Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody drop some Dove on the Sept early hunt?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    They are a pain ain't they though?!?
    My favorite hunting is dove and duck. Something about wing shooting.

And Papabear I'm the same way. One day I hit 5 ducks with one shell and the next day I can't hit the ground with three shells!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I wish it was going better for you City Rat, I nailed about 10 today. Keep in mind I took 4,000 shots. I seem to think a shotgun is a 1,000 yard rifle, LOL! I seriously shot so poorly today, birds were coasting by at 15mph and I would pump 3 rounds and they wouldn't even scatter. NO THREAT. I thought , Jesus, am I firing blanks??? I missed one sitting still at 20 yards, I shit you not, I just laughed. My last outing I was on fire, but today, no no no.

It was still big fun.

PB
    PB, that was a great post. Thanks. I'm actually good, I'm seeing birds, getting shots on game and, occasionally lol, I pop one and don't walk out of the woods with an empty poke.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have gotten to hunt one time so far. Of course, birds disappeared around me for the opener. So, I had to travel down the road a bit and pay to hunt. It was a pretty big group hunt (~50 guns) on 300 acres of cut milo. We were hoping for a big Eurasian hunt, but we were off of the X by ~400 yards. It was still a great hunt with quick and easy limits of White-wings. Still managed a few Eurasians and some Pigeons. Our group probably saw 5-6K birds by 0930. Birds finally came back to my area, but now I'm stuck at work. Just the way it goes.

It was the first time to take my A400 out, and I really like it. I'm looking forward to duck season, but I'll probably be stuck at work for most of it.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My son and I went opening day here, 9/2, and we limited out in about 3 hours. Birds were flying really well even though we had a heavy fog/mist come through about 8am. That lasted for about 30 minutes or so and then it went away. Before and afterwards it was really overcast so the birds weren't flying too high at all. We were hunting a sunflower/millet field. I was shooting a Benelli 28ga semi and he was shooting my A400.

I'm looking forward to duck season also. Cant wait for November.

Oct 12-22 will be a blast also. I'll be in Palestine Texas running my lab in the Master National Retriever Test. This is the super bowl of hunt test at the end of the year and we qualified for it. After that we'll be waterfowling until the season ends.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 09-11-17 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    Ok first best of luck with your pup. What a great achievement for you both!

5-6k birds!!! If that had happened to me on opening day I'd be looking around for a camera crew shooting the re-make of the Hitchcock movie. Still no cut fields here so the squadrons are flying elsewhere. At this rate I"ll be happy for another couple of birds to get to a half dozen. Measley for most I know but the way they are flying this year it can only get better. Think that I found a pond and might try my hand at waterfowl this year. Always looking for a challenge.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Feedback Score
    late to the thread but only got out twice. friends farm has been managed for dove for the last 20 years. shot our limit each time. better than shooting them was the dove poppers on the grill with a cold beer the next day. Nothing better from the field than a jalepeno with cream cheese, dove ,and bacon. getting hungry now.

*edit - should add that as you guys have joked one day I shot well, the other was a 2.5 box day. wingshooting is humbling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12