Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Dillon Powder Measure

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question About Dillon Powder Measure

Kind of mentioned this in another thread, but have a direct question for the more knowledgeable members:

I am loading on a Dillon RL550 using 4.7 Titegroup Powder.

I've noticed variations in thrown powder charges based on variations in the speed and smoothness with which I operate the loader. Never more than .2gr, but it is unusual for me to dump more than 6 or 7 charges without having one come up light or heavy .1gr, usually heavy.

I'm using the same case to check these charges.

What is the usual margin of error +/- on these slider bar powder measures?

Is their a better metering powder that might reduce this variation? Based on my reading, I'd be open to trying either WSF or AA#2 if they meter much better than Titegroup.

Any suggestions?

ETA: I've worked up to 5.0 with no signs of over pressure, so at 4.7 I'm not worried about the variation causing a kaboom.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-17-17 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Perhaps a call to Dillion?

I'm interested in this as well. I'm negotiating to buy either one friend's 550, or another's 650.

I'll be curious as to what Dillon would say the issue is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't used the powders you've mentioned, but a quick Google search indicates that Titegroup has a flake shape. Ball shaped powders fit more uniformly into the powder bar than extruded or flake shaped powders.

Dillon stated in another thread (on another forum) that moving the ram slowly, smoothly, and consistently is the key.

Expecting absolute precision with the powder measure with anything but very small spherical powder isn't exactly reasonable. If you're only occasionally getting + 0.1 grain, then you're doing as well as can be expected (from my ~5 years use of a 550). Unless you and your handgun are supremely accurate, +/- 0.1 grain is not going to make any difference.

There are some tweaks that can be done to the powder bar that are supposed to improve the accuracy, though I haven't tried them yet. Search for Dillon powder measure tweaks or something similar to learn how to possibly remove some of the variation.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-17-17 at 23:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I move the RL550 ram slowly and deliberately in both directions when reloading and still manage to crank out over 300 rounds of 9mm per hour. I check 10 charges on the scale before reloading and see +/- 0.1 grain variation with ball powder.

With flake powder, such as Unique or Titegroup, I sometimes see more variation in charge weights. I almost never load maximum charge weights for a particular powder when reloading for handgun. Usually the accuracy node is somewhere in the middle between minimum and maximum recommended charge weights. If maximum recommended charge weight is 5.2 grains and I want to load flake powder near max, I set the powder measure to drop 5.0 grains. Unless I am shooting a 50 yard PPC match or Bullseye match, that's close enough for government work.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Operation of the handle will make a difference in results I suppose if you're really ham fisted and slamming shit around. I've not had the issue and I load a lot of Titegroup and other flake powders, my charge bar is always spot on +\- .1gr usually not even that much. I've had a Square Deal B and now my XL650 and have enjoyed consistent metering of fine flake and ball powders.

My suggestion is to stop trying to go warp speed. Not only will you get better powder metering, but you'll probably suffer fewer crushed cases if you run a case feeder, fewer misaligned primers (550 priming system sucks, XL650 is the bomb), and better bullet seating alignment.

If you are already going steady and smooth, not ram jamming the press around, you might invest in a new charge bar and other powder thrower small parts. Rebuild it, and see if you had some possible tolerance stacking issues from normal wear and tear. Might be as simple as making sure all the screws are properly adjusted to allow free reciprocal movement of the charge bar, but no additional lash or slop. Worth a try.

Also worth a shot would be ordering a complete spare powder charge assembly, see if a brand new everything does it out of the box. If you have the same issue with a new one, then the design is either not precise enough, there is an issue somewhere else on the press (doubtful), your lot of powder is funky, or it is possessed by demons. If the new one clears it up, rebuild the old one and install the rifle sized charge bar so you never have to swap charge bars again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Two tenths is nothing. If it's practice ammo, I would crank out the ammo without a care. If it's match, load it on a charge master.

Feedback Score
    Probably right, .2gr isn't going to make a lot of difference, even match ammo may not suffer too much. I've run 69gr SMK's over CFE 223 on the Dillon and run a .92" 10 shot group with them out of a stock Colt M4A1 SOCOM II at 100 yards. I'm sure some of those charges had at least +\- .1gr variance.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    .1 gr. is and has been margin of error with Titegroup on my 650 or 550.
    I use TG for range loads in 9mm.

I would recommend going through the press and make sure all components are tight and squared away.
    I've found some small parts that needed replacement after 30 years and a zillion rds.
    Nylon/steel bushings and small bolts have been culprits.
    Dillon CS is the poster child for how it oughta' be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Dillon 550b powder measure is very good with ball powder. If your flake powder is poducing adequate results with normal pressures, your variance would be perfectly acceptable for the intended platform. If your marksmanship is good enough to detect your powder measure variability than you might need to select a spherical powder.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    .1 gr. is and has been margin of error with Titegroup on my 650 or 550.
    I use TG for range loads in 9mm.

I would recommend going through the press and make sure all components are tight and squared away.
    I've found some small parts that needed replacement after 30 years and a zillion rds.
    Nylon/steel bushings and small bolts have been culprits.
    Dillon CS is the poster child for how it oughta' be.
    I'll second this, or third it. Whatever. I mentioned replacing small parts on the powder thrower, but doing the whole press isn't a bad idea either.

When in doubt order a small parts kit for your press, and rebuild it. In fact order 2 of them or call Dillon and tell them what is worn out and order 1 after they send you a free replacement. I keep spare parts on hand so I don't get stuck with the machine being down waiting on replacement parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast