Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed Marlin 30-30 (Hillbilly 300blk)

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Suppressed Marlin 30-30 (Hillbilly 300blk)

I just finished putting this together and figured I'd share. I've been wanting a suppressed lever gun for while, and when my dad gave me his old Marlin 30AS, I couldn't resist.

I had the barrel threaded 1/2x28 and added a YHM QD mount for my stainless Phantom M2 can. The only modification needed to fit the can was to trim the magazine tube plug flush.

I added a XS Sights lever rail and ghost ring sight system as well. It's a major improvement over the factory garbage sights.

My goal was to load 30-30's subsonic to have a 300blk alternative. I accomplished this with Trail Boss and 170 gr JSP's. I'll experiment with different projectiles as time allows, but these work pretty well for now.

The rifle will serve as my primary freezer filler this year.

FF932F2B-0EE4-41AC-9E37-7D73745562D8_zpsjuprhkdw.jpg

B4F256FA-44AE-428C-925E-65C2E9FA403F_zpsxemsnniz.jpg

98494B5C-C169-4F61-BEFC-C8CE5BC03BC7_zpshkdktubn.jpg

The ACOG was just for shits and giggles...

9F8795B1-3E5F-40F0-86F7-16CA255AB9CA_zpsavcxqbzs.jpg

Video of shooting subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60hY...21569547887049

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very cool. I have a Glenfield 30A I've been dying to chop and thread the barrel on. What powder are you using for subs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reinventing the Winchester 94 with a Maxim suppressor. In effect at least. Not that I don't support the concept or desire, just pointing out that the idea had been looked at about a century ago, if not for the NFA I would state we'd probably be using suppressors like they were optics, just another item on a rifle.

I digress of course, and have had a few celebrating a friend's 74th Bday, so I might be a little distracted. Okay, a lot distracted. Not at all suggesting that I don't support someone suppressing a hunting rifle with honest intent on using it for it intended purpose. God knows I would given the choice of hunting weapons.
    Last edited by Kain; 09-13-17 at 21:07.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Fun! Are you using the light round-ball loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    Very cool. I have a Glenfield 30A I've been dying to chop and thread the barrel on. What powder are you using for subs?
    Do it! I'm loading subs with Trail Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Fun! Are you using the light round-ball loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was shooting 170gr JSP's in the video. I've decided that I'll most likely load Rainier's 180gr plated FP bullet for subs. I had originally wanted to shoot hard cast, but don't want to deal with loading the can up with lead.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Reinventing the Winchester 94
    I would be lying if I said Teddy Roosevelt's 1894/Maxim setup wasn't at least a little bit of an inspiration.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    That setup looks like a lot of fun. What kind of accuracy are you getting shooting subsonic?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    That setup looks like a lot of fun. What kind of accuracy are you getting shooting subsonic?
    I haven't really shot it for groups yet. I just ordered some Rainier 180gr plated FP bullets, so once I get those loaded up I'll throw a scope on it and see what it does with those.

I got bored the other night and stuffed a bunch of brass with 147gr M80 projectiles on top of 7grs of Trailboss.

I only single feed them, but they're stupid quiet and seem to be very accurate.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    It works. The freezer is getting filled and my hearing isn't getting worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Congrats! Did you use subsonic rounds for the deer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast