Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New AR

Feedback Score

New AR

After many years of watching the ridiculous pricing on various rifle platforms I finally found a deal that offered most of what I required at an unbeatable price. Some of you may have seen the PSA Freedom MOA AR carbine on PSA daily deals recently... Well I bit. Still waiting for it to arrive at my local FFL (which I understand they are known for, the wait that is). And while I realize this isn't the faciest hotrod rifle out there, it seems to be a solid piece.

Anyways, its primary use will be recreational target/plinking with a requirement to be available for HD and such. It comes with a f-marked front A2 sight along with Magpul MBUS rear sight. I fully intend to utilize the stock sights during break in and to get used to them but I'd like to hear some discussions about good multi-purpose sights. I like the idea of a low to no magnification red dot but if I ever have to grab it for HD would be concerned about the extra step of turning it on. I come from a pistol and shotgun background and have NEVER run optics or other whizbang gadgets and am partial to keeping it simple.

Thoughts on eschewing red dot type optics for HD use? What sight setup would be recommended? The carbine has a flattop weaver rail with f-marked A2 front sight. Keep stock sights? Replace front, rear or both? I'm very new to the AR and have done lots of reading but have lots to do still.... Can't wait to start putting rounds down range!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    RDs are quick and precise, unless you have severe astigmatism- which effectively turns the dot to a blob/starburst or comet.
    With your new setup you might consider the Primary Arms RD with a co-witness or lower third mount, which enables use with FS.
    The PAs RD has a 2 minute dot, they have held up to abuse on a couple of my beaters and they are inexpensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    After many years of watching the ridiculous pricing on various rifle platforms I finally found a deal that offered most of what I required at an unbeatable price. Some of you may have seen the PSA Freedom MOA AR carbine on PSA daily deals recently... Well I bit. Still waiting for it to arrive at my local FFL (which I understand they are known for, the wait that is). And while I realize this isn't the faciest hotrod rifle out there, it seems to be a solid piece.

Anyways, its primary use will be recreational target/plinking with a requirement to be available for HD and such. It comes with a f-marked front A2 sight along with Magpul MBUS rear sight. I fully intend to utilize the stock sights during break in and to get used to them but I'd like to hear some discussions about good multi-purpose sights. I like the idea of a low to no magnification red dot but if I ever have to grab it for HD would be concerned about the extra step of turning it on. I come from a pistol and shotgun background and have NEVER run optics or other whizbang gadgets and am partial to keeping it simple.

Thoughts on eschewing red dot type optics for HD use? What sight setup would be recommended? The carbine has a flattop weaver rail with f-marked A2 front sight. Keep stock sights? Replace front, rear or both? I'm very new to the AR and have done lots of reading but have lots to do still.... Can't wait to start putting rounds down range!
    If you do not want to have to deal with turning an optic on and off, here is the one for you - the HOLOSUN 403A. It has an auto wake feature that automatically turns on the scope when it is moved and an adjustable 8 hour auto-shutoff. I have one on one of my ARs. It cannot be any simpler to use.

http://www.holosun.com/store/index.p...&product_id=63

As far as sights go, leave what you have. The MBUS and the FSB will work well together and with the optic.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 09-20-17 at 17:30.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Get the cheapest you can find for the cheapest rifle you bought.

Your AR does not have a flat top Weaver rail. It's Picatinny.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Get the cheapest you can find for the cheapest rifle you bought.

Your AR does not have a flat top Weaver rail. It's Picatinny.
    Maybe NEXT time I'll take out a second mortgage but for today I just want a decent rifle at a decent price. At what point would my personal expenditures meet your approval?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe NEXT time I'll take out a second mortgage but for today I just want a decent rifle at a decent price. At what point would my personal expenditures meet your approval?
    Unfortunately you're going to find that for many on here, the definition of decent is not met by anything PSA. Curious, what did you pay?

Feedback Score
    Don't mind at all sharing (especially in light of the pricing over the last few years). It was the public special on their website, $459 shipped. Hell of a deal compared to what some people I know have paid recently (even for lesser guns). While I'm 100% confident that an experienced AR builder could do better with less that is one thing I am not.

Edit: This is the Freedom M4 with the Magpul MOE furniture. Not fancy but specs look usable. Listed price was over $700.
    Last edited by Buck91; 09-20-17 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    Check out some YouTube videos on red dots. That may also help you and screw what Iraqgunz said. Get what you like and can offered. We are here to help and not put people down based on their budgets.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Don't mind at all sharing (especially in light of the pricing over the last few years). It was the public special on their website, $459 shipped. Hell of a deal compared to what some people I know have paid recently (even for lesser guns). While I'm 100% confident that an experienced AR builder could do better with less that is one thing I am not.

Edit: This is the Freedom M4 with the Magpul MOE furniture. Not fancy but specs look usable. Listed price was over $700.
    Again, unfortunately, had you logged on today, you would have seen the post right here about an Aero Precision for $499 plus shipping ($11 to me in NC when I checked earlier) and that would be a much nicer rifle for about $50 more. No Magpul furniture but standard Magpul furniture can be had cheap on the second hand market. Hell I'd bet there are enough nice folks on this and a few of the other forums that they would send you their Moe handguards, grips, and maybe a Pmag or two with the right approach or attitude for free.

At the end of the day, it is your gun and you have to shoot it. And also, as you stated, potentially rely on it for you and your family's life. I have a PSA pencil upper (with BCM BCG, though) and it has ran well.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You are missing the point oh Exalted One. He bought a cheap PSA rifle that will have ZERO value other than to him. So overthinking the red dot or buying a 400.00 Aimpoint serves little purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnFire40 View Post
    Check out some YouTube videos on red dots. That may also help you and screw what Iraqgunz said. Get what you like and can offered. We are here to help and not put people down based on their budgets.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast