Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a new CCW pistol!

Feedback Score
    I would go with the either the VP9sk, P30, or P2000sk, in that order. They meet all your requiems, and are smaller than the P01, so they can be carried when it is not. I have yet to find a subcompact more reliable, accurate, or shoot able than the HKs.
    I know you said you wanted a light, but I think the CZ Rami BD would be perfect. I have one bought direct from Cajun Gunworks with a pro package. I find it pairs nicely with my P01, or PCR. Mag interchangeability is nice.
    Whatever you go with, I would definitely go with a smaller gun, just for options.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    *You* will have to decide on what action you prefer first, striker, DA/SA OR SA. These days I prefer to buy pistols that out of the box I don't have to dump a lot of money into them by adding or changing all kinds of things. A pistol shouldn't need all kinds of aftermarket support, because it should be able to stand on its own. I can see changing out the sights for some of your preference, and it having a good selection of different types of holsters to choose from and then some backup spare factory parts' but thats about it. I would say go to a gunshop or indoor shooting range and handle and shoot as many of the pistols on your list as you can.

Feedback Score
    Also, you don't need a new or heavily modified trigger to get fast accurate shots. For a glock, a factory connector(dot or minus) would be all I would change.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I agree I will need to go shoot all of these more before I decide. I just wanted to consult all your collective wisdom to see if any of them had glaring problems I didn't know about, or one was substantially better for the price, etc.

As for the "just get another P-01" I certainly might. I'm pretty conflicted between the old adage of "two is one and one is one" vs. "variety is the spice of life." Having an identical back makes the most practical sense, but having some variety in what I train with would be more fun and more fun for other folks I bring to the range. I can always get a stock P-01 later as a parts gun too. But I'm not ruling out another P-01 as an option, or something very similar like the P-07 or Sphinx.

As for the size, I already have a SIG P938 (which is amazing and I love) for pocket carry on days where I just cannot conceal something of P-01 or similar size, so no need to worry about going smaller just for that.

As for the trigger, yes I'm aware training can overcome almost any trigger out there, and even out of the box things like Glocks and M&Ps will do just fine at CCW ranges. BUT I don't think anyone would disagree that a nicer trigger makes accuracy easier with a pistol. I still shoot my 1911s best, followed by the Cajun CZs. That is no accident, the triggers are the two best. Or to put it another way, although unlikely having to make a head shot at 25y is a lot easier (especially under stress) with a nice trigger imho. And if that still doesn't do it for you, I'm going to have to send whichever pistol I end up buying in to a good gunsmith to get the slide milled for the RMR anyways (the factory ones aren't low enough). Might as well get the trigger done while its there. Now DA/SA vs. striker, there is no question DA/SA wins for me. But strikers aren't bad, I shoot them well enough, and by the states they seem to have an advantage is size/weight/capacity almost every time.

Keep the good suggestions flowing!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock 19 MOS is already cut for a red dot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With the recent flap over the Sig 320, I would cross off any striker fired pistol on your list that has a fully tensioned striker. The next question is what kind of trigger do you really prefer? DA/SA LEM, SA? CZ's with a little work can have excellant triggers, they are known to be accurate, and between CZUSA, CZ custom and Cajun Gun Works they are decently supported. Which brings me to another point, support after the sale..if you shoot alot, it's just a matter of time before a part breaks or is worn out, how easily you can get parts is something that should be considered, in this area alone, Glock wins hands down. I've been in hardware stores that had Glock mags for sale, I've never seen anybody else's mags that readily available. Briefly looking at your list, I think I'd narrow it down to CZ, HK, Glock. As all of these are decently supported, all are accurate, reliable, and all have a degree of aftermarket support (some more than others, but that's for you to decide how important that is)
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Another thought: you could do an sp01 or a p01 with a milled slide. Then you have an irons gun and an rds gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Another thought: you could do an sp01 or a p01 with a milled slide. Then you have an irons gun and an rds gun.
    Right. Between Cajun Gun Works, and CZ Custom, CZUSA, you should, within reason, be able to get exactly what you want. It won't be cheap, (custom work never is) but the craftsmanship will be top notch, and that, is what you're paying for..
    Last edited by ralph; 09-15-17 at 11:21.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Cajun P07 and never look back, Dave told me of a P07 they did that has 100,000 documented rounds through it and still getting shot.

Feedback Score
    I am waiting for my Cajun P-01. SO that is what I would get. I truly understand the variety is the spice of life. Having said that, variety is a pain in the ass when it comes to logistics. I would get a p-01 because you don't have to deal with magazines, holsters... It makes live easier. I am a huge believer in buying a life time supply of magazines, having lived through the 80 dollar glock mag decade. I am down to CZ, Beretta, and Glock. Although if I had to give them all up but one, I would keep the Glock 19s and the hundred mags.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast