Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Firearm Hooked You Into Being an Enthusiast?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Beretta 93R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'll tell you how it happened for a guy I used to know (since I doubt he's a member here and may not be alive still). Back in the late '70's/early '80's he was a pseudo-hippie liberal who couldn't understand why people had to own guns, and hated it even more that his kid always wanted guns and war toys for Christmas.

So.....he decided to teach his kid a lesson and scare the Hell out of him with a real gun. He claimed he went to the gun shop and bought a Colt SP-1. He planned to take his kid to the range to show him how loud, smelly, and scary firearms are, and to use that illustration to teach him that guns are about death and suffering.

Before taking his kid to the range, though, he decided to try it out by himself in a secluded location so his other liberal friends wouldn't see him with a "gun".

He was hooked. He claimed he had more fun that day than doing anything else he could remember. He converted to being a gun enthusiast on the spot and IIRC became a strong opponent of gun control.

I don't know if he ever got around to taking his kid to the range.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-20-17 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Daisy Model 99, age 8.

Then shortly after, Jack O'Conner convinced me (and a bunch of others) that I needed a model 70 in .270.

Which became the second one that I bought & owned personally. First being a M1 carbine. Might have been age 14 on both. Paid for by hard work at $1.75/ hr

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    WASR 10. I'm more of an AR guy now but I still love my Kalashnikovs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    The Beretta 93R.

Well played.

If serious that's still cool.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Beretta 93R.

Howdy,

I used the 93R in WWII to kill Hitler and Tojo.
    I can tell none of you served. Y'all live in yer mommas basements pleasuring yourselves and playing Wildlands. Well, lemme tell ya the rice paddies of Germany were some real "Wildlands" I was a sniper armed with a Grand 30-06 I had rechambered in 8mm so I could use Fritz's ammo im a pinch. I also had my Beretta 93R rebarreled into .40 for moar stawpin powah.

Yep me and Patton were bros. I told him that gay ass .45 LC of his was a girl's gun. I teased him like that. But he wasn't all that. Anyways I parachuted in to Berlin killing Krauts and shot Hitler. Then I ruckmarched to Japan and killed Tojo. I was also part of Navy CAG and I lased Hiroshima for the A-Bomb.

You virgins would be speaking Germanese right now if not for the Beretta 93R

HTH,

Firefly

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Howdy,

I used the 93R in WWII to kill Hitler and Tojo.
    I can tell none of you served. Y'all live in yer mommas basements pleasuring yourselves and playing Wildlands. Well, lemme tell ya the rice paddies of Germany were some real "Wildlands" I was a sniper armed with a Grand 30-06 I had rechambered in 8mm so I could use Fritz's ammo im a pinch. I also had my Beretta 93R rebarreled into .40 for moar stawpin powah.

Yep me and Patton were bros. I told him that gay ass .45 LC of his was a girl's gun. I teased him like that. But he wasn't all that. Anyways I parachuted in to Berlin killing Krauts and shot Hitler. Then I ruckmarched to Japan and killed Tojo. I was also part of Navy CAG and I lased Hiroshima for the A-Bomb.

You virgins would be speaking Germanese right now if not for the Beretta 93R

HTH,

Firefly
    Thank you for your servus patriot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Beretta 93R.

Went right over my head. If I was a dog, right now I'd be wearing the cone of shame.

Feedback Score

What Firearm Hooked You Into Being an Enthusiast?

7 years old, toting a single-shot shotty .410 while quail "hunting" with my grandad, dad, and uncle.

Mine was never loaded, until the men had done their shooting...we'd get out of that last covey of the day and pops would let me "Barney Fife" that single round. I asked him later (in life) why he never let me have a crack at a real covey, and he said he had made a deal with my uncle...he would make sure I didn't shoot the dogs, lol.

Something about the seriousness of it all. The respect and reverence they gave to these inanimate objects and the quarry they used them against....with the added air of a controlled danger.

I could not get enough.

Hooked me good.
    Last edited by JC5188; 09-21-17 at 05:21.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Cap gun at about 2 years old. Pretty much had interest in guns since, perhaps even before really.
    I may have been 4 but cap gun too. Followed by years of trying to convince my parents to let have an air pistol, lol.

Feedback Score
    I guess what first got me interested in guns in general was seeing my Dad's Model 19 .357 Mag. I'd ask him at the end of the day if I could hold it and he'd let me watch him unload it and explain what he was doing and then hand it to me me and remind me to keep it pointed in a safe direction. He'd always make me swing out the cylinder, look and then also press the ejector rod to make sure it was unloaded. That's where the interest started and I was about 6 or 7.

I received a BB gun one year, 7th birthday I think. The old standard Daisy Red Ryder and I must have put over 10K bbs through it. I'd shoot every single day after school in the backyard. Everthing from paper targets to bottle caps. A couple years later I got a replacement BB gun, a Crosman CO2 powered that I probably put at least another 10k through. I was already hooked on shooting when I was 11 and got a Marlin Model 60 for my birthday. I still have that Model 60 and I have no idea what the round count on it is but it still shoots and hits where it's aimed.

I think what really hooked me though was when I put together a gun for the very first time. It was a Black Powder Colts 1861 .44 replica that came in a kit form. I worked on it for weeks, shaping the grip and then bluing the steel parts and I gave it to my Dad for Christmas. He was tickled that I'd bought him a gun. We took it out and shot it several times that morning and had a blast. By the end of Christmas vacation we'd shot up all the lead balls I'd bought and that was when I started casting lead balls from wheelweights I got at the Shell station down the street.

So that little black powder revolver got me irreversibly hooked on firearms, casting and ultimately, reloading for everything I shoot.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast