Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I pin over set screw?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    So I'm at the stage in my build where I am assembling the upper -specifically the gas block.

One of my barrels is a LaRue* Stealth which has three dimples and I have the matching gas block. Beefy.
    Should I get this pinned? Thoughts? *sidenote: I am having an multi-month ongoing CS issue with them right now.

Another of my barrels is a Ballistic Advantage Hanson. Comes with a pinned gas block, but no dimples. Should I send it off to have it dimpled?

Lastly, I have a GMR barrel with no dimples or pins. I originally wanted a FSB install, but I can't find someone who will do it because the barrel is nitride'd. Should I dimple & pin? On this one I am using a nitride low-pro Brownell's gas block. Weird set spacing at .415.

What's the thoughts on dimpling? Pinning? Is it a must? - All of these rifles could potentially be duty use.

How can I make sure the gas block is properly aligned without the barrel being dimpled? Can I do any of this work myself -I haven't found anyone in the mid-Michigan area I trust anymore.

Sorry if my thoughts are varied and scattered -ADHD like a mother.
    On that LaRue Tactical Stealth barrel with their gas block, there is no need to pin it. Just use the supplied Loctite and you are good.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Furthermore, if I was to have the gas block pinned but then change the block to another in the future, would the pin hole size be applicable to other gas blocks?

Feedback Score
    i was told by a fairly well respected gunsmith that pinning a low profile gas block is completely unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Geissele
    Superlative
    Ballistic Advantage
    Syrac
    Any links that have data? Would be an interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just my opinion but pinned is better, always. Screws come loose, Loctite makes it less likely but not impossible.

Not saying "if it can come loose it will", but I will say "if it can come loose it might".

The good thing about a lo-pro GB is that it doesn't need to be so elaborate as two tapered pins-- because you don't have a 2 1/2" steel lever (front sight base) to attach. There's no big lever in place to get bumped. many lo-pro GB's will be well protected under the hand guard.

For me the set screws are there to hold it in place while I cross-pin it. A 1/8 or 3/16 split pin is adequate.

Feedback Score
    I pin all mine. Just too easy to do. Granted I dont taper-pin them I just use a coiled stainless roll pin I pick up from BRDEngineering. My go to lo-pro block is the SLR GB7-PIN with a pinning flat already on the block ready to go.

Rainier Extended .750 on a Spikes Optimum Profile Barrel
    IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    Last edited by jataylor11; 09-19-17 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    So if I get a BRD for SLR jig, do I need a drill press or a vise + hand drill?

Also, I emailed Jake Carlson of BRD and asked if it matters which dimpling jig I get if I only intend to drill one dimple -making sure it's the same profile width. He replied, "No sir, all of the jigs do one dimple under the gas port."
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 09-19-17 at 13:23. Reason: Adding Info

Feedback Score
    Ive only used a good drill, bit, vise, NO-MAR vise jaws, low drill speed, patience and some cutting oil.
    Last edited by jataylor11; 09-19-17 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Also, I emailed Jake Carlson of BRD and asked if it matters which dimpling jig I get if I only intend to drill one dimple -making sure it's the same profile width. He replied, "No sir, all of the jigs do one dimple under the gas port."
    Yes, I would use a vice. Lots of dimple jigs out there, I use the SRL because I already had an SRL gas block and my SRL jig does two dimples not just one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m203m8jMYOk
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Wasn't there a thread here a while back where pinning, set screws, and clamp on blocks were compared? I want to say dimpling the barrel had some affect on the bore, where pinned had much less of an affect. I can't remember if the difference was enough to even matter, but I decided to pin the Geissele gas block on my most recent SPR build anyway due in part to the info posted in that thread.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast