Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting ergonomics with thin gloves

Feedback Score

Shooting ergonomics with thin gloves

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of shooting with gloves on. Im not talking about winter gloves though. For example, I use these ultra thin breathable grippy "Ninja" gloves at work (same as Gorilla Grip gloves from Home Depot). Shooting any type of gun with these on has been fantastic. Has anyone else used similar gloves that offer virtually no protection but extreme ergonomics? Any perceivable drawback to training this way?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Mo...-030/202709681

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mercs; 09-08-17 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    Took a 2 day class wearing similar gloves, did fine. They did help with the heat, albeit not as well as something more substantial. A great utility glove.

Feedback Score
    Get a pair of Pig FDTs.

They are the best compromise shooting glove I've ever used. Feel similar to the grippy shitass gloves you get at homedepot for doing handiwork, but are made of ripstop cordura, with padding on the parts of your hands that get abused during dynamic shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Get a pair of Pig FDTs.

They are the best compromise shooting glove I've ever used. Feel similar to the grippy shitass gloves you get at homedepot for doing handiwork, but are made of ripstop cordura, with padding on the parts of your hands that get abused during dynamic shooting.
    I like the sound of this. Price isn't bad either. Do those gloves make your hands sweat though? One thing I do really like about the cheapos is they have extreme ventilation properties

Feedback Score
    If your shooting involves glass and vehicles, it isnt a bad idea to use gloves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    I like the sound of this. Price isn't bad either. Do those gloves make your hands sweat though? One thing I do really like about the cheapos is they have extreme ventilation properties.
    They breathe really well. The material on the webbing of the thumb, and on sides of the fingers, is very well ventilated. I didn't experience any problems with them when doing all-day range sessions in 90+ degree, 80%+ humidity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    They breathe really well. The material on the webbing of the thumb, and on sides of the fingers, is very well ventilated. I didn't experience any problems with them when doing all-day range sessions in 90+ degree, 80%+ humidity.
    Awesome thanks a lot. I'll grab a pair

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Last course I took, the instructor told me "gloves are ghey" and made me remove mine. Nice guy and he was correct that I'm a better shooter without them, but I definitely feel that practicing with them is important if you're going to use/carry them.

I shoot better with no gloves because I have far more experience that way, but I do practice with gloves because it takes an extra bit of mental effort to keep the trigger finger off because there is almost no tactile feel with gloves on. Mag reloads and general shooting is fine. Trigger control is lessened with gloves of course.

I would recommend practicing both malf drills and working with small items as well. I'm 30% slower doing malf drills with gloves (timed, can't see where the time is lost but need practice regardless). When it comes to grabbing/using small flashlights, opening blades, using pens... clumsy as hell with gloves.

In NC, at least 2 months in the year 1/6 of the year you need gloves if you're outdoors for any significant length of time. Not an option for me to not be able to operate my primary competently knowing that. Not the same in SoCal or Tampa (though you may need a snorkel in Tampa soon)
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 09-09-17 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I bought some Camleback FROG gloves when they were dumped on the market a couple of years ago. I like em, to test them out one night I wore them while reading a paperback book, had no problems turning the pages and after a while forgot I had them on. Thought that was a pretty good indicator of how they work, caveat is I bought a smaller size then normal, they were a tight fit at first but do stretch out to fit your hands. IMO proper fit is very important for a glove that you basically want to be a second layer of skin.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Another set of gloves to look at if you want closefitting gloves with some grippy texture to the palm are the Outdoor Research Ironsight gloves.
    They run small and don't fit me, so I have no personal opinion, but I have heard many good things about the quality of OR's gloves.

Frankly, I wasn't aware that anyone was using gloves to specifically gain an ergonomic advantage... I've always worn gloves for protection from either cold or cuts. If I need more dexterity, they come off...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast