Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mid-priced 3-9 for the AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Best mid-priced 3-9 for the AR

I want to set up a "bench" rifle someday. Would be used for plinking out to 500.

I like laying there in the dirt for long stretches and how zen it feels. Someday soon I want to set up an 18" fixed stock AR with a bipod for just relaxing and sending rounds downrange. Looking for a 3-9 power with as small of an objective as possible that won't break the $500 barrier.

I'm partial to Leupold myself but am open to suggestions.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I like my 3-9x40 Trijicon TR20. This one on ebay claims virtually new for $550/offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trijicon-TR2...26.m2548.l4275
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Trijicon is a nice option, especially as it is available with a mildot reticle. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 is a fantastic little optic. I have one on a lightweight 6mm AI in extra-low rings as it is very compact and rides low. Little observable parallax as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/leu...#axzz4t9Zx7M7i

Here is the leupold VXR patrol, not a bad little scope for the money.

Feedback Score
    I'd save another hundred bucks and get this.
    https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-t...iflescope.html
    They get good reviews on the hide. I have a fixed 10x and it has taken a beating and continues to work.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had my VX-R Patrol for a few weeks, and like it so far. The illumination adjustment isn't quite as easy to use as my other scopes with that feature, but the auto on/off does work pretty well. The reticle is a bit thicker than my others, but it's not a detriment to precise shooting.

I'll be using it again this coming weekend.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-19-17 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I will second the SWFA 3-9, I have two of them, one was dropped and even though the objective is dented it did not fog out or have any other problems. I also have their 3-15 and 5-20 with nothing but good things to say about them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    I'd save another hundred bucks and get this.
    https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-t...iflescope.html
    They get good reviews on the hide. I have a fixed 10x and it has taken a beating and continues to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    I will second the SWFA 3-9, I have two of them, one was dropped and even though the objective is dented it did not fog out or have any other problems. I also have their 3-15 and 5-20 with nothing but good things to say about them.
    Third. I have three of those in use. They are nearly perfect for their price and magnification.

Major positives:
    -very wide field of view from 4x-9x
    -very good glass quality - it doesn't "wow!" but if you compare it against other scopes you'll be happy with it
    -solid, repeatable adjustments
    -great reticle
    -relatively compact and light
    -rugged
    -built in mini-sunshade protects the objective and means you don't really need a separate sunshade
    -no side focus but parallax has never been an issue

minor negatives:
    -there is tunneling between 3x and 4x
    -you can find slightly better glass quality at this price range, if that's the only thing you're looking for

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've have the Trijicon, SWFA and had the Leupy.

The Trijicon is on a hunting rifle as it's ideal for me in that configuration and is really lightweight. For longer range and precision stuff, I prefer a finer reticle and dial my holdovers and the Leupold/SWFA are better suited. Dialing with the Trijicon sucks and you'll quickly get lost trying to return to zero. Best to use for reticle holdovers only.

I've beat the snot out of the SWFA and it's still trucking. The glass it good and it tracks very well. The only con is fixed parallax, but I'm using it past 100y all of the time, so no issue for me.

I wanted to like the Leupold. The glass is really nice at the price point and turrets are as well, but I kept having problems with it and gave it to my brother who is still having issues with it. Having mentioned that, The 3-9x40 Mark AR has a $50 rebate and if you get a good one, you'll be GTG: https://swfa.com/leupold-3-9x40-mark...iflescope.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on your needs, I might suggest a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. Coming in right around $200, you could use the rest to get a decent mount, as well. Also, for what it's worth, Redfield's a subsidiary of Leupold, and as I understand, is pretty similar.

I have a revolution in 2-7x30 and like it a lot. Just another option.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/redfiel...e-reticle.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast