Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k, March 17-18

Feedback Score
    That looks like a lot of fun for guys more fit. And close enough to make a run to Mike Linnig's as a bonus!
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun for guys more fit. And close enough to make a run to Mike Linnig's as a bonus!
    I don't know who Mike Linnig, is - but you're right on the first part! We also get a lot of "less fit" guys too though who have just as much (if not more) fun. It's really amazing the variety of people we get at these - from active duty Special Forces to extreme runners to everyday Joes to overweight out of shape people who have never walked a mile in their life (before hearing about this).

The last ones are the most rewarding to watch. They train up some before the match but don't really know what to expect. They show up on match day clearly intimidated and wondering what they've gotten themselves into. They struggle through the entire course, amazed and surprised at how positive, helpful, and encouraging every single person is there - and how NO ONE is there to judge or look down on them.

And when they finish - even if dead last - the look on their face as they cross the finish line and tell the stories of their trials is worth all the trouble of me putting this on by itself. It is clear they will take that sense of accomplishment with them for the rest of their life - even if they never do anything else like this.

But most of them train their asses off and come back next year to show the course who's boss. ;-)

Feedback Score
    Mike Linnig's is a REALLY good fish place on the southwest side of Louisville. It's 1003.7 miles away so a bit far but from your location definitely worth the drive. I can easily envision everything you described. I'm sure it's a majorly good time. I'll look forward to seeing the next batch of photos posted after the next one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Mike Linnig's is a REALLY good fish place on the southwest side of Louisville. It's 1003.7 miles away so a bit far but from your location definitely worth the drive. I can easily envision everything you described. I'm sure it's a majorly good time. I'll look forward to seeing the next batch of photos posted after the next one.
    I'll have to try that place out - thanks for the tip!

I built the "over" obstacles for Stage 2 today, and while testing them decided to play with some different camera angles and demonstrate various ways to cross these for anyone who hasn't done them before.

I've been dying for an excuse to try out the A-Team camera angle!!!

Feedback Score
    It's great. They've been in business since 1925. They are open about 10 months out of the year. People drive down from Indianapolis just to eat there and then go back home from what I'm told. I would love to go again but they're 1003.7 miles away.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: you will need a light of some kind to navigate and shoot in the cave (Stage 3). If you show up without a light you will not be allowed to shoot and will be given a zero for the stage. Weaponlights are fine to shoot with, but you'll also need a separate light to navigate parts of the cave before the shooting starts. I don't care if you carry a giant spotlight with a 12V truck battery, but you must carry it for the entire course!

If you've never been to the cave before, here's a preview video from last year (the names are different, but the basics are the same this year) that will give you a better idea what to expect:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cancellation reminder: You have one more week to withdraw and get a half-refund (full refunds are no longer available this close to the match). Any withdrawl from the match after Saturday March 3rd will get zero refund. No exceptions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Its almost here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajackz View Post
    Its almost here!
    So close!

And the final obstacle - just before Stage 5 (5k) or Stage 7 (10k). You can thank the evil genius of Dustin Downard of ASE Precision for this one:

ASE Precision Rifle Crawl:

Crawl under barbed wire up to a firing point, dragging a provided rifle drag bag with a provided Bushmaster ACR and magazine loaded with ONE ROUND of ammo behind you. Staying under the obstacle, pull the bag up to you, remove and load the rifle, and make one shot on target through the available port. Unload the rifle, replace it in the drag bag, and crawl back out the way you came in. All of this will be done on the run clock, completely separate from the shooting stage. Anyone who makes the single shot will be entered into a drawing for ASE Precision gear.

https://www.facebook.com/ASEPrecision/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: Match shirt orders must be in by March 5th to get one. You have one more week to get your order in, and shirts will NOT be available for sale at the match. The only way to get one is to order through Shredder Industries:

https://www.shredderlife.com/shop/ro...l-match-shirt/

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast