Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9 vs SIG M17

Feedback Score

Beretta M9 vs SIG M17

Is this just more sour grapes/hyperbole?

"Beretta Defense Technologies said recently that its M9 pistol is about 10 times as reliable as the U.S. Army’s new Modular Handgun System.

Beretta lost its hold on the U.S. Military’s pistol market in January when the Army chose Sig Sauer to replace the M9 as the standard sidearm.
    Beretta officials maintain that new M9 pistols tested at the company’s manufacturing facility in Gallatin, Tennessee have continued the world-record reliability pace for the product, according to a Sept. 13 press release.

Beretta U.S.A. completed the fourteenth consecutive M9 Lot Acceptance Test this month with an average of only one malfunction every 19,090 rounds.
    During this testing period 42 M9 pistols were fired 210,000 rounds, with resultant reliability “almost 10 times better than the rate of reliability required by the U.S. Army in its current Modular Handgun System program,” according to the release.

“The incredible reliability of the M9 pistol is being continuously confirmed,” said Gabriele de Plano, Vice- President of Military Marketing and Operations for Beretta Defense Technologies. “Half of the LAT reliability tests resulted in ‘perfect’ reliability scores with zero malfunctions in 15,000 rounds!"

https://kitup.military.com/2017/09/m9.html
    Last edited by Slater; 09-14-17 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    I would take the proven M9 any day of the week over the poorly tested Sig P320/M17.

Personally, I think the Army messed up picking the M17. It should have either kept the M9 in its upgraded M9A3 form or gone with the Glock 19 which is also a very proven pistol.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised they're still doing Lot Acceptance Tests on M9's. I thought those contracts were long completed.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's sour grapes so much as it is marketing. I've noticed an uptick in interest with the M9 lately, and I think Beretta is angling for the M9 to become a classic like the 1911.

Touting its reliability part of that.

If it was sour grapes, I would think hey would be comparing the 320 to the APX.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Ernest Langdon was at the Beretta factory back in June and he said that they're still making M9's to fulfill current contracts.

Feedback Score
    Looking at Beretta's press releases, they're going to be producing M9's for US and foreign contracts until at least 2020.

Feedback Score
    The M9 is an excellent service pistol, and serves our military well. All they had to do was phase in the M9A3, but instead they F'd up big time adopting the POS Sig. Long live the M9.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    The M9 is an excellent service pistol, and serves our military well. All they had to do was phase in the M9A3, but instead they F'd up big time adopting the POS Sig. Long live the M9.
    This, the M17 is a complete failure and a waste of tax payer money. Especially since they are sticking with the 9mm round it made no sense to go to a new unproven handgun that has too many problems right off the bat. Should have stuck with the M9A3. When Beretta says the M9 is ten times more reliable then the 320 I have to believe them.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I will take my 92G-SD over anything. Nothing shoots like a heavy 9 with long sights and a smooth trigger.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I will take my 92G-SD over anything. Nothing shoots like a heavy 9 with long sights and a smooth trigger.
    I think you meant to say, "I will take a Wilson 92G Brigadier Tactical over anything. Nothing shoots like a heavy 9 with long sights and a smooth trigger."
    Colt > BCM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast