Thread: Overseas travel kit recommendations

Feedback Score

Overseas travel kit recommendations

I am going through and trying to redo/update my overseas travel kit. This is for travel that involves flying and not necessarily European 1st world areas, think Caribbean, central, and south America. Mainly I am looking for recommendations on the basics, med kit, edc, etc. I typically take a small kit that tries to cover the basics with the understanding that medical care is either much more difficult and/or very expensive for a non resident and infections and GI issues are much more common. Any recommendations for items that you think are essential I would appreciate. Thanks.

edit: I would love to always take the kitchen sink but I typically travel very light whether for work or personal travel.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    The ITS boo boo kit is a good start. Then bulk up the meds from there.

https://store.itstactical.com/its-boo-boo-kit-plus.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Most of my overseas travel is to China. I take a pretty decent boo-boo kit with an array of OTC meds (Neosporin, Tylenol, Advil, Cold and Sinus, AD, etc). I was also able to get my GP to give me an Rx for a broad-spectrum antibiotic as well as an epi-pen so I take those as well. I also take multi-tool, a fat wad of nitrile gloves, a couple face masks, and a means to filter and disinfect water.

I don't bother with any sort of trauma stuff. Figure if I need that in China I'm coming home in a box anyway...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Most of my overseas travel is to China. I take a pretty decent boo-boo kit with an array of OTC meds (Neosporin, Tylenol, Advil, Cold and Sinus, AD, etc). I was also able to get my GP to give me an Rx for a broad-spectrum antibiotic as well as an epi-pen so I take those as well. I also take multi-tool, a fat wad of nitrile gloves, a couple face masks, and a means to filter and disinfect water.

I don't bother with any sort of trauma stuff. Figure if I need that in China I'm coming home in a box anyway...

Thank you. I need to get my GP to do the same. Yeah, I don't ever take any trauma stuff either . Closest thing is some quickclot gauze. I will have to add a face mask as well.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    To add to the above, here are a few things that travel with me all the time:
    -Imodium/anti-diarrheal plus antacids. I never take these in normal day to day life, but even when travelling domestically there are times when things just don't sit right after eating.
    -allergy meds and a neti pot/sinus rinse bottle. You can find these at Target under the NeilMed brand in the pharmacy section. Being in a total different ecosphere can wreak havoc on your sinuses. Just the smog/ozone/pollution in developing nations will get to me after a few days.
    -melatonin. This is more for en route when changing time zones. If you can't force yourself to sleep on the plane/train/bus, etc, this can help get you there.
    SteriPen- this doesnt travel with me domestically but I took mine to Vietnam just in case. It is a UV light that renders living pathogens, including viruses, incapable of causing serious illness. A bit larger than 2 Sharpies taped together, and no filter media to clog or get used. Just a simple light that cycles in about 90 sec IIRC. Does 1l size bottles in a cycle. Perfect for Nalgene type bottles.
    https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=neilmed
    https://www.steripen.com
    ETA: the steripen quantum is new since I bought mine. Looks like you can do a 4l batch of water in 2.5 minutes now.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 09-19-17 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    That's cool!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I am going through and trying to redo/update my overseas travel kit. This is for travel that involves flying and not necessarily European 1st world areas, think Caribbean, central, and south America. Mainly I am looking for recommendations on the basics, med kit, edc, etc. I typically take a small kit that tries to cover the basics with the understanding that medical care is either much more difficult and/or very expensive for a non resident and infections and GI issues are much more common. Any recommendations for items that you think are essential I would appreciate. Thanks.

edit: I would love to always take the kitchen sink but I typically travel very light whether for work or personal travel.
    A home-made battery charger is a MUST. Be sure to use clay to hold everything together for durability.

Honestly, a water filter would be high priority if you are hiking and such. Alcohol wipes and first aid kit will be good.

Knives are legal in most SA countries, and guns in some iirc.

Also keep in mind aspirin is multi-use. Pain, heart, etc.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-19-17 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    AA Fenix flashlight
    Two electrical converters, one is none, built in USB is better
    Stick battery charger
    Antacids, antacids, antacids and some pepto single uses.

I travel with bar lather and a brush to shave.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1) Lifestraw
    2) Money belt for your currency
    3) a small compass

Not part of a kit, but...
    1) Make a digital copy of your passport and have it easily accessible along with two recent passport photos
    2) The address and contact info for the nearest US Embassy or consulate.
    3) Subscribe to the State Department's travel warnings and advisories... https://step.state.gov/STEPMobile/Em...riptions/Index

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Diarhia medications.
    Copy of your passport.
    Get your shots before you go. Your travel clinic will know what shots you'll need for the area you're going. This will be expensive.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.