Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 options or M1A?

Feedback Score
    I honestly think the best do everything rifle is a standard AR platform fitted with a low power variable optic especially if self-defense is an important component of what you are looking for. Also, I think .223 is greatly underrated as a rifle round. I feel extremely confident that .223 with the heavier 75gr-85gr rounds can successfully harvest most game pretty effectively if you had to.

If he is against the AR platform, then I would second the Galil Ace platform.

A SCAR 16 and SCAR 17 is another combo but those are pricey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I honestly don't know why he wants two of the same gun. He actually wants two rifles and 2 pistols of the same.

Don't ask me why though.

I am trying to sell him on just getting an AR as I know much more about them. I am trying to sell a 5.56 and a larger caliber set up for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can see at least some reasoning. There are a lot of people out there who has the mindset, at least for HD or SD firearms, of keep one on hand for use, and a backup that is set up exactly the same in the case the first takes a dump, or for spare parts. That way even if your first firearm unexpectedly goes 6 feet under you are good to go.

I would try to explain to him that AKs (nor m1as) just have the parts availability or interchangeability or ease of repair like an AR. Maybe he just wants the bigger caliber, but if he is hunting small game...not really needed
    Last edited by bigten109; 09-05-17 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I routinely get the bug to head down the 7.62 (x39 & x51) path again. But when I dig into it I realize I could just build a primo Grendel for less, and really have the best of all those worlds. (AR15 modularity/parts, recoil, accuracy, exterior ballistics, Etc) Especially now that cheap steelcase Grendel ammo is available in addition to the excellent Hornady match and hunting ammo.

Current AKs are a great $300-400 weapon. But are now inflated far beyond that, and not near the quality. Not interested.

Same for M1A/M14. I'd happily pay a grand for a TRW surplus based build. But you are looking at far more than that for anything that's not full of MIM, and the leap to an DD, FN, LMT or KAC is not that much.

People can collect whatever they want, there's no accounting for taste. (IE: if you have your heart set on an AK, get an AK.) But if you are looking for practical rifles there are better options than what he's looking at.

If I had to have a cold war-era main battle rifle again for practical reasons it would not be an M1A independent of price. I'd be finding a vintage HK91 or one of the early, quality licensed remans. Maybe a Steyr STG-58 based FAL build on Imbel receiver. But would still prefer the HK due to mag availability and modularity.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with having two of the same rifle/pistol. Keeps parts and ammo interchangeability simple. IMHO I would point you towards buying two Arsenal SLR107-11's or two COLT 6920's. He could purchase two of either of these for nearly the price of a single solid M1a from Fulton Armory. I don't really see a full size battle rifle doing anything significantly better than either of these two options. Since you know AR's the COLT option is easy. The SLR107 is a well made and solid AK choice. Purchase RS Regulate mounts for them and add the optics of your choice.

A less expensive option would be one rifle of your platform choice and then two optic setups with quick detach mounts setup for close in and one for a magnified optic. Even less expensive is just adding a low power variable optic to one rifle. Apply the savings towards more ammunition and some training courses.

Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 09-05-17 at 10:28.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    He has been around firearms but never really bought anything nice or gotten into it. He just got his M.D. So I think he is wanting to get himself something for once instead of always passing himself to take care of the family.

I have been looking at the arsenal's and also a SCAR. I would like to sell him in a SCAR 17 and a LPV 1-6.

I believe that would give him the best of both worlds.

Also he's involved with a group of guys that really don't know anything about guns and they are stuck in "stopping power" and stuff like that. Lol

He won't ever reload and will only shoot factory ammo. The guns will probably not get used much but he wants quality to last a life time and be passed on (back to me hopefully) haha.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    It it's function he's looking for the IWI Galil's are AKs with good ergonomics, made in an actual factory with factory support and warranty, and are available in 7.62x39, 556 NATO, and 762 NATO. All of them also come with good sights and optics rails.
    Good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    I'd go premium AR in -39mm caliber, using Ross Zheng multi-caliber mags.
    Another good option.

I'll throw another out since he mentioned the M1A. What about a Ruger Mini30? It has the same basic design as the M1A and is chambered in the AK cartridge (7.62x39), but it's just smaller. It (like the Galil Ace) is a proprietary design, but Ruger is a large company that will be around when most others are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I have been looking at the arsenal's and also a SCAR.
    No, no, no on the Arsenals unless you can personally inspect it and know what you're looking for. They have awesome AK configurations, but their quality is hit or miss.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I made my recommendations based on everyone involved being right handed. Is this a good assumption?

H

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    I made my recommendations based on everyone involved being right handed. Is this a good assumption?

H
    Yup he sure is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The new Galils are pretty much perfect for right handed people. The charging handle is on the left, easy to get to and protected from dirt intrusion by the wobble plate. Safety is in a perfect location, push forward for fire. The mag releases can be hit by your trigger finger if you can reach, if not you can use your left thumb to hit the left side release.

Easy to strip into big, chunky parts, paint over parkerized steel, stock folds for compact storage, comes with tritium night sights, and the reciprocating CH is in the perfect location, far enough back you're not going to tangle your support hand in it. Plus it's lighter than a stock AK even though it's a milled receiver. Balance is also great.

It's the best conventional pattern rifle that I've used and you might say I'm a bit of a fan*.

Happy hunting for the FIL.

H

The Galil is also one of those 'cool kid' guns I've lusted after since I found out they existed in the ’90s, just not lusted after enough to pay collector prices for shot out guns or eye watering prices for new examples.
    Last edited by halmbarte; 09-05-17 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does anyone make extended handguards for the Galil?

Thays one thing I do not like about them. Also I was reading that the full length rail is pretty flexible and they are not accurate with a scope mounted on them. Any truth to this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast