Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which round for big game AR-15?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Which round for big game AR-15?

Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    After hunting with 300blk for a few years, I've switched to 6.8x43. I took a few deer with the 300blk, but I lost one on what I could swear was a good shot.

The 6.8 puts up respectable velocities, particularly through the ARP barrels. The ARP super bolts get good reviews, and I have had no trouble with them.

PRI makes reliable 10round mags that allow loading past SAAMI spec of 2.26". They're not cheap, but whatever.

Though I handload for 5.56, 300blk, 6.8x43, and .308, I've ended up buying a couple thousand rounds of Hornady 110 hpbt factory ammo for the 6.8. It's good stuff, and it's a cost effective way to get 6.8 brass.

For hunting I handload the Nosler 100 grain accubond at ~2,600fps.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 09-08-17 at 23:00.

Feedback Score
    I went with the Grendel. ASC makes reliable magazines. Maxim makes the best bolts in my opinion. There's plenty of ammo choices from academy sports if you don't reload. I don't think an animal will know the difference Inside 300yds between the grendel and the SPC. The Grendel seems to be better out to 1000+ if your interested in hitting steel at long distance. Better bc and less wind drift. If you don't mind shooting steel case ammo to plink with then you can get wolf for $5-6/20rds

sent from Windows Phone 10 using tapatalk

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another vote for the Grendel. Almost (finally) finished with my Grendel build. In addition to ASC, E-Lander makes good mags. I have several 25rd mags and a couple of 4rd mags for hunting deer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Stevens View Post

That's a great pic!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    That's a great pic!
    Thanks. That was 123gr SST at 100yds. I got a 22" Satern barrel from a group buy on msrhunt. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor SR-25 platform but the Grendel is my favorite.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by C. Stevens; 09-12-17 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Grendel. Great ballistics, pretty much optimal for AR-15 platform. Especially if you do much 200 yds and greater

Excellent ammo options from match to cheap (but reliable) steel case

Inherently accurate, descended from bench rest cartridges. Yet tweaked for full auto mil work

Deadly on game with very broad range of animals taken

BTW, mags are not an issue. I use elander of late, but have never had and issue getting mags or with reliability. And been shooting Grendel about a decade

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great info. Thanks guys. Now I just have to move to a state that allows semi-autos for big game hunting.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    6.5 Grendel. Designed for the exact purpose you stated- hunting deer and antelope-sized animals out to 300 yards or so with an AR-15. Very accurate with several varieties of factory ammo from which to choose. If you handload, even better as brass is available from several manufacturers (I use Lapua) and 100-130 grain bullets available from every maker in all flavors (bonded, SP, match, varmint, etc).

I'm still using the original C-Products mags I bought five years ago and have never had a problem. This round seems to be getting more poplar lately with factory bolt guns now available from Howa and CZ.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast