Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I pin over set screw?

Feedback Score

Should I pin over set screw?

So I'm at the stage in my build where I am assembling the upper -specifically the gas block.

One of my barrels is a LaRue* Stealth which has three dimples and I have the matching gas block. Beefy.
    Should I get this pinned? Thoughts? *sidenote: I am having an multi-month ongoing CS issue with them right now.

Another of my barrels is a Ballistic Advantage Hanson. Comes with a pinned gas block, but no dimples. Should I send it off to have it dimpled?

Lastly, I have a GMR barrel with no dimples or pins. I originally wanted a FSB install, but I can't find someone who will do it because the barrel is nitride'd. Should I dimple & pin? On this one I am using a nitride low-pro Brownell's gas block. Weird set spacing at .415.

What's the thoughts on dimpling? Pinning? Is it a must? - All of these rifles could potentially be duty use.

How can I make sure the gas block is properly aligned without the barrel being dimpled? Can I do any of this work myself -I haven't found anyone in the mid-Michigan area I trust anymore.

Sorry if my thoughts are varied and scattered -ADHD like a mother.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    While I'm not the definitive authority on gas blocks, I've not ever seen a properly installed gas block set-screwed under a hand guard come loose. In fact, it's difficult to take off some factory installed gas blocks such as BCM.

I used to pin mine on no matter what; and while it's the most bomb-proof way to install it, it's overkill.

All exposed gas blocks or FSBs need pinned, no exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice.

A guy I know and whom I trust advised that a pinned gas block would allow less gas to escape than a set screw. I'm not sure if this makes sense to me?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've never heard such a thing, myself. I don't know how that could be possible. A quick search doesn't come up with anything to verify that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could be your friend is thinking that the pressure from the set screws would pull the block tighter against the barrel contour thus providing a better seal. Don't know if that is true or not, just an idea.

Reference your original post - if the gas block is pinned it does not need to be dimpled, so that BA Hanson barrel should be good to go.

Dimpling the barrel for a gas block is not that difficult. I've posted these instructions for installing a Geissele Super Gas Block several times in the past, they explain the process:

https://geissele.com/media/files/super-gas-block-ai.pdf

You can also by a dimpling jig from SLR Rifleworks: http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=579

Use the search function for 'barrel dimpling' and you'll find several threads.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I believe ADCO will dimple opposite the gas port when installing the GB prior to drilling the pin.

It wasn't long ago that this forum was adamant about pins, but that has softened probably based on BCM performance. I have had a few BCM uppers without pins and no issues.

For me, I had ADCO pin my set screw GB. Belts and suspenders!!!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I've never heard such a thing, myself. I don't know how that could be possible. A quick search doesn't come up with anything to verify that.

Geissele
    Superlative
    Ballistic Advantage
    Syrac
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 09-19-17 at 06:59.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you own a drill and bits then just buy a jig and dimple your own barrel, they cost less than $40. I paid $35 for my SLR dimple jig, on one side it lines up on your gas port hole so on the other side the dimples are drilled in the perfect spot.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Geissele
    Superlative
    Ballistic Advantage
    Syrac
    Could you explain further?

How important overall is dimpling or pinning?
    Also, I might give a shot at ADCO. I'm only an hour and half drive away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    If you own a drill and bits then just buy a jig and dimple your own barrel, they cost less than $40. I paid $35 for my SLR dimple jig, on one side it lines up on your gas port hole so on the other side the dimples are drilled in the perfect spot.
    Cool. I need to buy a drill press soon. Either way I would go BRD or SLR.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast