Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a steam cleaner for use with guns and corrosive ammo...

Feedback Score
    In regards to Steam Cleaners, try looking at Vapamore.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've read quite a few posts on multiple websites concerning the neutralization of corrosive salts from shooting surplus ammunition. I am no chemist, but I've read that ammonia may or may not help in neutralizing salts depending on who is posting. I am not sure either way.

I shoot a great deal of corrosive 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R. I've been successfully using Windex followed up with Hoppe's No. 9 for over 20 years to clean the bores in my old surplus military bolt action rifles and it works. I push a sopping wet patch soaked in Windex through the bore, wait a few minutes, then push dry patches through the bore. I repeat the process with the Windex, then clean like I normally would with Hoppe's No. 9. I spray Windex on the bolt and wipe it down before cleaning like I normally would.

After I push a patch through the bore that looks clean when it exits the muzzle, I lightly oil the inside of the barrel. I push a patch wetted with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil through the bore to finish up. A few days later I push a dry patch through the bore and usually see dirt drawn out of the metal by detergents in the motor oil. I clean the bore again with Hoppe's No. 9, then wet a patch with Mobil 1 and push it through the bore.

If you have an old rifle bolt or gas cylinder with a lot of gunk on it that just won't come off, you can boil the part. I drop the part(s) in an old pot on my gas barbeque grill and boil it for several minutes. All of the oil will be drawn out of the metal, so you want to make sure you put a light coat of oil on the part(s) after they dry off.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12