Thread: Shortest 5.56 barrel

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Shortest 5.56 barrel

For a long time 11.5 or larger was considered the shortest reliable length with some 10.5 inch barrels being considered acceptable. but as we all know, a LOT has changed in the industry in the last few years.

So currently I am running a 12.5 inch barrel on my AR "pistol". I have been pretty happy with this but I would really like to go shorter and I have seen a few as short as 7.5 around here but we all know that most people don't shoot enough to know if something is reliable so I thought I would reach out to the hive mind.

Are there any reliable shorter barrels out there on the market or should I just continue to play it safe.

To be clear this is a weapon that stays in my car for "oh shit" times. So Less than ideal reliability is not acceptable.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I believe a 7.5" 5.56 Pistol gas can be reliable, as in "goes BANG" most every time.

The gas system timing is not bad, but the pressures are quite high.

It has roughly double the available gas drive of a 16" midlength, so the gas port needs to be very small.

That has its own issues around sensitivity to tolerances and wear.

IMO, if a 7.5" barrel is a requirement, then 300 BLK is a very good answer.

If 5.56 is a requirement, then 10.5" to 11.5" is an effective minimum barrel length for good terminal effectiveness with common ammo.

Specific bonded and monolithic ammo can help the 7.5", but at ~2000 fps, terminal performance will not be spectacular.

Also, blast and flash will be terrible without a suppressor or a linear muzzle device like our Covert Comp.
    Last edited by Clint; 09-16-17 at 09:23.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Once you get into the sub 10 inch 5.56 AR game you need to look at pistons.

My pws Diablo 7.75" piston upper is accurate and reliable. 3" or so groups at 100y with 77gr OTM and never a hiccup. I've shot 7" and 8* DI guns and they aren't even close. The DI system, in my opinion, isn't designed to be run with that small of a barrel.

Now 300blackout is a totally different story. 8" .300 DI is going to be perfectly reliable if you get quality parts and consistent ammo. It's designed to run that way and accurately.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I disagree about the piston thing w/o a discussion about firing schedule.

For a sub 10" with a light firing schedule there is no reason to think a DI used in the OP's role wouldn't be reliable.

All that being said, I think there are MUCH better choices that would exist in that requirement.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Considering all the negatives, I wouldn't go below 10.3". If you get the desire, then go to .300 Blackout.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wish I could have an SBR, but I live in a Commie State

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Considering all the negatives, I wouldn't go below 10.3". If you get the desire, then go to .300 Blackout.
    Came in to post this. You loose a lot of velocity and get to the bottom threshold of even the best rounds (terminal ballistics), but are now in the optimum length for 300blk.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with a 7" for what it is. Truck gun or home defense isn't a bad option imo but I'd keep 10.5-11.5 for anything else.

I keep electronic earpro with it at all times bc #1, I can amplify my hearing, #2 you won't blow your eardrums to smithereens.

I wouldn't personally build a upper that short unless you think you can build one reliable. My PWS diablo is a running machine whatever you throw at it. If you decide to go this short, PWS or DD diplomat.

Feedback Score
    When the atf let's me I will put together my 7.5" 5.56 sbr. I think that it is a suitable platform for specific rolls. I realize that 300blk or 6.8spc even work better in super short barrels but I refuse to have an AR that doesn't use 5.56 as I don't want the hassle of different ammo or magazine segregation. I wanted the shortest possible length without resorting to folding stocks or proprietary pdw stocks. I get that 5.56 going 2000 fps isn't going to be the most effective man stopper but 30 of that is going to have more range than 15 9mm. For a niche weapon I think it can be very useful. This is all speculation until I get mine together and run it through its paces. As to the blast and flash I'm going to be using a B.E. Meyers 249 flash hider. If it doesn't work as I want it is as easy as a 10.5" barrel swap.
    Last edited by skimbleshanks; 09-20-17 at 01:26.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skimbleshanks View Post
    When the atf let's me I will put together my 7.5" 5.56 sbr. I think that it is a suitable platform for specific rolls. I realize that 300blk or 6.8spc even work better in super short barrels but I refuse to have an AR that doesn't use 5.56 as I don't want the hassle of different ammo or magazine segregation. I wanted the shortest possible length without resorting to folding stocks or proprietary pdw stocks. I get that 5.56 going 2000 fps isn't going to be the most effective man stopper but 30 of that is going to have more range than 15 9mm. For a niche weapon I think it can be very useful. This is all speculation until I get mine together and run it through its paces. As to the blast and flash I'm going to be using a B.E. Meyers 249 flash hider. If it doesn't work as I want it is as easy as a 10.5" barrel swap.
    But 30 9mm JHP in a MP5 / Scorpion / MPX would probably be a lot more practical and effective, especially considering the muzzle blast and noise.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09