Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultradyne C-4 Iron Sights

Feedback Score

Ultradyne C-4 Iron Sights

This is not really an optic but it may replace some optics. This is the Ultradyne iron sight system. A combination muzzle break/flip up front iron sight goes in just behind the break on the barrel. The center post is a see through which you line up with a special front sight with a similar small peep within a peep. They claim hits of 400 yards are nothing and have gone out much further.

https://ultradyneusa.com/

Has anybody tried this or used this? It looks fantastic in their videos.

Four minute video showing sighting in from Ultradyne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3nT1nYyhY

Written review

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ith-ultradyne/

Twelve minute video shooting in the field at distant targets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sunE2XsJVVA

What do you think?
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 12-18-18 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They are certainly good looking, but I can't say as I know anything about them. The pricing doesn't seem to be crazy.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Lost me at the elevation adjustment on the front sight. Pretty much everyone messes this up when they attempt the diopter concept on an AR because they use the elevation adjustable front post. Aperture in aperture/diopter sights require that the front sight stay centered in the front aperture. Think MP5/G3 or SAN 550/551.

The beauty of diopters is that the eye automatically centers the two apertures with each other. Sight alignment is done subconsciously. Doesn’t work as well when the front post can move vertically in the front aperture because the eyes align the apertures, but then the post must be centered, so the apertures are taken out of alignment to do this. That makes the initial alignment pointless and you now have to fight the subconscious desire to keep the apertures aligned to keep the post centered in the sight picture.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Lost me at the elevation adjustment on the front sight. Pretty much everyone messes this up when they attempt the diopter concept on an AR because they use the elevation adjustable front post. Aperture in aperture/diopter sights require that the front sight stay centered in the front aperture. Think MP5/G3 or SAN 550/551.

The beauty of diopters is that the eye automatically centers the two apertures with each other. Sight alignment is done subconsciously. Doesn’t work as well when the front post can move vertically in the front aperture because the eyes align the apertures, but then the post must be centered, so the apertures are taken out of alignment to do this. That makes the initial alignment pointless and you now have to fight the subconscious desire to keep the apertures aligned to keep the post centered in the sight picture.
    I agree but it looks like there is no front post IN an aperture, the front post IS the aperture.

Front sight looks like a nice lever arm just waiting to be bumped and lose zero.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I agree but it looks like there is no front post IN an aperture, the front post IS the aperture.

Front sight looks like a nice lever arm just waiting to be bumped and lose zero.
    The rounded hood, ala “HK style” that most companies call their front sight base that is round instead of traditional ears, acts as an aperture.

Feedback Score
    A guy hits a golf ball --2nd Try--at 100 yards with these sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

He says he may not even put an optic on this rife.

Feedback Score
    I’ve used aperture front and aperture rear sights on .22 target rifles before. I have a set that use an acrylic lens with a conical hole for the front aperture so you get this floating front sight ring. Got a whole set of different sizes.

Excellent for target shooting at round bullseye targets in a non optic division of small bore competitive rifle.

If I’m not constrained by a rule disallowing optics, I’m going to run an optic. An aperture sight still doesn’t allow for target ID like a magnified optic, doesn’t help you see the target better, and struggles in low light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I’ve used aperture front and aperture rear sights on .22 target rifles before. I have a set that use an acrylic lens with a conical hole for the front aperture so you get this floating front sight ring. Got a whole set of different sizes.

Excellent for target shooting at round bullseye targets in a non optic division of small bore competitive rifle.

If I’m not constrained by a rule disallowing optics, I’m going to run an optic. An aperture sight still doesn’t allow for target ID like a magnified optic, doesn’t help you see the target better, and struggles in low light.
    You are right. It doesn't help you see the target better. But I am a self defense shooter. My concerns are self defense if attacked and SHTF. If I shoot someone 400 yards away, I am going to trial as it is going to be very hard to prove self defense at that distance. So, if I were to shoot at this distance, someone would first have to shoot at me.

The question then arises, am I going to carry around a heavy, long range optic on the chance that someone is going to fire upon me a great distances? No. I am going to exchange my current irons for this system and otherwise hope to close distance on whomever is firing upon me at long range. But I am going to be capable of a 400 yard shot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This looks good. although Dustin Ellerman could probably hit just about anything with no sights

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post

I reached the same conclusion a long time ago, and gave up on the "HK" style front sights. But with this sight, the surrounding aperture is movable and indexed on the bottom of the post. Push the surround down, adjust the post (finger adjustable), then raise the surround back up. Thus the surround is always in the same position with respect to the post, that is, with the post centered.

You're not centering the post within the surround, you're centering the surround around the post...
    Last edited by Rascally; 12-22-18 at 14:46. Reason: clarity
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast