Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brownells A1 furniture

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The only reinforcement for the screw is the buttplate. The only screw is the one that screws into the receiver extension. The lower portion of the buttplate and the sling swivel are held into position with a roll pin. This is much unlike the E type and A2 buttstocks where there is a lower screw that goes through the sling swivel to secure the buttplate.
    Yes, I'm aware of the fact that there is no swivel screw on a type D stock. What I'm trying to find out is if there is steel reinforcement molded into the buttplate (where the screw goes through) of a real type D stock? Just as with the A1/A2 trap door buttplates.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of the fact that there is no swivel screw on a type D stock. What I'm trying to find out is if there is steel reinforcement molded into the buttplate (where the screw goes through) of a real type D stock? Just as with the A1/A2 trap door buttplates.
    I don't remember seeing any steel on the buttplate on mine unless its molded inside (which I doubt).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As far as I can tell based on mine, there is no steel in the butt of a Type D stock. I put one of those tiny little watch-battery sized magnets into the screw hole in the buttplate and it didn't give any indication of sticking to anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    As far as I can tell based on mine, there is no steel in the butt of a Type D stock. I put one of those tiny little watch-battery sized magnets into the screw hole in the buttplate and it didn't give any indication of sticking to anything.
    Interesting, I couldn't find any steel in my Brownells type D buttplate using a magnet either.

I guess I might not be able to ding them for this then.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-28-17 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    The good news is the handguard didn't melt. I put about two hundred and fifty rounds through it. No mag dumps, just a steady semi auto rate of fire.
    On another note, the A1 isn't very enjoyable to shoot as a lefty. Obviously.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I'd really like one of these stocks, but I also really enjoy having stock storage. Is there any buttplate for these that has a storage door?
    Same length as the D, but with storage:

http://www.cavmfg.com/C1-Buttstock-C1.htm

I seem to recall reading their buttplate isn't too great and best to use an A2.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 11-02-17 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I'd really like one of these stocks, but I also really enjoy having stock storage. Is there any buttplate for these that has a storage door?
    Call Randy at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) to see if they still have any E type stocks. They did have them for $15 (minus the buffer tube, buffer, and spring) at one time. These are the trapdoor type stocks. They look like this.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Numrich used to carry tons of the A1 take off stocks, both the trap door storage and the solid foam filled types.

According to the online catalog, they only have two of the trap door models (and they look pretty ratty):

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/564730A

Same for the foam types. Those used to be $6, now they run for $25

The good news is these stocks can be cleaned up. I also believe the trapdoor A1 stocks (original ones) are more substantial than the modern A2 types from Colt and other manufacturers. Plastic is thicker and they weigh more, despite being 5/8" shorter.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Call Randy at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) to see if they still have any E type stocks. They did have them for $15 (minus the buffer tube, buffer, and spring) at one time. These are the trapdoor type stocks. They look like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Same length as the D, but with storage:

http://www.cavmfg.com/C1-Buttstock-C1.htm

I seem to recall reading their buttplate isn't too great and best to use an A2.
    I should have mentioned that I'm looking for one in brown...

To replace my RIT dyed Cavalry Arms C1 stock. But I desire storage. I have nothing against the Cavalry Arms stock (I'm using an A1 trapdoor, yes the old Cav rubber buttplate sucked), but that side sling slot just seems out of place. Am I crazy?
    Last edited by masakari; 11-05-17 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Numrich used to carry tons of the A1 take off stocks, both the trap door storage and the solid foam filled types.

According to the online catalog, they only have two of the trap door models (and they look pretty ratty):

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/564730A

Same for the foam types. Those used to be $6, now they run for $25

The good news is these stocks can be cleaned up. I also believe the trapdoor A1 stocks (original ones) are more substantial than the modern A2 types from Colt and other manufacturers. Plastic is thicker and they weigh more, despite being 5/8" shorter.
    In my experience (albeit not huge numbers) the A1 stocks seem to be more prone to cracking (seems like most I have seen originate at the screw holes or near the trap doors) than the A2 stocks including a mint A1 I bought. Upside is that it doesn't seem to make them unserviceable, but it does seem to be more prevalent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast