Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9 vs SIG M17

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally I think we should have gone to the G19...the requirements for an external safety are antiquated.

The M9 needs to go away...soonest. I dropped that like a hot rock when I was deployed and offered a G19 to carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    I would take the proven M9 any day of the week over the poorly tested Sig P320/M17.

Personally, I think the Army messed up picking the M17. It should have either kept the M9 in its upgraded M9A3 form or gone with the Glock 19 which is also a very proven pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    The M9 is an excellent service pistol, and serves our military well. All they had to do was phase in the M9A3, but instead they F'd up big time adopting the POS Sig. Long live the M9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    Should have stuck with the M9A3. When Beretta says the M9 is ten times more reliable then the 320 I have to believe them.
    Pretty much this (Beretta or Glock). Gave up on SIG a long time ago.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If Sig can get the P320 to stop firing when dropped from knee high onto carpet they will have a good gun. Supposedly the M17/18 already has the fix.

There was some reliability testing posted on another board from a department test and the Sig smoked other entries in reliability, including Glock. Each test has its quirks.

Beretta did not claim their pistol was ten times as reliable as the M17. They claim it exceeded the M17 requirements Ten fold. That is completely different.

Honestly, the DOD should dump the M17, go M18 force wide and allow the units that want to ditch the safety. I love the 92 and Beretta. I respect the company more than Sig, but the design is tired. If we can get a more modern design while paying less long term, we should. The modular design of the Sig also allows for growth if need be.

For the record I do think that the XM17 trials should have played out differently(or at the very least played out) but this the point we are at.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 09-15-17 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, I guess the old saying "Everything comes back around sooner or later" is true. All, or MOSTLY all, Ive seen, read & heard for decades was "hate" for the M9,
    then alla sudden errbody loves it once another sidearm is chosen.
    Ive said here & elsewhere for years now..the M9 is & was a great pistol, one of the most accurate & surely one of the most reliable ever made. All the internet hate is from people who never shot one or just repeating old bullshit from others who didnt know what the hell they were talking about.
    Was it "perfect"? Why HELL NO...none are. But as a Glock man & former owner & user of the M9...Id NEVER feel undergunned/outgunned or whatever if the M9 was all I could ever own again.
    NO experiance with that model Sig, but I know its NOWHERE near as vetted as the Beretta, and God knows why they chose it over Glock..but thats another thread.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I do not have a lot experience with a P320. I've rented and shot it a few times while others were going through major 9mm pistols to decide what they liked. However, each of those times, I left the range session not a fan of the pistol. I have a 2008 vintage M9 customized by wilson (before the 92G Tactical existed as a line item), and my wife has a Wilson Compact Carry. That's now her favorite gun, even more than her P226 Legion SAO.

Would I prefer a Glock 19, 17, or 34 or even my PPQ M2 given my choice? Certainly. Would I take an M9 -- even a beat to hell from a NG arms room M9 -- over a P320? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Feedback Score
    The renewed interest in the M9 is actually pretty interesting.The hate the M9 receives really is due to the same BS that caused everyone to hate the 1911 before the M9 was adopted. Military M9s were beat to crap, did not take advantage of newer revisions, and were victims of lowest bidder magazines. I recently learned that the M9 TDP still includes the first generation locking block, while all other 92s are built using the 4th generation block that is much more reliable. There are a lot of little enhancements Beretta has made over time that haven't made it into the M9 contract (but did make it into the M9A1).

This was an informative video

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Damn, I guess the old saying "Everything comes back around sooner or later" is true. All, or MOSTLY all, Ive seen, read & heard for decades was "hate" for the M9,
    then alla sudden errbody loves it once another sidearm is chosen.
    Ive said here & elsewhere for years now..the M9 is & was a great pistol, one of the most accurate & surely one of the most reliable ever made. All the internet hate is from people who never shot one or just repeating old bullshit from others who didnt know what the hell they were talking about.
    Was it "perfect"? Why HELL NO...none are. But as a Glock man & former owner & user of the M9...Id NEVER feel undergunned/outgunned or whatever if the M9 was all I could ever own again.
    NO experiance with that model Sig, but I know its NOWHERE near as vetted as the Beretta, and God knows why they chose it over Glock..but thats another thread.
    Exactly. When is the last time someone recommended an M9/92 for a new purchase? Now it's like the damn thing is the greatest pistol created.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    The renewed interest in the M9 is actually pretty interesting.The hate the M9 receives really is due to the same BS that caused everyone to hate the 1911 before the M9 was adopted. Military M9s were beat to crap, did not take advantage of newer revisions, and were victims of lowest bidder magazines. I recently learned that the M9 TDP still includes the first generation locking block, while all other 92s are built using the 4th generation block that is much more reliable. There are a lot of little enhancements Beretta has made over time that haven't made it into the M9 contract (but did make it into the M9A1).

This was an informative video

Great video! So much misinformation out there. I figure there is a lot of misinformation on the M17 as well. Has there ever been a small arm adopted by the US Army that hasn't had any controversy? As far as I know, every weapon has had its detractors. There's a lot of money to be made on government arms contracts. If you can tarnish the reputation of the winning bidder's submission, sow seeds of doubt and mistrust amongst the troops for their weapons, get a congressman or two convinced that there is a problem (that's easy... campaign contributions), and get the media involved, you might get another chance at a new contract. You can get a ton of support from the ignorant masses because most really don't understand firearms very well, nor their procurement (including the soldiers using them) . Plus the government is really good at screwing things up like the M9 with subpar replacement parts/magazines, and changing the powder from stick to ball on the M-16.

Now I want an M9 (and a M17).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm just here to say that I like guns and want both the P320 and the M9 in my collection.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I'm a stout 92 series defender, I think they are great pistols. I even liked the beat up ones my unit has in it's armory. I think the hate it gets is ill deserved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast