Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have two choices for my first AR-15. Thoughts appreciated

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I could have gotten the trooper for $699, I would have never done the Colt OEM thing.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    Get whatever Colt suits your purpose and don't look back.
    While I don't disagree - the Colt 6920 is an absolutely incredible value and will do everything anyone on this forum wants to do with an AR15 and blows the Ruger out of the water in every aspect...

...how can you be sure? The OP didn't even mention what his purpose is when asking for a rifle suggestion, a forum rule by the way...

I still say get the 6920. You can run it over with a truck, submerge it in water, stomp on it in mud, throw it out of a tree, and it will be a-ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    If I could have gotten the trooper for $699, I would have never done the Colt OEM thing.
    Agreed. My Colt 6920 OEM was like $700 after shipping and FFL fees but fortunately I had furniture at home so it was clean. I would've gotten the trooper however for that price.

I have been waiting a few months for Colt to get my gun back to me from repair and I'm getting impatient. I might buy another one. For those wondering, a 6920 falling down a 1,500 foot high rocky cliff face in Appalachia will cause accuracy issues. Colt will still honor the warranty, however.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-20-17 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    While I don't disagree - the Colt 6920 is an absolutely incredible value and will do everything anyone on this forum wants to do with an AR15 and blows the Ruger out of the water in every aspect...

...how can you be sure? The OP didn't even mention what his purpose is when asking for a rifle suggestion, a forum rule by the way...

I still say get the 6920. You can run it over with a truck, submerge it in water, stomp on it in mud, throw it out of a tree, and it will be a-ok.

Agreed. My Colt 6920 OEM was like $700 after shipping and FFL fees but fortunately I had furniture at home so it was clean. I would've gotten the trooper however for that price.

I have been waiting a few months for Colt to get my gun back to me from repair and I'm getting impatient. I might buy another one. For those wondering, a 6920 falling down a 1,500 foot high rocky cliff face in Appalachia will cause accuracy issues. Colt will still honor the warranty, however.
    Bet you can shoot around corners with it though!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For those wondering, a 6920 falling down a 1,500 foot high rocky cliff face in Appalachia will cause accuracy issues. Colt will still honor the warranty, however.
    Wait, what? When did that happen and how? Please explain how that one occured. Pics of the rifle after said base jump would be appreciated as well.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Wait, what? When did that happen and how? Please explain how that one occured. Pics of the rifle after said base jump would be appreciated as well.
    Several months ago. It's been with Colt since May. I can show pics but it looks totally normal and I wouldnt be able to for a few days. I wasn't able to figure out what the issue was.

Checked rear sight. removed and reinstalled barrel torqued to spec. Removed, inspected, and reinstalled FH to spec. Check upper and lower for cracks. Checked front sight base/post with no issues. I legit have no idea what happened and the guys at Colt (Specifically Cory in CS) were just as interested to know as I was.

I don't mean to disrupt the thread. I was going to update the 6920 thread when I ran over it with a truck but I've been waiting until I found out what the issue was.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-20-17 at 11:25. Reason: Totally normal = scratched, dirty, etc but the barrel isnt crooked or anything

Feedback Score

Well, my purpose is pretty general, but biggest is simply for a first ar-15. So gun collecting, home defense, and range time. A mixture of all of those. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck in terms of quality. I think this version of the 6920 does it for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several months ago. It's been with Colt since May. I can show pics but it looks totally normal and I wouldnt be able to for a few days. I wasn't able to figure out what the issue was.

Checked rear sight. removed and reinstalled barrel torqued to spec. Removed, inspected, and reinstalled FH to spec. Check upper and lower for cracks. Checked front sight base/post with no issues. I legit have no idea what happened and the guys at Colt (Specifically Cory in CS) were just as interested to know as I was.

I don't mean to disrupt the thread. I was going to update the 6920 thread when I ran over it with a truck but I've been waiting until I found out what the issue was.
    Well they always said you marines could tear up anything.

I'll keep an eye out for when you post an update. I am curious what happened now.

anyway on topic, the Trooper is a damn good value. Am tempted myself and I need another AR like I need another set of balls.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I know the colt 6920 has better quality materials over the Ruger, for discussion reasons, is there any reason to have gotten the Ruger ar556 MPR? It does seem the ruger has a better trigger? What about the 5R rifling despite it been 4140?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    I know the colt 6920 has better quality materials over the Ruger, for discussion reasons, is there any reason to have gotten the Ruger ar556 MPR? It does seem the ruger has a better trigger? What about the 5R rifling despite it been 4140?
    Negative. Not in that particular case. (IMO)

There might be a few other combinations I'd consider equal, but not at that price.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Congrats. You made a wise decision. Enjoy your new Colt. That's a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast