Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK-47 options or M1A?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AK-47 options or M1A?

I have a father in law (well long time GF's dad) that is looking for a couple of rifles.

He asked me to find him 2 AK's or 2 M1A's. He said that he was going to use them for home defense as well as small hunting (hogs most likely).

I gave him my opinion that neither is suited for both roles very well but both could be made to work.

I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable on the AR platform but don't really know much about the AK or M1A platforms.

Anyone have suggestions on both guns that could mount optics on? I know the M1A has a side mount like the AK.

He also has a healthy budget as I told him a M1A kitted out would probably be over $2500 and he said he didn't care lol. He just wants nice rifles that will do both jobs for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It it's function he's looking for the IWI Galil's are AKs with good ergonomics, made in an actual factory with factory support and warranty, and are available in 7.62x39, 556 NATO, and 762 NATO. All of them also come with good sights and optics rails. The handguard covers can be removed to expose more rails for accessories if you need them.

All three calibers also use standard, widely available magazines too.

I dod a write up on mine with pics here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...essions-w-pics
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...56-detail-pics

H
    Last edited by halmbarte; 09-04-17 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd go premium AR in -39mm caliber, using Ross Zheng multi-caliber mags.
    Last edited by Lefty223; 09-04-17 at 16:59.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One of each is not an option?

What about a couple ARs? a 5.56 for HD and a 6.8 or .308 for hunting?

Just spitballin'....

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Forget the M1A, Springfield Armory's rifle are not what they use to be, if you want an M14 get an M14. Look to Fulton Armory or LRB Arms.

Also rather than get two of the same rifle, consider one of each. different arm different role.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm actually ok with the whole 'have one type of rifle' idea. One type of mags to stock, one type of ammo, spares, etc.

The time to buy a M1A was when USGI parts were available at non collectable prices. That stopped years ago, and the modern MIM parts just ain't the same.

H

Feedback Score
    I think a comparison of the 300blk shooting supers vs an ak in 7.62x39.

The 300 blk using the 110 vmax or barns tac tx in 110gr is a great set up for hd and hunting at ak 47 ranges

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I honestly don't know why he wants two of the same gun. He actually wants two rifles and 2 pistols of the same.

Don't ask me why though.

I am trying to sell him on just getting an AR as I know much more about them. I am trying to sell a 5.56 and a larger caliber set up for hunting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What's his background like, in terms of interests and experiences with firearms? If he's an AK guy, I agree with halmbarte's recommendation of the Galil in .308.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I honestly don't know why he wants two of the same gun. He actually wants two rifles and 2 pistols of the same.

Don't ask me why though.

I am trying to sell him on just getting an AR as I know much more about them. I am trying to sell a 5.56 and a larger caliber set up for hunting.

Two is one and one is none?

Plus, some people just don't like ARs.

H

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast