• 12.5" Zion Pistol/SBR

9 64.29%
  • 11.5 PSA Upper Only

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which route would you go?

Feedback Score

Which route would you go?

I've been rethinking my AR configurations. Currently I have a 16" midlength "all purpose" rifle that is set up perfectly for me and I have two SBR'd lowers. One is a 10.5" that is set up for my wife. She is very small and the 10.5" is her preferred length. So that leaves me with another SBR'd lower to work with (currently setup as a fun range toy). My ideal configurations would be a 10.5", a 12.5", a 14.5", and a 16" rifle. I've got the 10.5 and the 16 already covered. Now I'm trying to decide what do about the remaining options.

Option 1: I've spec'd out a 14.5" complete rifle setup the way I like with light, optic, and a CHF upper from PSA for $1350 total.

Option 2: I've spec'd out a new IWI Zion 12.5 pistol with optic, light, and assorted accessories for $1050 total. Or I could SBR it for $1250 total. (Has the midlength gas system)

Option 3: Or PSA has a sale on an 11.5" upper (even though it's not the 12.5" that I would prefer and has carbine gas instead of midlength) and I could spec out just the upper with light, optic, accessories for $700 and use it with the SBR'd lower that I already have. Obviously the PSA 11.5" upper only is the cheapest option, but it's a compromise choice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some thoughts:

Just say no to psa

Title 1 firearms should be the default unless you really need the NFA configuration. KISS, avoid the headache and red tape and hoops and far easier illegalities, avoid registration, avoid a $200 voluntary tax, be able to easily sell if you want, etc. A pinned 14.5" is not cumbersome, and it shouldn't be hard to marry a muzzle device to one of several ARs

Just say no to psa

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I promise I’m not trying to be a dick here- how much training have you had? For those prices you and your wife could take a 2-day carbine course from a non-theory based instructor(sans ammo).
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Some thoughts:

Just say no to psa

Title 1 firearms should be the default unless you really need the NFA configuration. KISS, avoid the headache and red tape and hoops and far easier illegalities, avoid registration, avoid a $200 voluntary tax, be able to easily sell if you want, etc. A pinned 14.5" is not cumbersome, and it shouldn't be hard to marry a muzzle device to one of several ARs

Just say no to psa
    Always had good luck with PSA stuff, especially their CHF uppers. These would only be for home defense, not duty guns.
    Last edited by Olympus; 08-11-21 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I promise I’m not trying to be a dick here- how much training have you had? For those prices you and your wife could take a 2-day carbine course from a non-theory based instructor(sans ammo).
    My brother is retired army and owns a training company. I've taken a lot of his classes over the years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind of optic and light are you pricing out that's only about $1k for complete upper, and assorted accessories, and optic, and light?

Feedback Score
    What kind of optic and light are you pricing out that's only about $1k for complete upper, and assorted accessories, and optic, and light?
    Like the other guy said, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I'm not really interested in talking about optic/light/accessory choices. I'm not using cheap stuff, but I'm also not using Modlite and Nightforce stuff either. I'm comfortable with my choices, just looking for opinions on which setup to go with first. I plan on adding both the 14.5 and a 12.5/11.5 in the future, but I can only afford one right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I'm not using cheap stuff
    So PSA level?

My vote is the not-PSA option, and not-NFA since there is no compelling need.

Now, if you were going to suppress it and wanted it to still be short, I'd say get a top shelf short barrel upper, stamp it or put on a stamped lower you already have whatever, and put the can on for an ending OAL equal to a standard 16" rifle.
    Last edited by Warp; 08-11-21 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    So PSA level?

My vote is the not-PSA option
    I'm an FFL and my brother's training company is sponsored by a several companies that offer 50% off MSRP on their products. But like I said, I'd prefer to get back to the actual topic of this thread.

I don't have plans on adding a suppressor at this time.
    Last edited by Olympus; 08-11-21 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Which route would you go?

You already have a SBR lower. I would buy a 12.5” upper for it (you already have a 10.5”) and be good until you have the money for a good complete 14.5” rifle.
    I would prefer 12.5” and mid length. Check Ballistics Advantage. They make good 12.5” uppers.
    Last edited by 202; 08-11-21 at 11:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast