Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My "beater" truck gun build turned not so beater.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

My "beater" truck gun build turned not so beater.

So my goal was a to build a beater truck gun that is reliable and I could trust if ever needed when on the road. Well stop there are remove beater moving forward. Plans changed. I began this journey after having one of my 11.5 Kights CQB SBR with an Aimpoint M4s in my truck for a few years and becoming paranoid it would go missing one day.. I wouldn't want to leave it when parking my vehicle anywhere. I don't leave my truck outside overnight and the only extended non attended times are in covered parking at the airport. So I bought a truck vault to securely store my rifle and gear in my SUV and went on my hunt for the remaining parts search for the build. So right out of the gate. Throw the beater word right out of the window. I ended up just building another quality rifle and pretty much went away from what I was going to do from the start. Go figure. Most of these parts I had already laying around so I didn't really have much expense in my truck gun build. I knew I needed something else reliable that I could trust my life on. My original plans to build a beater had me rethinking... Most likely if I was in a situation to use a rifle, it very well could be when I'm not inside my house. So I wanted to use all quality parts, and parts I would trust. And that turned into a higher quality build instead of a beater. I also have interstate travel forms filled out for almost 20 states so being an SBR I'm not worried about state travel. So it goes as follows:

Lower:

BCM SBR'd Lower
    Vltor A5
    Geissele SD-C
    Magpul SL-S
    Bad ambi selector

Upper:

Vltor mur1a
    Centurion CMR 9.5
    DD 10.3 Barrel
    Centurion C4 BCG
    KAC micro 2-6 rear
    DD fixed front
    KAC CH
    AAC Brake
    AAC M42000
    Surefire M300c w/SR05
    KAC offset scout mount
    Norah hand stop
    Aimpoint T1 w/ADM QD mount

I zero all my rifles at 50 with Mk262's and this thing shot half inch groups at 50 with a 4moa dot. So plenty accurate for what I would do with it.

Like it or hate it, I'm all ears. Enjoy.

Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-20-17 at 13:41.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Very nice setup. I have been using the original 9.5 CMR since it came out and really like it. How are you liking the truck vault?

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Awesome rifle. I have a lower sitting at home right now with the identical setup as yours, except for a Larue grip on mine. That's certainly not your average beater.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    Very nice setup. I have been using the original 9.5 CMR since it came out and really like it. How are you liking the truck vault?
    Thanks. I appreciate it. The truck vault is just awesome. I did get it second hand from a private security guy. He only had it for a year and switched vehicles so he had no use. The push button entry with key override is awesome. I would hate to try to get into it quick and then realize my keys were still in the ignition or whatnot. . They are very solid and I have much more piece of mind leaving a suppressed SBR in my truck now.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wigbones View Post
    Awesome rifle. I have a lower sitting at home right now with the identical setup as yours, except for a Larue grip on mine. That's certainly not your average beater.
    Thanks. Yea I went into it thinking I'm going to build a beater truck gun and ended up with a quality build. My "truck" rifle mentality has always been put a beat up parts gun in there. But coming down to it, I don't really trust anything that's not quality. Guess that is subjective anyway.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This AR is to beater guns as Ermenegildo Zegna dress shirts are to George dress shirts from Walmart. 🤣.
    Nonetheless a fine looking rifle my friend. Well done and honestly I wouldn't expect anything less than.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Also I was thinking...you probably need to go through some electroshock therapy before you could build a true budget truck gun. You know as you click the Add to cart on the Geissele trigger you get shocked. KAC sights... ZAAAPPPPP!!! Vltor upper? ZAAAPPPP!!

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Another super solid build J,

Did you do any gas port adjustment, or just running it as-is?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Another super solid build J,

Did you do any gas port adjustment, or just running it as-is?
    Thanks Clint. Not on this one. While I could have gone smaller, I would have had to chop down a barrel to achieve a suppressed only port size or a GB insert or Adj gas block. I just tossed on factory pinned GB that was on the barrel and went with it it as is. Just didn't want to get that involved on this one. These new DD barrels with the .070 run pretty well. I did put in a sprinco green and the A5H3 to get better suppressed results, as I plan to just keep this can on it. I've actually done very little port testing on 10.3 barrels as I tend not to go for anything less then 11.5. I've had this extra M42k sitting for almost 2 years without a rifle that would be best with it, so I opted for the 10.3 here. The M42k is a great performer on these shorties and I actually still recommend it for folks looking to suppresses a 10.x gun and want to spend less then 500 bucks with muzzle device. Hard to beat that.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This AR is to beater guns as Ermenegildo Zegna dress shirts are to George dress shirts from Walmart. ��.
    Nonetheless a fine looking rifle my friend. Well done and honestly I wouldn't expect anything less than.

Thanks Robert. I know. I know. I just don't have it in me to build a true beater. Therapy as you say is needed. Thanks for the compliment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast