Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is DIESEL FUEL still available in bugout states?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    full sized trucks are much more comfortable to ride in while wearing a plate carrier.......
    Yeah Hiluxs suck for that! I want a 100 series LC with the Diesel engine. I have contemplated buying one overseas and mailing that bitch home!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Titan with the small Cummins is neat, but I just can't justify the expense for a truck that carries less with minimal mpg gain.
    Yeah the Titan XD is a head turner for sure, first time I saw one I was driving on I40 in TN and didn't know what it was until I got close enough I could read the badges.

Pinzgauer, what in your opinion is the "best" (read that best bang for the buck) diesel truck available in the US be it used or new production? I understand that is pretty vague and subjective. I'll be looking for a quad-cab daily driver sometime in the not so far off future. Your comments in another thread about diesels concerning the mpg/consumption rate to same size and even smaller gas engines peaked my curiosity.

What do you think of the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon's 2.8-liter Duramax diesel? Not that I'll be getting into another mid-size but these have peaked my interest as well. But if the mpg isn't there then it kind of defeats the purpose.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 09-21-17 at 03:44.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Yeah the Titan XD is a head turner for sure, first time I saw one I was driving on I40 in TN and didn't know what it was until I got close enough I could read the tags.

Pinzgauer, what in your opinion is the "best" (read that best bang for the buck) diesel truck available in the US be it used or new production? I understand that is pretty vague and subjective. I'll be looking for a quad-cab daily driver sometime in the not so far off future. Your comments in another thread about diesels concerning the mpg/consumption rate to same size and even smaller gas engines peaked my curiosity.

What do you think of the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon's 2.8-liter Duramax diesel? Not that I'll be getting into another mid-size but these have peaked my interest as well. But if the mpg isn't there then it kind of defeats the purpose.
    I'm in the same boat. I am honestly hoping that Toyota produces a 4-door turbo-diesel Tundra in the next few years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I am honestly hoping that Toyota produces a 4-door turbo-diesel Tundra in the next few years.
    Toyota is supposed to bring to market a Tundra CrewMax diesel. I would prefer to get another Toyota but have no need of a dually. Looks bad ass and I think Toyota could bring a lot to the super duty market.

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If they would make that rear axle a bit narrower, I'd be immensely pleased. It's hard enough parking a full-sized truck at work, much less a dually.

I don't need to tow anything. But a locking tonneau cover on a CrewMax 5.5" bed would be perfect.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I would choose a Dodge or even Ford one-ton diesel over a Toyota any day of the week, and I'll never choose a Dodge or Ford. If Toyota chooses to bring a diesel to the half-ton market, that's one thing...no thanks to them in the HD market. Toyota isn't as awesome as their reputation claims in the markets they are currently competing.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What would you recommend then? I think that leaves Chevy, GMC and Nissan?

And a one-ton would also be overkill for me. I'd be perfectly content with a half-ton.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    They all have their own issues, but I only spend my money on GM vehicles. I have been served well, and I beat the shit out of my vehicles.

I do want a <'03 100 series LC, for fun and travel, though.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Hmmmm......

I just looked online at a 2017 Serra 2500 HD with the diesel engine, and they start at 48 grand.

That's a fair bit of change. I'd need to drive it for at least 15 years to make that work. You think that's doable? 250K miles?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I would choose a Dodge or even Ford one-ton diesel over a Toyota any day of the week, and I'll never choose a Dodge or Ford. If Toyota chooses to bring a diesel to the half-ton market, that's one thing...no thanks to them in the HD market. Toyota isn't as awesome as their reputation claims in the markets they are currently competing.
    My first vehicle was an '82 Silverado long wide. Ever since then it's been Tacomas.

Looking at getting a new (new to me) truck I really don't care if it's x, y, z, brand. I just want the engine with the best fuel consumption and lowest maintenance.

Lurking on truck / diesel sites I've come to find high marks on the 2010 GMCs. But finding a low mileage seven year old truck is going to be next to impossible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast