Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cricothyrotomy Kits

Feedback Score

Cricothyrotomy Kits

Hey guys- any opinions regarding preferences of cricothyrotomy kits? There are a number of them out there now, and I haven't tried them all. Thoughts? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unless trained, and even still, performing a surgical cricothyrotomy is a highly invasive procedure. I highly doubt you will ever encounter the need to perform one, and if you did the amount of blood would disillusion all but the more experienced surgeons. I have seen a highly skilled and respected paramedic freeze after performing the initial incision, I'm not sure of your skill level, or doubting it, just food for thought.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm going to assume you're a Paramedic.

Surgical cric isn't allowed in my state, but the only kits I've ever trained with were the NARP ones. Apart from that, the scalpel from an OB kit and cutting the end off of an ET tube works...
    Last edited by GTF425; 09-14-17 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I can't remember the name of the company, but I think it's the same one that markets the Home Appendectomy Kit and the Home Cholecystectomy Kit.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Home Cholecystectomy Kit.
    Hahaha

*OP, I shot you a PM. It's now my understanding that this is within your scope, and I'd like to chat on the side and not clutter up the forum.
    Last edited by GTF425; 09-14-17 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter37 View Post
    Unless trained, and even still, performing a surgical cricothyrotomy is a highly invasive procedure. I highly doubt you will ever encounter the need to perform one, and if you did the amount of blood would disillusion all but the more experienced surgeons. I have seen a highly skilled and respected paramedic freeze after performing the initial incision, I'm not sure of your skill level, or doubting it, just food for thought.
    A small percentage of folks have a not inconsequential anterior jugular vein in addition to the more lateral internal & external jugular veins. This can make the procedure more complicated from a hemostasis point of view. OTOH - when you need one, there aren't a lot of alternatives.

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    These things are best left to the professionals...not sure what your level of training is, but practicing one or two on a mannequin is from proper experience.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Another member informed me of his current licensing level, and it's within his scope.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    These things are best left to the professionals...not sure what your level of training is, but practicing one or two on a mannequin is from proper experience.
    The thing is...if a cricothyrotomy is even being contemplated for a particular patient, that patient is in deep shit. In that case, even a bad cricothyrotomy by someone only partially or poorly trained is better than no cricothyrotomy at all. If they get the cric, they might die, if the don't get it, they will die. Advanced airway management is IMHO the most important set of skills a Paramedic or emergency medicine doctor can learn. Nobody is going to be really good at it because the need for it represents about .5% of airway cases. The most experienced EMT-P may only see one or two crics in his lifetime, the average paramedic will never have to do a cric. Probably.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast