Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Go enroll in a real carbine class where they shoot a few hundo rounds per day. You'll find out quickly what sets most of these AR's apart.

I see and hear this regularly from people who attend my courses. I have seen the shoddy PSA assembly first hand on dozens of their guns and the cavalier attitude that was taken when it was brought up to their people.
    Let's see 3,000 rounds, that is 500 a day in my select-fire instructor course. Actual round count was closer to 2,400 or 2,500. Of that, about 1/3 was auto - burst not dumps. One of the first classes I gave, about a decade ago, was for an agency using new Bushmasters. Extractor problems right out of the box. Bushmaster next day aired them new bolts and they were good to go the rest of the course. At the time we didn't stock enough parts to fix them on the range. I do not know if the agency had to return the bolts or if they kept them as spares.

The only other problems I've had during the courses I've taught - patrol rifle, patrol rifle instructor - were with LESO rifles and most of them were, obviously maintenance issues.

Now, I want to be clear, I'm not some big time traveling instructor, but I've seen some rifles through programs I ran. Maybe it the law enforcement 'you use what the agency issues' mentality, but I've never gotten too wrapped up about roll marks on rifles.

I get it that folks are biased, we had such bad luck with our Mossberg 500's that I wouldn't have one, but yet I've managed to teach a lot of students using them in our basic course, our firearms instructor course, shotgun instructor, and tac shotgun/less-lethal instructor.

Likewise, there are auto-pistols that are abominations to use teaching new shooters - S&W Sigma comes to mind - but you drive on.

As I said, maybe that 'use what the agency issues' mindset colors my perception.

As a former military parachutist and jumpmaster, I chuckle at folks worrying about cam pins that aren't showing wear, they'd shit if they ever saw the run-of-the-mill pack opening spring bands on the T-10 reserves we used after they'd been issued and JMPI'ed a dozen times.

Buy the best rifle you can afford, or choose to spend money on, shoot it, correct problems if any, shoot it. Maintain it. It is not that complicated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Actually I disagree with that. You're right but the wealth of knowledge imo is very limited. This place and places like it are few and far between. 99% of reviews online are positive.....for just about any firearm. What I typically see is ...."goes bang every time", "shot 500 rounds without a hiccup", "owned it for XX years without a problem". IF there are bad reviews it's typically related to fit and finish. Someone finds a blemish and goes on a tirade about how they were wronged. You really have to dig deep and hard to find legit reviews and most gun buyers aren't going to take a chance loosing out on a purchase to go home and spend a few days doing research

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    You're correct about it requiring some effort to wade through the BS and get the "real" accurate information. My whole point was that most cheap AR buyers are lazy when it comes to that. They would rather just buy the gun the store employees tell them is "just as good" and get that immediate satisfaction.

Feedback Score
    Now days, there really is no excuse to not buy a solid well built M4. The prices are so good. You can get a genuine 6920 or 6721 for 680-780$. Unheard of prices. A proven combat rifle that you can go to war with. Don't cut corners when it comes to a weapon you may have to defend your life with.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345