Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larue predatobr vs custom build

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalE View Post
    Oh god, the process. It's addictive.
    There's something addictive about building. There's something addictive about rattle canning your AR's, and I suspect if I were wired to buy my AR's I'd say there was something addictive there as well.

I'm glad I cleared all that up. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    For a factory gun it might be worth looking into the LMT MWS with a match grade barrel as well

There is a lot of correct in this statement.

OP, remember .308 gas rifles are a little different than 5.56 rifles, you just might be better off letting someone screw it together for you. Personally, I could screw-up a cup of coffee.

What I'm about to post cost me a small fortune to learn, and I'm still stupid.

You want a very .mil rifle, look at KAC.

You want a laser beam rifle that is incredibly soft shooting and doesn't weigh 14 lbs., look at JP.

Best bang for your .308 buck that is very much .mil is LMT.

OP, regardless of which road you take, Good Luck.
    Last edited by Spin Drift; 09-21-17 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    5.56 I will ALWAYS build. 7.62 buy a complete gun. The variances are so great in parts for the 7.62 guns that you are better off to buy them.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    5.56 I will ALWAYS build. 7.62 buy a complete gun. The variances are so great in parts for the 7.62 guns that you are better off to buy them.
    ^ this is my perspective, too. Maybe if my LMT MWS wears out, I'll try building a 7.62...Maybe.

5.56/300blk/6.8spc? heck. I'll build them just for fun.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    ^ this is my perspective, too. Maybe if my LMT MWS wears out, I'll try building a 7.62...Maybe.

5.56/300blk/6.8spc? heck. I'll build them just for fun.
    I would build another .308 in a heartbeat. Not sure if I got lucky, but from the day I finished the build to today it has ran flawless. The only issue I've had was an adjustable gas block fail. It would have failed in an AR-15 too. It was defective. I just put on a spare adjustable GB, opened it up full open and it runs like a scalded dog.
    It's true there isn't really a "mil standard" but I knew what parts to use - when I needed to use a proprietary part (like the takedown and pivot pins) and also I learned a little along the way - i.e. I leaned to use Forward Controls EMR-C mag catch button with a mil spec AR-15 mag catch. With the thicker receiver body, the EMR-C gives you a mag catch at a perfect height.

There was no PFM on specs or tolerances. Stuff worked the way it was designed to work. And aside from how the takedown detent and spring go into the receiver, which is even EASIER than an AR-15, I could not tell the difference in my build process.

I guess I could build another to see if it was luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've done both. I've built guns and I bought a 5.56 PredatOBR. The advantage of the tOBR isn't any cost savings or anything like that, its in its design. The whole thing can be taken apart down to its basic component parts with an included barrel nut wrench. The adjustable gas block works well, and the balance in the gas system as to spring/buffer/port size is well done. The fit and overall design of the upper and lower is very well done as well. If there was a detraction, it would be that I wish the handguard was available in an mlok configuration which may be a future possibility if you read the threads on TOS.

IMO, with premium level rifles the accuracy limitation will always be ammunition.

Feedback Score
    I agree buy vs build when it comes to a 308, my colt 901 is accurate with 168gr hornady amax like 3 shot group is one ragged hole with a trijicon 3-9, with 168 federal gold medal it's 3 shot under an inch, hornady 155gr it was about the same as the federal. I would like a 4-16 on there for some better zoom at 100 but oh well. I really want a noveske N6 as I have my 3gun rifle with a noveske spr barrel and it shoots great. I think with the variances in 308 you're best getting a factory gun. I do want to try my hand at building a 308 precision gun one day but if you have the money I would get a larue with like a nightforce on top.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Another consideration for a very .mil looking gun that is sub MOA accurate is the Daniel Defense DD5V1 or V2. The 1 is a 16" barrel, the V2 is an 18". They are a bit spendy, but offer several things that are pretty forward thinking, and the rifle is incredibly well thought out. Mine is topped with a Burris XTRII 1-8 scope for a "DMR" type roll. It is very, very reliable, super accurate, very light for a 7.62, and uses the same barrel lock up system as the Larue. The way the barrel attaches eliminates the traditional barrel but, and is said to be much stronger. IDK how much strength is needed to attach a barrel, and the traditional way hasn't ever seemed failure prone, but it is very nicely done.

The barrel has a great profile, and its 1/11 twist rate gives it the ability to stabilize the heavier 175 gr projectiles. 1/12 barrels are pretty standard for the 168, but the 175's seem to do better with a tighter twist.

As I stated, they're a bit spendy, BUT for a sub minute, off the shelf rifle with a lifetime warranty, I think that Daniel did a great job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12