Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Firearm Hooked You Into Being an Enthusiast?

Feedback Score

What Firearm Hooked You Into Being an Enthusiast?

Once upon a time I struck up a conversation with a couple of guys at a little podunk saloon on the outskirts of town one Friday afternoon. The conversation turned to guns, and one of the guys told me he had a pre-ban folding stock AK.

I was not much of a gun guy back then. I had owned a revolver for self-defense but had never really looked into getting anything else. I knew AK's had been banned, so in the back of my mind I wondered if this guy's AK was illegal or just barely legal. He claimed the pre-ban ones were grandfathered, but not knowing the guy I didn't necessarily believe him.

I followed the guy back to his house, and one of his other buddies followed us. He pulled out a pre-1989-ban B-West sidefolder AK. Of course I immediately offered to buy it from him. He just laughed.

Several weeks went by, and the guy showed up at the very same bar complaining his girlfriend had kicked him out. Suddenly he wanted to sell that AK. Without hesitation, I went to the bank and got the money and bought it from him a few days later. We started going to the range every weekend for me to shoot that rifle, and for them to shoot various firearms.

I was hooked. I bought two more AK's that summer, plus a couple of MAK90's by the end of that year. Too bad the B-West AK turned out to be one of those with the soft receiver: it started to come apart after a few hundred rounds. But there was no going back as far as me and firearms--especially modern evil-looking rifles.

What firearm hooked you into being an enthusiast?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-19-17 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh god. Haha.

This is a tough question, but, I will bite.

So, I was a mere youngin and Games where getting into the third dimension and TV's started being flatter.

Beyond the video game aspect, I remember when the POS dude my mom was cheating on my dad with left an illegal Sawd-off double barrel in the garage.

Beyond being 16 and so badly wanting that D-Bags popper to go missing, I didn't want to risk dealing with a twacked out tweaker over an illegal gun.

When I was 18, I was gifted a handgun, and that was a Hi-Point. Sadly, it was a Hi-Point that got me hooked. I had used firearms since young, but when I fired my first .40s, it was made into a weekly routine. Got my CCW training with that Hi-Point and purchased a TP9 when I turned 21. An AR15 within a couple months after.

I still look back to the days in that garage, and how tempted I was to jack that fool.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-19-17 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cap gun at about 2 years old. Pretty much had interest in guns since, perhaps even before really.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    A Team
    Miami Vice
    Seeing the gun room in Commando
    Shooting a shotgun at age 5
    And my super realistic toy Rambo Uzi.
    Like for real, carry that now and some rookie cop would freek and cap you.
    Yet I toted it to school everyday

tl;dr The 80s

Feedback Score
    But I'm talking about ACTUAL firearms...not childhood toys. We could all point to our toy guns as an influence.

What real live gun made you decide to buy more guns?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OH!

Glock 17 gen 1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I don't know if I can point to a single gun that I can point to that made me go, I want to buy more. It was more, me always being interested in guns, like reading gun rags at the age of 6 interested in them and buying books on guns when I was like 11 and reading up on the history of them, and then getting to a position where I could save up pennies to buy them, and once I was old enough to be able to afford more adding to my collection and my collection, interest, and knowledge growing from there.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    A slingshot started the whole projectile fascination.
    My grandfather's Savage .22/.410 O/U was my gun hook.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    But I'm talking about ACTUAL firearms...not childhood toys. We could all point to our toy guns as an influence.
    I think that I had decided/wanted to buy guns long before I could buy guns. I was always a 'gun guy (kid)'.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I should rephrase it. Even I shot my dad's .410's rabbit hunting and his gallery gun .22 rifle hooked me into shooting.

But isn't there that first (or maybe subsequent) firearm purchase where you finally plunked down the money for that special gun, and after that it was Katie Bar the Door as far as "I need more guns?" Wasn't there that one gun that loosened your wallet for firearms from then on?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-19-17 at 17:40.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast