wouldn't trust that scope for serious duty. If you think of it another way, those plastic MBUS sights are nearly the same cost as the rifle scope. What does that tell you?
    I do have a light setup that is satisfactory, not perfect though.

Regarding the price of the scope/BUIS, I think Magpul has priced these for what they believe they can sell the number of units desired. I don't believe either of these items are priced entirely with how much it cost to produce. Case in point, PMAG's used to sell for much more than they do now... now that the competition has exploded they have to lower the prices to compete.

I for one believe the MBUS sights are rediculously overpriced for a small piece of polymer, which doesn't even give much of a usable sight picture. I had a set of Troy BUIS on a previous rifle that had such an awesome sight picture it didn't seem any slower than a red dot. Maybe it has to do with the fact my MBUS are FDE, which just seems wrong now that I've used them as your rear aperture is black and the front sight is FDE.

Mueller does not advertise, that right there is a huge expense that is not built into the cost of optic. Were they to advertise heavily like most other brands, I would imagine the scope would cost 2-3x what it does. They also have their scopes built in china, with quality Japanese glass... believe it or not China is capable of good workmanship... it's just not what most companies are asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Ultimately this is the end goal, just do not have funds for a quality RDS right now... but in the somewhat not to distant future sure. Regarding QD scope mounts, who is making the best ones right now?
    Last edited by Grandma's_Boy; 09-04-17 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    Granted, the MBUS sights retail for way more than they cost to produce, but they are functional. Your other option is to just buy a more solid set of sights while you save for an RDS/mount combo.

The catch being that quality irons will set you back quite a bit from your savings goals. Roughly $140 for something like a set of DD a1.5 sights, or more than $200 for Scalarworks OPS sights. While those are all great sights (I really like my DD a1.5 rear sight). If that's worth it to you, then go for it. I use DD a1.5, MBUS pro, Troy, and regular MBUS on various rifles. They all work.

As far as mounts go, the field remains the same. Larue, ADM, and Bobro are my usual top pics for QD mounts. You can sometimes find pretty good combo deals on an Aimpoint and mount.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    I have found nothing better than an AP 30mm rds for fast/consistent close shooting.

Get a quality mount with a true 1/3 cowitness. Makes "heads up" shooting much more natural, IMO.
    "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber projectile ".

Feedback Score
    If I were on a budget, I'd ditch the Mueller and just use the irons until I had enough cash to spend on a Vortex Sparc AR. $200 on Amazon and the mount is included.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I agree with them run both.