Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Bikes

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I like that Rad cargo bike, but am leaning towards the Juiced Bikes U500 with long range battery - 60-75 miles on a charge! And you can ride two up.

https://shop.juicedbikes.com/collect...ts/odk-u500-v3
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    BTW on the fitness aspect I may have invented, peddle on zero assist and a low gear hard as possible for 30 seconds, then on full assist for 1 min and repeat for 10 cycles. Could be an excellent HIIT session I'm thinking and plan to try it.
    I do that on my road bike, but use a heart rate monitor to gauge effort and the cycles. I had bilateral knee surgery a couple of years ago and lost a lot of quadriceps strength, so I add in some high gear cycles as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Had the Rad e-bike for a few days and so far it's the most fun I have had with my clothes on in a long time! Built like a tank, yet either effortless to peddle if you wanna peddle, or simply use on power alone. For the $, a steal really when you consider all you can do with it. My early impressions are A+ and reading about others with many miles on them, gives me good feels it will hold up well. You really have to try one to "get" how much fun that is.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I have been tempted by this. Glad u're enjoying. Price is absolutely on par, even under, what bicycles are selling for these days. Do you know how much it is to replace the battery?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been looking into these as an assist for long rides. This design has my attention over all others.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    I have been tempted by this. Glad u're enjoying. Price is absolutely on par, even under, what bicycles are selling for these days. Do you know how much it is to replace the battery?
    No clue, so far no one I know has had to. They seem to last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp45 View Post
    I've been looking into these as an assist for long rides. This design has my attention over all others.

Now that's cool! Looks pricy. If heavily invested in traditional bikes, might make sense. If not, I'd go with a dedicated e bike.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Dedicated would be a better way. I really wouldn't want to mod our Treks.

Sondors thin looks like a reasonable entry level bike.

https://sondors.com/collections/nort...nt=41262548750
    Last edited by jmp45; 09-15-17 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wasn't really interested in e-bikes but am a big Yamaha fan and noticed that they're entering the market with their own bike (rather than just selling the motors for other brands). There aren't any bike shops around here that I'd trust to work on one of these things, but I have a great relationship with the Yamaha dealer and a Yamaha e-bike puts a little different spin on it.

There's an IMBA Silver-level mountain bike trail system here and they just received another $4.1 million in trail construction grants. Mountain biking is huge around here, but e-bikes aren't allowed on either the MTB trails or the extensive paved-trail network, nor on any of the snowmobile trails. Not sure where I'd be able to ride the thing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Wasn't really interested in e-bikes but am a big Yamaha fan and noticed that they're entering the market with their own bike (rather than just selling the motors for other brands). There aren't any bike shops around here that I'd trust to work on one of these things, but I have a great relationship with the Yamaha dealer and a Yamaha e-bike puts a little different spin on it.

There's an IMBA Silver-level mountain bike trail system here and they just received another $4.1 million in trail construction grants. Mountain biking is huge around here, but e-bikes aren't allowed on either the MTB trails or the extensive paved-trail network, nor on any of the snowmobile trails. Not sure where I'd be able to ride the thing.
    I assure you'll find plenty of places. I did a 15 mile ride today that felt like 3-4. Averaged 16mph using peddle assist of 3 (goes 1-5) and probably just cruised on the electric for a good portion of that, and it dropped the charge by one bar out like 6. It's built like a tank. Above level 3 assist it's almost too easy, but it's also nice to cruise along when/of you don't feel like peddling. Peddle assist/electrics are clearly the next big thing in cycling. Mine can do either and that's a nice option. The Rad also allows the battery to be removed easily to recharge separate from the bike, an option that does not seem common with other ebikes from what I have seen so far. I also like the hub motor vs using the chain for added power as it puts more stress on the chain and related gear of the assist does so via the chain. I suspect the Yamaha will be a step up from the Rad, but the $ will reflect that.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I assure you'll find plenty of places. I did a 15 mile ride today that felt like 3-4. Averaged 16mph using peddle assist of 3 (goes 1-5) and probably just cruised on the electric for a good portion of that, and it dropped the charge by one bar out like 6. It's built like a tank. Above level 3 assist it's almost too easy, but it's also nice to cruise along when/of you don't feel like peddling. Peddle assist/electrics are clearly the next big thing in cycling. Mine can do either and that's a nice option. The Rad also allows the battery to be removed easily to recharge separate from the bike, an option that does not seem common with other ebikes from what I have seen so far. I also like the hub motor vs using the chain for added power as it puts more stress on the chain and related gear of the assist does so via the chain. I suspect the Yamaha will be a step up from the Rad, but the $ will reflect that.
    I'm afraid I'd miss the workout. My options are to ride the the road (shoulders = dangerous), the extensive paved trail network (no ebikes allowed), or the mountain bike trails (no ebikes allowed). I'd be interested to try the technical challenge of riding the things on the trails. I think it would be fun to blast up those hard climbs (I keep getting passed uphill by the damn kids on the local high school mountain bike team) but that's not going to happen.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-16-17 at 18:14.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast