Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you hunting this year, if so, with what?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Going out tomorrow morning with tags for antlered elk and deer (whitetail or muley), black bear, wolf and mountain lion. Right now I'm using a 2013 Matthews Creed. Later, if unsuccessful, I'll switch to my general purpose 300 WBY/Swaro Z5 combo. I've just started a Dimick-style plains rifle that I hope will be done in time for late-season muzzleloader (antlerless deer and elk this time) in December.

Feedback Score
    Hunting rig: kill pic below.

Hoyt carbon Defiant 34
    Gold Tip arrows topped with Montecs. 380gr arrows.

Group last year, haven't gone past 18yds recently as I don't have access to local property.

57yds:

And just to break in the thread- first kill with the bow (20 yds with G5 S.G.H.)
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-10-17 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    Crossbow

S&W 460 XVR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    For squirrel this year, fox and bobcat early next year, a CZ 455 varmint in 22lr. I'll continue to hunt yotes with one of my AR's chambered in 223 wylde. If I go deer hunting I'll use the same rifle. 69 grain TMK's seem to do the trick with heart, neck, and head shots on does.

I don't really "trophy" hunt any more. I've killed more than my share of bucks with big antlers. 2 bow kills that would easily make P&Y and a few rifle kills on 140 class bucks. My friends always gave me crap about not having them officially scored. I always felt they were personal victories and didn't. I think the antlers from the bow kills are still in the barn loft at my parents. The others I don't know.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    .458 with Leopold

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Hunting will be minimal this year. I've got a pheasant hunt coming up next month, I'll use one of my Benelli's.

I "hunt" mostly out of this for much of the year...hunt fish that is....although I plan to hunt some ducks on the river with it soon.

Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 09-10-17 at 23:01.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'll be hunting deer this year in NE Arkansas, and or SW Missouri. Benelli Supernova tactical with remington 1oz 1560fps "slugger" slugs. Longest shot anyone's ever taken in those areas where I'm going is 75 yards. I took a 25 yard shot there 2 years ago. Cannot physically see over 100 at the most due to terrain and so forth. Also, I'll post a picture later today of the shotgun

Forgive me for slacking, photo of the shotgun is forthcoming. In the mean time, here is my zero target for 50 yards. 3 shots. Ready for deer!

Single cold-bore shot at 75 yards, 1.4" low just like Remington says it should be with a 50y zero.

Last edited by WS6; 09-14-17 at 00:21.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Hunting rig: kill pic below.

Hoyt carbon Defiant 34

Group last year, haven't gone past 18yds recently as I don't have access to local property.

57yds:

And just to break in the thread- first kill with the bow (20 yds with G5 S.G.H.)
    Good shooting. How's that Hoyt carbon treating you? A while back I remember talking to you about it but haven't seen any new updates. Looks like your slinging them in there pretty tight. Any group you can grab 3 with one hand is excellent shooting in my book. If you get out to CO with your bow I have some 3D targets out as far as you want to shoot. Oh and nice trophy kill on the counter there. People don't realize how tough that is with a bow.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    [QUOTE=MegademiC;2533421]Hunting rig: kill pic below.

Hoyt carbon Defiant 34

I'm shooting a Hoyt Carbon Spyder and love it. A lot quieter than my previous Hoyt Razr.

As far as rifle hunting is concerned I hunted my LMT MWS
    IMG_0905.jpg

This year I'll be hunting with a 300blk that I built. It has a Noveske Gen3 lower, BCM Lower parts kit, Geissele SD-C trigger, BCM Upper, Noveske 14.5" Barrel, Geissele rail and AAC Brakeout muzzle device.
    IMG_0974.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Early Anterless is 10/19-10/21

Main Firearms for my intensive zone is 11/04-11/19.

Got a nice piece of property I can hunt, about 5 acres or so. Even with my home firing range, we have a good population of bucks with 4-6 points, they don't seem scared off like the first year I was shooting a bunch. I have seen 3-4 button bucks I keep wanting for antlerless. But, also, a good few does.

I haven't invested in trail cams as I just bait with molasses lick on our trees in the front yard and can watch them from the living room window.

I will be breaking out the .30-.30 this year. It was a family heirloom, on my Wife's family side, and none of the hunt anymore. I owe it to them to get a couple with that rifle before I switch to the .300 blkout build I have planned.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-11-17 at 14:12.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast