Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guncrafter 1911's

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Guncrafter 1911's

I'm a fan of Guncrafter 1911's. Full disclosure, they are friends and we do some business back and forth but somehow it always happens that among the manufacturers of bottom-end stuff, I don't have friends and don't do business with them

Alex at GI has quietly brought a lot of innovation to the 1911. Some of it by contract to other manufacturers and going back years. Pica rails on 1911 dust covers, Alex's prints are all over that. Two of the few places that did the whole "external extractor " thing right, did it with Alex consulting. They others should have hired him too as several completely failed-- to the point where they withdrew it and for a time were simply replacing those slides with slides having original-format extractors.

Fit a .50 caliber cartridge in a standard-sized 1911? Alex. The 1911 may have a few known weak points; there are others less well known that don't show up until you really run them long and hard. Alex has addressed these.

Owning two, handling many, visiting the shop, I will say their quality is surpassed by none. Not saying "unequaled" because there are some other really good 1911's out there-- most of which come from the same part of the country (AR), But GI's level of innovation is impressive.

Although Alex and I are friends, he tells me friggin' nothing when he has something brewing. I had to happen on this on my own, thought it was cool enough to post and maybe start a thread for GI owners.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Mo' pictures, please! A GI style 45 should be mandatory in any collection.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    More about the bushing design and rationale please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    More about the bushing design and rationale please.

Seconded. I want to know more please.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wow.........that is certainly interesting.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is it like a one piece reverse plug/ bushing without the full length guide rod?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    ...does the barrel slide in the bushing or is the bushing attached to the end of the barrel with a flgr underneath, and it's just the slide that reciprocates?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Mo' pictures, please! A GI style 45 should be mandatory in any collection.
    In this context "GI" is referring to Guncrafter Industries instead of "government issue".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is a no-guiderod barrel bushing.... not attached tot he barrel-- from what I understand. Rationale, protects the muzzle for one; at this point I'm only imagining how it is located but I would say that is much more positive than standard-- I've seen a few put back together with the recoil spring plug not quite "snapped" into the bushing, so the bushing is swung off to the side just a little. Saw one on a magazine cover that way in fact.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast