Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOnFire40 View Post
    Check out some YouTube videos on red dots. That may also help you and screw what Iraqgunz said. Get what you like and can offered. We are here to help and not put people down based on their budgets.
    You guys need to put your big boy pants on. I think what IG was saying is correct, based on the OPs apparent budget.

Another option Buck91, would be to have patience, save up and buy an Aimpoint PRO, mount and use it on that rifle while you save money for a quality rifle, instead of buying a cheap optic that won't last.
    In the end you'll have a good dependable set up for defensive purposes and a range toy to beat the hell out of.

Feedback Score
    How do you like that stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    Maybe NEXT time I'll take out a second mortgage but for today I just want a decent rifle at a decent price. At what point would my personal expenditures meet your approval?
    Dont worry about the the amount you spend on your first AR, if it's within your current budget, thats all that matters.. use this one as a "tester" to get a feel for what you are looking for.. Use your second AR rifle purchase as one that is more of a life n liberty gun... there is a lot of people who will tell you that a Colt 6920 is the gold standard for what an AR15 should be... other people will tell you BCM or Spikes.. but you have to think of what is practical for you.. Are you shooting maybe 2000 rounds a year? or are you shooting 500+ rounds every weekend?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Dang, you guys are harsh lol. Talk about inducing buyer's remorse!

OP, when you get your AR, take it to the range and sight it in. Put a thousand rounds through it and if it goes bang every single time you pull the trigger then guess what...you have a great rifle -- no matter what anybody here says.
    Not quite. If it can get through 1k rounds, you don't have a shit AR. That alone doesn't qualify it for "great."

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not quite. If it can get through 1k rounds, you don't have a shit AR. That alone doesn't qualify it for "great."

It will qualify as a shit AR that some how, against the odds, made it past 1k.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Enjoy your rifle, OP.

Chances are, it'll run just fine for you.

Here are some videos for you to watch if interested:

https://youtu.be/sYf2q7qw83s

https://youtu.be/A9cbC2trbdk

https://youtu.be/e9UNyWgrWbU

https://youtu.be/nnzxTWcRetc

https://youtu.be/crdPv6nAQwU

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    It will qualify as a shit AR that some how, against the odds, made it past 1k.
    Gotta love the irony.

Feedback Score
    OP - Enjoy the rifle and ignore the noise. The only way to vet and trust a rifle is to shoot it. So do exactly that. Learn the platform and how to maintain it. Forget the rabid inferences that your rifle is garbage. The idea that, outside of a select few brands, a mfg/assembler cannot produce a perfectly serviceable rifle is utter nonsense.

Your fault isn't that you purchased the wrong rifle. Instead, it's that you happened to mention it in the wrong forum. PSA, along with many other brands, will not be treated objectively by a vocal segment in the community. As soon as you realize that, the better off you'll be. Most ARs will run just fine. Some will have minor issues. Even fewer will have major problems. And that goes for all of the brands.

The "Freedom" model you purchased is from the same line that made it through AKOU's 5,000 round torture test.

In that same test, a DD M4V11 stalled out in the first 2,500 rounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJU0zm1glY

They were eventually able to get the DD back into action and it finished the test. But, it failed nonetheless. The point is, there are no foregone conclusions. The above data points provided are simply that; single data points. It doesn't make the DD a bad rifle, and doesn't make the PSA the best rifle.

Interestingly enough, the guys at AKOU couldn't actually figure out why the DD stalled. Odds are, something got into the FCG and made its way out when they broke it down. The takeaway there is that the overwhelming majority of failures, for the platform in general, have little to do with substandard components. Instead, they will result from debris/cleanliness or ties to the magazines.

Now, seeing that you didn't even come here because you were having problems with the rifle, let me actually provide some input in reference to your actual question. As far as optics, I'd agree with others that Holosun has pretty much changed the game when it comes to mid-range red dot sights. They're very feature rich and don't break the bank. Being newer to the market, they still have a ways to go before getting the "time tested" designation. But overall reported performance thus far is very favorable.

I have had two of them for a short while now and have been very pleased. I really love the auto-wake and shut-off features. The glass clarity and adjustment controls are excellent. I haven't had to use their service department, but the interactions I've had when making a couple inquires have been superb.

Of course, you could always go with an Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon etc. There you'll get the time tested stamp of approval (maybe less so for Eotech). The suggestions that you should buy something cheap because your rifle is cheap/crap are comical. Whatever optic you select isn't automatically committed to only be run on this one single rifle. If the rifle actually were junk, at least you'd have a solid optic to run when you upgrade or replace it. So, it's just a bit curious that the solution to buying junk, is to buy more junk.

All in all, welcome to the black rifle fraternity. If you actually ever run into issues, speak up. There are plenty of people who'll be happy to help you diagnose and make corrections.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    OP - Enjoy the rifle and ignore the noise. The only way to vet and trust a rifle is to shoot it. So do exactly that. Learn the platform and how to maintain it. Forget the rabid inferences that your rifle is garbage. The idea that, outside of a select few brands, a mfg/assembler cannot produce a perfectly serviceable rifle is utter nonsense.

Your fault isn't that you purchased the wrong rifle. Instead, it's that you happened to mention it in the wrong forum. PSA, along with many other brands, will not be treated objectively by a vocal segment in the community. As soon as you realize that, the better off you'll be. Most ARs will run just fine. Some will have minor issues. Even fewer will have major problems. And that goes for all of the brands.

The "Freedom" model you purchased is from the same line that made it through AKOU's 5,000 round torture test.

In that same test, a DD M4V11 stalled out in the first 2,500 rounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJU0zm1glY

They were eventually able to get the DD back into action and it finished the test. But, it failed nonetheless. The point is, there are no foregone conclusions. The above data points provided are simply that; single data points. It doesn't make the DD a bad rifle, and doesn't make the PSA the best rifle.

Interestingly enough, the guys at AKOU couldn't actually figure out why the DD stalled. Odds are, something got into the FCG and made its way out when they broke it down. The takeaway there is that the overwhelming majority of failures, for the platform in general, have little to do with substandard components. Instead, they will result from debris/cleanliness or ties to the magazines.

Now, seeing that you didn't even come here because you were having problems with the rifle, let me actually provide some input in reference to your actual question. As far as optics, I'd agree with others that Holosun has pretty much changed the game when it comes to mid-range red dot sights. They're very feature rich and don't break the bank. Being newer to the market, they still have a ways to go before getting the "time tested" designation. But overall reported performance thus far is very favorable.

I have had two of them for a short while now and have been very pleased. I really love the auto-wake and shut-off features. The glass clarity and adjustment controls are excellent. I haven't had to use their service department, but the interactions I've had when making a couple inquires have been superb.

Of course, you could always go with an Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon etc. There you'll get the time tested stamp of approval (maybe less so for Eotech). The suggestions that you should buy something cheap because your rifle is cheap/crap are comical. Whatever optic you select isn't automatically committed to only be run on this one single rifle. If the rifle actually were junk, at least you'd have a solid optic to run when you upgrade or replace it. So, it's just a bit curious that the solution to buying junk, is to buy more junk.

All in all, welcome to the black rifle fraternity. If you actually ever run into issues, speak up. There are plenty of people who'll be happy to help you diagnose and make corrections.
    Good post there. PSA wouldn't be my go to rifle to jump out of a helo in a warzone, but they seem to be pretty damn good for the money. I'm about to order a nitride barrel from them for the rifle I keep in the truck. It sure can't be any worse than the one it came with (Ruger, shoots okay but the finish is awful, rusts every time a dark cloud passes by).

Feedback Score
    Thus always the knee-jerk reaction to certain un-approved brands on this forum.

Enjoy your rifle, learn, shoot a LOT. Take GOOD training. Accesorize your rifle well, so that Aimpoint can move to the next rifle you buy when you know exactly what you want from experience.
    I've got half a dozen "Tier One" ARs. I have 3 PSAs as truck/trunk guns. One has well over 6,000 rounds through it. My grandson, who I steered to BCM for his first rifle, frequently comments that my PSA does everything his BCM does for 1/3 the price. And he knows, having shot several cases of that 6K+. I never intended to shoot several times the price of this rifle in ammo. It was supposed to sit in the truck and be maintained more than shot, BUT I got a bug up my ass about MY judgement/experience vs Tommy Tactical Forum's opinion. Now I know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast