Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brownells A1 furniture

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    is it quality like original parts or what?
    If they are making them out of updated material, which the brown and green seem to indicate, those could/should be better than originals for actual use. A2 butts and firearms tend to crack less.

Seems like Type D stocks tend to crack less than A1 type in the original material at least.

One way to check would be touching a soldering iron to the pistol grip in a discreet spot. A2 will allow stippling while A1 originals won't in the few that I have laying around.

Feedback Score
    I have no reference on what an actual A1 stock and hand guard feel like. The furniture feels like regular injection mold plastic to me. Atleast the black set. The hand guard has internal ribs under the heat shield. Not that this rifle will be used as anything more than a range toy, it seems like the plastic is going to melt after a day of shooting. The stock and grip seem of good quality though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I built a rifle with the new furniture, but then put my NOS hand guards back on. The Brownells stuff looks great and fits well, but the hand guards are slightly smaller at the big end. The original stuff was made with a fiberglass type material, I think the Retro parts have more modern nylon in the mix. If you're building a clone / shooter its perfect, which is what I did, not so much for a restoration of an original SP1, etc, or building with original parts.

They have just about everything now, including non-fa chrome BCGs, A1 rear sights. I understand XM grey upper and lowers are coming. My rifle was built with NDS parts.

Last edited by jurassic; 10-21-17 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plumpsquirrel3 View Post
    I have no reference on what an actual A1 stock and hand guard feel like. The furniture feels like regular injection mold plastic to me. Atleast the black set. The hand guard has internal ribs under the heat shield. Not that this rifle will be used as anything more than a range toy, it seems like the plastic is going to melt after a day of shooting. The stock and grip seem of good quality though.
    I doubt they'll melt, but if they did Brownells has the best warranty in the business.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is the stock of similar construction of an A2?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Is the stock of similar construction of an A2?
    Other than the Zytel polymer outer shell, no not at all.

It isn't foam filled like an A2 stock, it's hollow with a separate polymer support piece inside that flops around until the stock is installed on to the buffer tube.

Also, the buttplate does not have any plastic overmolded steel reinforcing where the upper stock screw goes through... This is my biggest problem with the stock so far.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-25-17 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Other than the Zytel polymer outer shell, no not at all.

It isn't foam filled like an A2 stock, it's hollow with a separate polymer support piece inside that flops around until the stock is installed on to the buffer tube.

Also, the buttplate does not have any plastic overmolded steel reinforcing where the upper stock screw goes through... This is my biggest problem with the stock so far.
    You guys have to remember, this is a reproduction of a D type buttstock. Much different construction that an A2 buttstock and even an M16A1 E type buttstock to a degree.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    You guys have to remember, this is a reproduction of a D type buttstock. Much different construction that an A2 buttstock and even an M16A1 E type buttstock to a degree.
    I've never had a real type D stock, so I can only compare it to the A2 stocks that I've had before.

Were real type D buttplates not steel reinforced around where the screw goes through?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I've never had a real type D stock, so I can only compare it to the A2 stocks that I've had before.

Were real type D buttplates not steel reinforced around where the screw goes through?
    The only reinforcement for the screw is the buttplate. The only screw is the one that screws into the receiver extension. The lower portion of the buttplate and the sling swivel are held into position with a roll pin. This is much unlike the E type and A2 buttstocks where there is a lower screw that goes through the sling swivel to secure the buttplate.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I'd really like one of these stocks, but I also really enjoy having stock storage. Is there any buttplate for these that has a storage door?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast