Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Shot Timer?

Feedback Score

First Shot Timer?

I need a shot timer.

The only time I've used one is when someone else was timing me with theirs. I've never had one of my own.

So, which one should I get?

Feedback Score
    I recently picked up a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II after a recommendation, and it has been a big change in my training. Complete paradigm shift towards higher performance.

I'd check that out.

In the mean time, you can grab an app on your phone for the short term.

Either way, being able to set as constants the range and course of fire, then hold your time as the only dependent variable makes for an extremely valuable tool for being able to track performance, identify weakness, and show improvements.

Get one.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'll second that a timer has made a profound change in my shooting practice. I have a Pact Club 3. https://www.amazon.com/PACT-Club-Sho...rds=shot+timer

I've been using it for a couple of months. Seems to work well. It does have trouble picking up shots from my suppressed AR though. Many times I'll find the timer still running instead of picking up the split.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I'll second that a timer has made a profound change in my shooting practice. I have a Pact Club 3. https://www.amazon.com/PACT-Club-Sho...rds=shot+timer

I've been using it for a couple of months. Seems to work well. It does have trouble picking up shots from my suppressed AR though. Many times I'll find the timer still running instead of picking up the split.
    This is what I use, also.

It’s larger than I thought but the sound is loud and it has great sensitivity.

I have a CED but the battery discharged after prolonged lack of use. Does not work after battery was replaced.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    Pact club and pocket pro are the two big names.

I have (had?) a pocket pro 2 and it worked perfectly. Can't find it though, so I may be back in the market myself.

Does the pact club3 offer anything over the PP2?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used the PP2 and CED and prefer the PP2. I like the pocket pro 2 for a few reasons.
    1- big and easy to read especially while clipped to your belt (display on the top)
    2- you can clip it on your belt for "hands free" shooting. I know this sounds strange but the CED timer for example doesn't have a belt clip and the display is on the side not the top which makes it a little more difficult for me to use when shooting by myself. CED does have a neck lanyard but you always have to grab it and look at the time.
    3- I like the start button on the side It is more natural for me to push where the CED start button is on the face and top of the timer.
    4- buttons are big. CED timer the buttons are small and not as easy to use.
    5- uses a 9 volt battery where the CED timer is rechargeable. Easy for me to keep spare batteries in my bag to change quickly. If batteries dies on CED during shooting what do you do?

IMO the CED is nice to run other people at matches because it is smaller but not super easy to use when practicing on your own UNLESS you are doing dry fire. Their par timer is pretty sweet for dry fire practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have experience with the CE Pocket Pro, CE Pocket Pro II, CE Pro-Timer III, CE Pro Timer IV, and the PACT Club (Glock Model) from both work and personal use.

I liked the Pro-Timer III best for timing others, if they still made them that is all I'd have. It was easiest to use for our application running students through standards drills. It just quit one day and we replaced it.

We had two PACT Clubs and they both broke, we were able to repair one, IIRC the wire to the speaker came loose, the other one just wouldn't power on.

The Pro-Timer IV was just 'too busy' for me to bother with, my fault, not the timers.

At this time, I'm using a Pocket Pro II. I like it, it is loud enough and sensitive enough. The only irritant I find with it is setting the par times. It is either 'tap, tap, tap' or hold down. If you hold down after a couple seconds it starts rolling too fast for me to stop accurately and I end up using the 'tap, tap, tap' method to go back. Nothing major, though.

I carry mine in an end pocket of my range bag and make sure to turn the buttons inboard to avoid inadvertently powering it up, probably not that big a deal since it has an automatic power off feature.

I've dropped it several times onto both concrete and sand from waist height during use. No problems, scuff marks on the case, seems pretty durable.

Nothing compares to the ease of setting par times on the older Pro-Timers, they had a touch pad for tenths, and a touch pad for seconds, easy peasy.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-11-17 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    Pp2 is sounding pretty good!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for the Pocket Pro II. I’ll admit that it’s too big and clunky for what it is, but the darn thing just works...and works well. Mine has put up with a lot of abuse, and it keeps on ticking.

I’ll also give CE a thumbs-up for customer service. When our club’s timers were destroyed in a flood they cut us a deal when we purchased replacements.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have a Pocket Pro 2 and a CED 7000. I prefer the features and interface of the CED, but the Pocket Pro gets better battery life. The trade off is that the CED is rechargeable. The biggest issue with the CED to me is the lack of a belt clip and that the accessory belt clip is pretty meh.

I've also used Pact, the CED8000, and the Speed Timer 3000. All work well enough with varying pluses and minuses. There are no cheap shot timers, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast