Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My "beater" truck gun build turned not so beater.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looks pretty good... ya know, for a "beater" lol

Is there anything different that you would have done had you sourced new parts and built it from scratch? Guessing the best option would have been a second Knights CQB but short of that is there anything this one doesn't do or have that you would have liked?

Was going to ask your thoughts about the M42k compared to other 5.56 cans out today but you kind of answered that above.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Great build!

I've grown pretty attached to my SUV's security box as well.
    I'm able to keep a LOT of my usual range gear/defense weapons/ammo/etc with relative peace of mind.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wish my nice rifles were as nice as your beater

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalFun View Post

Agreed.

Nice build OP!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Looks pretty good... ya know, for a "beater" lol

Is there anything different that you would have done had you sourced new parts and built it from scratch? Guessing the best option would have been a second Knights CQB but short of that is there anything this one doesn't do or have that you would have liked?

Was going to ask your thoughts about the M42k compared to other 5.56 cans out today but you kind of answered that above.
    I probably would have just gone with an Aero stripped upper and most likely a cheaper (cost) barrel for a truck gun. I actually bought a Colt 11.5 but decided not to use it on this build because of the Larger gas port then the DD with longer dwell time. And because I was using this M42k specifically I just continued on with the DD 10.3. I would also just get an Aimpoint pro instead of the T1. But when I only have 365 bucks into the T1 with mount, it's hard to not use it. This is my first CMR rail, but not by any means first Cenurion rail. I have to say, this rail was meant for this 10.3 setup. Just awesome. I was going to use a RIS2 but that would have meant buying another MD or using the 11.5 barrel to clear the M42k with the brake. If using the blackout or breakout 2.0 you would clear the rail on the Ris. So in actuality I kinda built this gun around the suppressor.

The M42k is a much better can then most give it credit for. Sure the mounting system isn't the best... but how many of those folks hold the latch down when spinning the can on?? My first M42k I would spin the thing on and off all the time, and sure enough it went back for a latch. This one, no issues because I know better. Aside from weight, it is a really great can for short SBRs. Little more blowback the the RC and not my favorite attachment meathod. But it works and still works well. I still recommend it to this day.

I also had to mill off the Mlok tabs on the scout mount and the handstop. Using new screws also to thread direct into the rail. I wrap my index finger around the hand stop and thumb is on top of the rail. I usually run KAC micro irons on the front, but this DD gave me a little extra thumb space on the rail for my thumb.

I would have also gone with a SR06 switch so I could put it just a touch further back on the rail.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Great build!

I've grown pretty attached to my SUV's security box as well.
    I'm able to keep a LOT of my usual range gear/defense weapons/ammo/etc with relative peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by koconnell2 View Post
    Agreed.

Nice build OP!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to imply that it's a beater. More of just how my original plan was beater that turned into a solid build. I'm having trouble filling this truck vault thing up actually. I should have bought one years ago.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-20-17 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Another great build! Your builds are always inspiring to me. Do you like this set up better than the 12" SBR build you did about a year (?) ago?

NC

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    "Beater" build turns out not so beater, lol. I have this problem too. You end up with a fleet of fine rifles and wonder, "how did I get here?" At this point lets call it risk insensitivity. Could probably stand to lose one and not miss it. Problem is after obsessing so much over a build I form an attachment to it. But a rifle has gotta do work sometime and can't just be a freeloading safe-queen!

Sweet rifle! Love the lines with the can and Centurian rail. As always, top notch quality. Glad to see DD barrels with a good port-size too.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I thought the exact same thing lol. Fantastic and well thought out go to war truck gun OP.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Another great build! Your builds are always inspiring to me. Do you like this set up better than the 12" SBR build you did about a year (?) ago?

NC
    Thank you. I do really like it. But it's hard to compare them as they are pretty different. Both shoot excellent but if I had to pick it's a no brainer for a 12.5 with LPV over a 10.x gun. This one is specific for my truck so this one is better for that use. Just different I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    "Beater" build turns out not so beater, lol. I have this problem too. You end up with a fleet of fine rifles and wonder, "how did I get here?" At this point lets call it risk insensitivity. Could probably stand to lose one and not miss it. Problem is after obsessing so much over a build I form an attachment to it. But a rifle has gotta do work sometime and can't just be a freeloading safe-queen!

Sweet rifle! Love the lines with the can and Centurian rail. As always, top notch quality. Glad to see DD barrels with a good port-size too.
    Thanks. I was very please on the lines as you mention with the rail and the can. I have always loved the look of the origonal CMR rails and very glad I went with one here.

Yes I can't tell you how many times I start a build saying I'm not spending 3k on this one. Then that goes out the window. Next thing ya know you also have a can on it when the intention wasn't to. It's a disease I'm pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I thought the exact same thing lol. Fantastic and well thought out go to war truck gun OP.
    Thank you wicked. Figured if it was going to be something I may need to rely on, when out and about, and don't have a choice from a safe full of rifles, that I better build it to my normal standards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast