Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which round for big game AR-15?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    Great info. Thanks guys. Now I just have to move to a state that allows semi-autos for big game hunting.
    A bolt gun like the CZ mini mauser or Sako short action in 6.8 or 6.5 G would be pretty cool too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another Grendel tip: the Hornady 123g Amax and the SST are ballistically identical, pretty much shoot to same POI.

There are Berger, Barnes, etc loadings, but the Hornady 123g profile was optimized for the Grendel and just works great in both Match and hunting loadings. The Amax loading is extremely accurate in most guns, had one heavy barrel Grendel that the most accurate I've ever owned with factory Hornady.

To be clear, you won't get creedmore velocities. Go AR10 if you want that. But for a light recoiling gamestopper in the AR15 form factor, hard to beat. Especially if you like to shoot past 100yds.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    As most of the AMAX line has been phased out, I'm interested to see if the 123gr ELD will yield similar results as did the AMAX. As there are both 120 and 123 gr 6.5mm ELD's, I'm assuming the latter is still made with the Grendel in mind, but in haven't done any testing yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    As most of the AMAX line has been phased out, I'm interested to see if the 123gr ELD will yield similar results as did the AMAX. As there are both 120 and 123 gr 6.5mm ELD's, I'm assuming the latter is still made with the Grendel in mind, but in haven't done any testing yet.
    I also love Grendel. Great stuff.

There's a small ammunition maker near the range where I shoot. A couple weeks ago, he was testing 175 gn .308 ELD vs. AMAX, since as you mentioned AMAX is being phased out. He found that while the ELD was just as consistent as the AMAX, there was close to an MOA shift right on POI (almost no wind that day and shooting 100-300 yds). We were puzzled by this.

Last weekend, I brought out my 168 gn .308 ELD & AMAX loads, and had similar results. I don't know that will carry over to 6.5 projectiles, and I've only loaded ELD for Grendel, but it goes to show why it's recommended to zero based on ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ditto on the Grendel or other AR15 compatible 6mm or 6.5. That said, I have no problems w/ my -39mm AR. I'd bet good handloading could turn it into a 300-yd antelope rifle. Accuracy in that caliber is amazing!

You mentioned mag capacity, but many states limit the amount to no more than 5 total, so you may need to block even a 5-rnd mag so that w/ round in chamber there's only 5 max.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    Great info. Thanks guys. Now I just have to move to a state that allows semi-autos for big game hunting.
    Naw man. You can get a Howa bull barreled mini action and an lss chassis. That would be one very nice bolt gun. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod95995.aspx

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    I did the same research earlier this year. The 6.8spc and 6.5g will both be the functionally the same at 300yds.

6.8 bolts are stronger (more material) with more factory ammo choices. Designed for shorter barrels.

6.5g is the sexy caliber at the moment. Better than 6.8 for long range target past 500yds. Considered more prone to jam when feeding (conditions vary). Designed for longer barrels.

I have both. But for deer hunting, a 16" 6.8spc (ARP) barrel in the woods gives a true recce AR15 type system that uses the full potential of the round. If you like hunting with long barrels, an 18-20" Grendel is considered the best compromise though full potential is from a 24" barrel (as I recall).

And if you want a 6.5 in a 6.8 spc case, that wildcat option is out there.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This has been hashed out in many threads and often devolves into a heated debate for some odd reason. Here in Montana, several of us went through this debate back in 2011-12 and then later in 2015. Several of us, myself included built 6.8 SPC II rifles. In 2 seasons we have harvested: 3 Antelope (Ranges 200-300), 1 Cow Elk (350 YDS), 1 Large Whitetail buck (<100 YDS), 1 Large Muley Buck (355 YDS) all with the 6.8 SPC.

Between case profile as it relates to feeding, bullet selection, barrel lengths with performance, logistical support of ammunition and the 15+ and growing manufactures who produce OEM 6.8s, among other factors we chose the 6.8. Ultimately I see us loading up some 130 grain custom loads for the 6.8 in the future.

The 6.8 is awesome and I am very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    There are some great game bullets out there for the .223/5.56 mm, but there are also states which require a larger caliber. You can also make the argument that the round simply lacks the energy and bullet weight to ensure deep penetration and a quick kill on a heavy bodied deer.
    You can't make a honest argument against the 5.56 with the bullets available these days. "Energy" is not measure of wounding ability, and bonded or solid copper have plenty of penetration for deer.

300 BLK, 7.62x39, and 30-30 I would consider functionally identical for hunting. I'd pick 300 BLK for feeding in an AR over 7.62x39.

If you want a bit more range and bullet weight there is nothing wrong with that. The 6.8 and 6.5 don't have much difference at hunting ranges. Pick what you like and avoid the crazy arguments that people get into over them.

One thing I have to say about the 6.5 is I don't think it has any range advantage for hunting. Bullet performance should limit the range for ethical hunting before any real ballistic difference.

I've seen both more hunting bullets and loads for the 6.8 on the shelf, in my AO at least. Your AO may be different or if you buy online then it's not a concern.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:42.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast