Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ruger gets serious about the AR market?

Feedback Score
    I actually think provided that the accuracy is there Ruger might have hit a home run with this rifle. Consider this, what other rifle at a sub $600 street price is coming with a free float barrel and a nice trigger that has as much versatility as the Ruger MPR. This is a rifle that could be used as a poor mans SPR/Light precision rifle, varmint/light hunting rifle, and home defense rifle. I don't think there is any other rifle at its price point that offers as much flexibility. For the intended user the 4140 vs 4150 CMV is a non issue since the vast majority of AR users never run their rifles hard enough to know the difference.

Feedback Score
    Once it starts falling apart, is it really such a good deal anymore? I tend to not get excited about the prospect of having to reengineer somebody else's mistakes and hope it works out in the end, I also wouldn't count on Ruger to fix it necessarily either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma's_Boy View Post
    Once it starts falling apart, is it really such a good deal anymore? I tend to not get excited about the prospect of having to reengineer somebody else's mistakes and hope it works out in the end, I also wouldn't count on Ruger to fix it necessarily either.
    Ruger usually gets praised for customer service. And it isn't that hard to rebarrel or whatever. Run it hard. Change/replace parts as needed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ruger usually gets praised for customer service. And it isn't that hard to rebarrel or whatever. Run it hard. Change/replace parts as needed.

Or maybe buy from a manufacturer that gets it right the first time?
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Or maybe buy from a manufacturer that gets it right the first time?
    Buy as your budget and needs/wants allow.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Buy as your budget and needs/wants allow.

I doubt anyone needs or wants a POS AR that may or may not run right, regardless of manufacturer intervention.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Savage MSR Recon is another solid option in the $600 to $700 range. It also has an MLOK free float hand guard, 16" 5R barrel, etc.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    I doubt anyone needs or wants a POS AR that may or may not run right, regardless of manufacturer intervention.
    Why do you assume the Ruger won't run right? Personal experience with their ARs or brand prejudice?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why do you assume the Ruger won't run right? Personal experience with their ARs or brand prejudice?

Because he is a parrot, and simply repeats whatever he hears.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10MMGary View Post
    Because he is a parrot, and simply repeats whatever he hears.
    I originally thought that, but if you read his post history, it seems he has some experience and time with these rifles.

That doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with his black and white pronouncements, it just means that I have another internet buddy to good-naturedly argue with back and forth.

In this case he said 'may or may not run right' an opinion that is not absolutely wrong with any rifle, more justified to have with lower-priced units.

As for me, if I paid less than $500.00 for a rifle like that, I certainly wouldn't mind it if I had to do some staking just to be sure things didn't work loose. I'd also be pretty comfortable in assuming I'd get my $500.00 worth of use out of it.

As far as my concerns go, when I put together a rifle/carbine, I understand the accuracy lives in the upper and the barrel. As far as I'm concerned, once I shoot it enough to know that the lower reliably retains and releases magazines, and allows the fire control group to function properly, I can pretty much fix anything else impacting function. But if acceptable accuracy isn't there, you might as well start over on the upper.

JMO YMMV.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast