Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor recommendations? (.308 WIN)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Suppressor recommendations? (.308 WIN)

Browsing through SilencerShop and noticed oddly enough, they don't post DB reduction on every product they sell. (What's up with that?)
    I'm currently looking at the Griffin Armament Recce 7 Mod 4 for $725, since I saw it's got one of the best db reductions according to a handful of sites. (32db)
    This will go on a .308 WIN Remington 700.
    I don't care about price, weight, or length. I'm looking for the greatest db reduction that's out there.
    Please post me with your experiences and recommendations!

Thanks
    Last edited by Ostdarva; 09-13-17 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    Surefire claims the 300sps was 2 years ago.

I'd think a 50bmg can would be the quietest though.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-13-17 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You’re going to get at least eleven different answers in the first ten replies here....

My experience is that there is truth to the idea that lower dB readings don’t always mean a can sounds better.

I think that, therefore, price, size, length, weight and muzzle attachment method all have to then have some weight in the decision.

So for your bolt gun, I would consider the Thunderbeast Ultra 9 as a can that has a great reputation for accuracy, dB reduction and mounting system.

I would also consider the Q Full Nelson. I have just had my first experiences with the Q El Camino, and it’s so awesome that I believe that the Full Nelson will be an amazing .308 can, fully meeting early review hype, to include very good dB reduction. But that’s just my guess, I’m waiting to see if I can see one in action...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Using dB reduction as your sole criteria is not necessarily going to result in the best and subjectively quietest can. I say subjectively because the perception of sound reduction has much to do with intangibles such as tone and pitch. Manufacturer's reported dB reduction can also be misleading, as ambient conditions, type of meter, and testing protocol all come into play and if cans are not metered under the same conditions it is impossible to objectively compare the results.

My personal criteria focus upon the mount, poi shift, durability, and weight. I personally prefer SF SOCOM cans for centerfire rifle. I prefer the SF mount to all other currently available. The Dead Air key-mo mount is excellent as well. The KAC QDC mount also looks great. I would certainly consider both were I not already standardized on SF for my personal needs.

There is no "best". Every option is a trade off in some capacity. Only you can decide what best suits your wants and needs. To determine your actual wants and needs and how each can matches up to these, I recommend you find a way to evaluate and shoot the various cans you are considering.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-14-17 at 07:43.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want to compare purely on dB- here’s the best spreadsheet database I’ve seen: https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    Browsing through SilencerShop and noticed oddly enough, they don't post DB reduction on every product they sell. (What's up with that?)
    I'm currently looking at the Griffin Armament Recce 7 Mod 4 for $725, since I saw it's got one of the best db reductions according to a handful of sites. (32db)
    This will go on a .308 WIN Remington 700.
    I don't care about price, weight, or length. I'm looking for the greatest db reduction that's out there.
    Please post me with your experiences and recommendations!

Thanks
    If you truly don't care, get the longest suppressor you can find. The Recce 7 is designed for semi/full-auto use and is shorter at 7.6".

Since its for a bolt gun only then Thunder Beast is the most well known:
    https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-9

I have a Templar/Crux 9.25" but not a lot of info is out there on these. Note the brake is ~4oz, so the total would be 18oz.
    https://cruxsuppressors.com/collecti...cal-suppressor

It suppresses a lot but also has major back pressure as a result. Great for a bolt gun, not so much this little AK.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Manufacturer's reported dB reduction can also be misleading, as ambient conditions, type of meter, and testing protocol all come into play and if cans are not metered under the same conditions it is impossible to objectively compare the results.
    I agree entirely, I often wonder what environmental factors were occurring during each test. As I see variation in db rating across multiple youtube testing videos.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    If you want to compare purely on dB- here’s the best spreadsheet database I’ve seen: https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/
    Thank you Sandsunsurf, checking this out now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    If that is true, I can build you the quiestest can ever designed. It will not be portable, it will need to fit in a truck, and it will cost $25,000. But since those things are not important to you, no problem. LMK.

Feedback Score
    The Dead Air Sandman-L (or Sandman-Ti),Rugged Surge (in long), or SilencerCo Saker ASR 762 are pretty much the kings of dB reduction. You can toss Sig's 762 cans into the mix as well.

But as stated above, raw dB reduction isn't everything. To me, the Sandman-L is the best sounding can on the market for bolt guns... however, I really like the tone of it compared to other cans.

Wanting the can with the lowest dB's out there is like saying "I want the scope with the most magnification out there." Also, if Jim's Silencer Company meters their can at 96 dB on 300 Blackout, and SilencerCo meters their can at 120 dB... it doesn't mean "Jim's Silencer Company" makes a better can. It may mean they just lied on the numbers, or testing systems were different. (Different days, different hosts, etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast