Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 options or M1A?

Feedback Score
    M1A for show. AK for practicality.

If money doesn't matter, get him a side folder AK-104, with RSregulate stuff, maybe a magpul zukhov forend, and aimpoint or 1-4 and a wolverine silencer.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There is a extended hand guard that I think Manticore makes.

The top rail on mine is totally solid. Makes getting the top cover on a bitch without slapping it down into it's recess. It's possible the top cover rail wasn't installed correctly at the factory or the user removed it and didn't reinstall it correctly. The top cover has a set screw that pushes the rail forward to make it lock solidly into the gas tube and remove any slop.

Sadly, I blew out my knee before I could do any extended accuracy testing or repeat dust cover on and off to test for shifting.*

I was seeing accuracy in the 2MOA (Galil 556> range when shooting at 200 yards with a 1.5x ACOG. This was with 55gr Ruag Swiss ammo, which performs very nicely out of everything I've tried it it in.

H

*Just had the knee surgery today and one of my first fun things to do once I'm walking again is going to be to hit the range with the Galil and shoot it like I stole it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The M1A/M14 shouldn't even be considered for practical use. Get one because it looks cool and you like the history.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The M1A/M14 shouldn't even be considered for practical use. Get one because it looks cool and you like the history.
    I don't have a lot of experience with the M14 series. I did do a rifle class with a guy that was shooting a M1A SOCOM. He broke the extractor on day two or three of four and finished the class with his backup rifle.

Of the other 10 guys in class, one other rifle went down for a broken part, a new S&W M&P suffered a broken disconnector.

The only other significant stoppage was a popped primer that seized another AR up solid that required disassembly to remove.

Everything else just worked.

H

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Does anyone make extended handguards for the Galil?

Thays one thing I do not like about them. Also I was reading that the full length rail is pretty flexible and they are not accurate with a scope mounted on them. Any truth to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Midwest Industries does, they have a recent thread in this sub about them. RS Regulate is about to come out with their own as well. The Magpul Zhukov can also be made to fit.
    I have not had any accuracy issues with my rail and 1-8x scope. Maybe separate scope rings is a problem? Plenty of armies are adopting the Galil Ace so I would say this is not much truth to that
    Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 09-06-17 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just a quick recommendation- if he's not shot 7.62 NATO rifles much or hunts with same or larger, then he should shoot one first.

I know many who thought they liked the idea, but reality was very different. Especially if going with one of the lighter ones.

7.62x39 completely different situation. Most of the options are as heavy as the 308's, much less recoil. (And worse ballistics / accuracy).

If they are "stopping power" guys, then they need to do some research. Unless it's just "don't want no matel mouse gun" types in which case it does not much matter what they get, just save your time. Nod and smile.

Or talk them into a SCAR, then buy it at half price when they realize it's not as much fun to shoot as they expected.

Feedback Score
    Quality AK type with low side mount.
    Use a red dot or low mag 1-3x scope.

Definitely skip the m1a.

Consider the AR style if he's willing to be an AR technician. 5.56, .300, 6.8, or .308.

If the rifle won't be a "bench gun", he wants something nicer than ak's, and doesnt want to be a AR technician consider the Tavor, Steyr AUG and Beretta ARX100.

If his interest is heavily into precision his best option is an AR type rifle. If not it opens up other choices.

I have no experience with the SCAR.

After owning all the others except a SCAR and AUG I have an AR10 for precision and an ARX100 for everything else. I haven't fired the ARX much yet honestly but if it let's me down I'm not sure what I'll replace it with.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-09-17 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If money is no object. I would get 2 loaded ARs, 1 7.62 AR, and a cheap AK just to say I had one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not all that hard to set up a quality AK if you know what the quality guns and accessories are.

Arsenal SAM7SF
    https://flic.kr/p/V5e1fZ

Romanian M10-762
    https://flic.kr/p/XmimVX
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    i would go M1A first. best all around rifle IMO. then get the AK when you are tired of buying expensive ammo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast