Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Are you hunting this year, if so, with what?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will be using my new acquired 450 bushmaster here in Ohio, finally got it running yesterday after some trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Passed on this one this morning.... For everyone on the right coast, the PNW doesn't have larger white tail, we have black tail, and mule deer which are much smaller. The flip side, is that the rest of the country doesn't see much in the way of Elk.

Tell us why you passed? He looks like a shooter to me but I don't know what else you have around...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I am able to go (health issues), I have been using the rifle that my Dad gave me when I was about 12 y/o. It is a first year production Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 that has the Schnabel forearm, and factory length 18 1/2" barrel. It's topped with a Leupold 3-9x scope. I feed it my own reloads that use the Barnes 120 gr TSX.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Texas Whitetail with my Colt 14.5" AR, shooting Hornady 75gr TAP T2. Longest available shot from my stand is ~150yds.

Attachment 48087
    Bagged two deer this weekend using this combo;

1) Spike at ~110yds, one shot kill after 10yd stagger. Squared up right to left, heart & lungs turned to chunky strawberry jelly. Clementine Orange size exit hole through ribs.

2) Doe at ~95yds, one shot kill, DRT. Shot from right rear to front left side behind the shoulder, blew up both lungs, golfball size hole through ribs on way out, lodged inside front left shoulder, breaking it.

Very, very impressed with the Hornady bullets. Destructive.

edited: mixed up how I shot which deer
    Last edited by TexasAggie2005; 11-10-17 at 08:11. Reason: mixed up shots on deer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Bagged two deer this weekend using this combo;

1) Spike at ~110yds, one shot kill after 10yd stagger. Shot from right rear to front left side behind the shoulder, blew up both lungs, golfball size hole through ribs on way out, lodged inside front left shoulder, breaking it.

2) Doe at ~95yds, one shot kill, DRT. Squared up right to left, heart & lungs turned to chunky strawberry jelly. Clementine Orange size exit hole through ribs.

Very, very impressed with the Hornady bullets. Destructive.

Congrats on the deer! Are those the BTHP bullets? What is the muzzle velocity? Any pics of the recovered bullet?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Congrats on the deer! Are those the BTHP bullets? What is the muzzle velocity? Any pics of the recovered bullet?
    Thanks, family will be eating good this Christmas!

- Are those the BTHP bullets? Yes

- What is the muzzle velocity? 2,643 ft/s from a Colt 14.5"

- Any pics of the recovered bullet? Nope, none recovered. But here is a pic of the exit wound on the spike.

edited: mixed up how I shot which deer

Attachment 48552
    Last edited by TexasAggie2005; 11-10-17 at 08:11. Reason: mixed up shots on deer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks TXAggie!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mrs Stick was going to use the Elk meat, but went with Venison instead. Yum.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Mrs Stick was going to use the Elk meat, but went with Venison instead. Yum.

Man, that looks good right now. Follow it with a nice glass of Bourbon and you are living!

I'm going to start a chili recipe thread here in the hunting section.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Man, that looks good right now. Follow it with a nice glass of Bourbon and you are living!

I'm going to start a chili recipe thread here in the hunting section.
    Please post it over in this section as well, a general recipe thread would be awesome.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast