Thread: FN 5.7: Adding an RMR

Feedback Score

FN 5.7: Adding an RMR

Having an extra RMR I wanted to see how this performed. I have used red dot sights on my 5.7.

Well, the newer design just requires removal of the rear sight.

Tools I needed:

Precision mallet
    1/16 punch to remove the pin
    Flat head screwdriver
    Blue Locktite
    Bench vise to compress the roll pin.
    3/32 roll pin punch
    Lots of oil

The easiest part is removing the rear sight. Use a 1/16 punch to remove the pin. Screwdriver to remove the rear sight.
    Screwdriver to attach the mount. Then, I tried to punch the roll pin without compressing. That didn't work. I used the bench vise to compress the roll pin. Then I used a 3/32 punch and gently tapped it through.

Blue Locktite to secure the RMR to the mount.

I set up the RMR for 25 yards. Was able to shoot it out to 50 yards very easily. It's a flat shooter even at 75 yards.

I was able to hit 150 yard plates, also, with a slight holdover.

With the RMR the target acquisition it fast, and it is consistent. No issues with reliability with the gun at all. Not with an RMR. I used SS197.

I'll tell you that ASTIGMATISM is the major limiting condition that may hinder your ability using a red dot/reflex sight.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    Why astigmatism?

Feedback Score

FN 5.7: Adding an RMR

Quote Originally Posted by jstrange View Post
    Why astigmatism?
    Difficulty focusing on the red dot, if uncorrected. It has marked distortion.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have been using an RM04 which is their ambient light & tritium powered unit. The orange dot is soft and has no bloom. If astigmatism is an issue then I would suggest checking one of those units out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I have been using an RM04 which is their ambient light & tritium powered unit. The orange dot is soft and has no bloom. If astigmatism is an issue then I would suggest checking one of those units out.
    I am also using the RM-04, Dual Illumination, Amber, on this, like you.

The red dot that is illuminated can cause issues in some people with uncorrected astigmatism.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's a neat mount...Too bad it's not compatible with the fixed-sight model or I'd grab one to play around with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    That's a neat mount...Too bad it's not compatible with the fixed-sight model or I'd grab one to play around with.
    I'd think they would make it for your model, too.

It is one frustration I have with FN pistols is finding aftermarket parts to convert them. I have an FNP 45 I'd like to have a reflex sight mounted similarly but can't seem to find one.