Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: St Martin experiencing chaos

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Dude, I had my fill of the jungla after 3 years as a grunt in Panama. You can have the Gap! I know you're adventurous and such but why would you want to go there? If it was a properly protected drive down there (at least as far as any roads go), with air conditioning, maybe for the need to see it. Maybe.

That said, I'm not voluntarily walking through that kind of crap ever again!
    I have a former colleague who was in Noriega's military. After his fall my buddy started flying different gigs. One was flying out to remote villages to bring Indians into the city for medical treatments that required a hospital. He told me there is a good number of people that go into the Gap every year and never make it back.

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Most of the locals in these places live on $20 a week and can't read.

I don't see the allure of going there.
    I really wished you would post more. I read most of your posts in the voice of Ron Swanson.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Y'all can have your islands and tropics, I'll take the mountains and rivers all day long. I only have so many weekends and vacation days in life and the last thing I want to do is spend it with a bunch of people. I enjoy meeting locals, just in limited quantities.

This all day long.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have reciprocity with 37 states and permits in two others that don't recognize Alaska's. I still haven't been to all those states and all that they have to offer. A Canadian PAL card isn't hard to get, so my shotgun can come along. Besides, it's citizens are far more civilized than what I have seen in most states in the U.S. I just finished a trip through the Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Y'all can have your islands and tropics, I'll take the mountains and rivers all day long. I only have so many weekends and vacation days in life and the last thing I want to do is spend it with a bunch of people. I enjoy meeting locals, just in limited quantities.
    Have you ever seen the Urals? What about the Andes? The Alps? Beautiful mountains with beautiful rivers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Darien Gap . Worth at least a google.
    That's awesome. I'm a sucker for rainforest/jungle.

Feedback Score
    I was only on St. Martin for about 2 months, but got to know some of the locals. It is a place that has danger among a part of the population, combine that with the motorcycle racing and they were always putting someone in the ground.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Having said that, I have never felt as unsafe as when I was in Mexico City. I had to go there for work. The client picked us up from the airport, dropped us off at the hotel and told us not to go anywhere. Picked us up at the hotel and drove to the job site, dropped us back off at hotel. Even going to the mall that was attached to the hotel, never stepping foot on the street we would get looks that made me feel really uncomfortable. I felt safer driving through the Atlanta ghettos.... maybe cause I was carrying at the time.
    Same exact thing for Sao Paulo.

I did not pick up hatred though, more the way a starving man would look at a plate full of food that just happened to show up.

I do think they know that tourons and business travelers are unarmed and won't have armed guards the way even middle-class locals often will.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe not as well-informed as you think, many of the Caribbean islands are ahead of the US in literacy rate.

Barbados is number 12 in the world, largely behind the Scandinavian countries. Also has a very high percentage of access to clean water, Etc.

True travel does broaden the Mind. Makes you appreciate what you have, and also wish for some of the things that you don't have.

I've been to a lot of different countries, and have yet to visit a place that did not have some redeeming qualities and also some things I didn't like.

Most of them tend to balance out. And never regretted going to a single one of them. Several that I didn't think I would like I loved!

Growing up in South Florida in the 60-70s, I hate tourists. Hate being one even more. When we travel it's usually off the beaten path more than tourist zones. Never do formal tours except for to see a specific item of Interest like castles or historic ruins. Travelled in over 15 Euro/Scandi/UK countries last couple of years and nary a group tour or itinerary. Driven thousands of km on other continents.

We learned that most UNESCO sites are really worth seeing. So when we travel we seek those out. Never been disappointed yet. And there are many around the world.

Example: I'm not a huge fan of Paris, many areas of France I prefer. Actually, pretty much every other part of France I prefer. But until you've driven through the Arc De Triumphe roundabout you really do not understand. I now understand why it's a check off item for French who get their driver's license. Not really a bucket list, but something everyone should experience at least once. It's like running a big set of Rapids, you whoop and high five when you come out safely on the other side.

I could give 100 examples of things like that, some mundane, some Majestic. All in countries that I didn't think I'd really like. But came to appreciate. And came to realize that consistently there are cool things in pretty much every country, many of which you've not heard of until you research it a bit. And in most cases the coolest were well off the Beaten Track and took a good bit of effort to get too.

I don't consider cruising traveling, it's an entirely different Beast. I did not think I would like it, and was very surprised to find I enjoyed it as much as I did. The big difference is you don't have to worry about logistics at all. And in a group everyone can kind of do their own thing.

So it's a very relaxing thing, more of a getaway. I will do both going forward. I really enjoy seeing how locals live, work, and shop and you will never see that on a cruise. But they don't pretend that is the experience either.

I'm a Royal Caribbean fan. Wife and daughter prefer Disney. Sons like both.

It will never replace my non-structured, independent travel. Just a different thing. And enjoyable!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What is "the Gap"?

Love the Caribbean and the people there - hope them all the best.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    That's awesome. I'm a sucker for rainforest/jungle.
    Part II of my series takes place mostly in the Gap:

https://www.amazon.com/VACATION-GONE...dp/B011JDNOZE/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Have you ever seen the Urals? What about the Andes? The Alps? Beautiful mountains with beautiful rivers.
    Cinque Terre at sunset. Driving off the mountain into Budapest at night and seeing the forts, river, and bridges lit up.

The Alps, dolomites, and Tyrol. Well preserved Roman colesium in Verona next to a fort/castle that Leonardo da Vinci designed. Derelict castle on a bend in an isolated stretch of the Danube. Lake and city of Luzurn at night or early morning. The amazing thing is that these places are where people work and live, not a gated off, managed tourist ride.

Much to see that the US will never have. And we have some stuff they don't. One thing I will say, their stuff is largely accessible. If you've not gone on a Grand Canyon rafting trip yet the odds are you won't be able to. Glad I peeked over the rim, but I don't consider that I have actually seen it yet

Feedback Score

I don't see the allure of going there.
    Not to sound elitist, but it ain't for the locals. Tropical AO's are beautiful when you've been bitten by the bug. Some folks prefer mountains and rivers, glaciers, etc. My weakness is palm trees, warm sun, and aqua-blue waters.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast