Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressor recommendations? (.308 WIN)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Using dB reduction as your sole criteria is not necessarily going to result in the best and subjectively quietest can. I say subjectively because the perception of sound reduction has much to do with intangibles such as tone and pitch. Manufacturer's reported dB reduction can also be misleading, as ambient conditions, type of meter, and testing protocol all come into play and if cans are not metered under the same conditions it is impossible to objectively compare the results.

My personal criteria focus upon the mount, poi shift, durability, and weight. I personally prefer SF SOCOM cans for centerfire rifle. I prefer the SF mount to all other currently available. The Dead Air key-mo mount is excellent as well. The KAC QDC mount also looks great. I would certainly consider both were I not already standardized on SF for my personal needs.

There is no "best". Every option is a trade off in some capacity. Only you can decide what best suits your wants and needs. To determine your actual wants and needs and how each can matches up to these, I recommend you find a way to evaluate and shoot the various cans you are considering.

This is the correct answer.

I would also suggest looking at TBAC for dedicated bolt gun suppressor.

OP, I would get a Surefire RC for your semi auto rifles and a TBAC for bolt guns.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-15-17 at 11:16.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One thing you will notice is you really need a can for every different type of gun you shoot.

I can afford that so I went with an Octane 45 for pistol. Omega 30 for all rifle and will get a .22 suppressor next month.

The TBAC cans are pretty much the standard for bolt guns but I shoot too many AR's and other guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you will get a different opinion from everyone..
    chasing for db for a 308 bolt rifle get a 338 silencer. I had shot a buddies AI rifle chambered in 300win with a 338 sig silencer sounded great! RPR with my 762qdTi sounded stupid quiet. I can't attest to Q silencers but the designs seem to be on par with Sig's as the same engineer was involved in both designs.
    Yes a lower toned silencer does sound better and many industry folks have confirmed that. Dead Air silencers are known to have some of the best sounding silencers.

Should you chase db numbers another factor to put in is accuracy of your rifle. TB has known to be one of the best precision silencers with POI shift at a minimal compared to others.
    My .02 is to get a TB silencer and you have suppression along with accuracy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    dbl post.
    Last edited by rajahdat; 09-17-17 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I spent probably 6 months looking, deciding, thinking I made a decision, and then changing my mind again on the same issue. I ended up going with the Griffin Recce 7 and I love it. I use it regularly on my 11.5 inch 556 and my 9 inch 300 Black out. One of my selling points was the taper mount and minimal POI shift. So far I have been completely satisfied and not regretted it at all. I do plan on getting another in 556 and will most likely get something in QD just because. I don't have a ton of experience with other cans however this one exceeded my expectations as far as suppression. Subsonic 300 blackout is 100% hearing safe. It also was much quieter than I expected on my 556 guns. Hope that helps a little.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have only had it a few weeks but I love my Omega 30 can I use it on 1 16 inch Remmy bolt gun, 2 AR10 builds , 1 SBR and 1 20 inch .223

Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

The TBAC cans are pretty much the standard for bolt guns but I shoot too many AR's and other guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genuine question as i'm close to purchasing a TBAC Ultra 7, Is there any reason the TBAC cans shouldn't be used on AR platforms? I plan to use it on both bolt and AR's. My current precision gun wears a Cyclone, which is effective, but a brick.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Genuine question as i'm close to purchasing a TBAC Ultra 7, Is there any reason the TBAC cans shouldn't be used on AR platforms? I plan to use it on both bolt and AR's. My current precision gun wears a Cyclone, which is effective, but a brick.
    Somewhere on the TBAC website they tell you it is all about heat.
    You can use it on a gas gun but doing mag dumps or sustained fire will possibly ruin the can.

*Edit*

Direct from TBAC website.

"Full auto by itself does not really increase the pressure or stress on the can, it's the heat energy input in combination. Full auto or bursts would be fine on an Ultra as long as the material temperature does not exceed that 800 degree safety mark. In our testing, one magazine fired rapid (mag-dump) from from an AR-10 or AR-15 does not exceed 800 degrees. Keep in mind this is firing at a full-auto-like rate. At that point you'd just have to let it cool. The second magazine may or may not cause it to exceed it depending on ambient conditions, loads, barrel length, etc. A shorter barrel will cause more heat input into the suppressor and its temperature will rise faster."
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 09-24-17 at 08:46.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12