Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Govt. size 9mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a Springfield Armory 9mm Range Officer (Operator) last year and the only issue I have had with it so far was that when it was first fired, the electro-penciled numbers on the bottom of the slide caused the disconnector to occasionally impede a full return to battery. Once that was dealt with, it has proven to be a lot of bang for my bucks. The only change I have made to it so far has been replacing the factory grip panels with a pair of Raasco double diamond checkered walnut panels (the factory RO grips are too busy for my tastes and they seemed kind of "slick," though the latter may be mostly in my head). So far it is reliable with the factory CheckMate and "front groove" Metalform magazines, and accuracy is a lot better than I had anticipated... maybe I got lucky in a new purchase for a change.

If I were a southpaw, I'd strongly consider getting a RO and have someone who knows their business install one of the better aftermarket ambidextrous safeties and any other minor parts that I might need/want. I don't mind MIM as much as some folks, but replacing those parts with tool steel versions done right might put you close to the amout you are thinking about. The new RO Elite with the ambi safety might be all you need right off the bat.

A full-size 1911 in 9mm is something more people should try. I resisted the idea for years and missed out on a good thing all that time.

toc
    Last edited by theorangecat; 09-22-17 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    I was sure I was going to get a Springfield in .45, wound up getting the Armscor Rock Island in 9mm.

100% reliable and a sexy trigger break that feels like a custom job, I'm not exaggerating.

Worth a look.

I got Chip McCormick 10 round mags so can do IDPA without extra mag changes. The stock mag (only give you one) is not reliable, just fyi.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've got a full size rock island ts and really like it. Yeah it's a cheap one but works great. Springfield had some range officers that had really tight chambers that were giving some people hell.

Feedback Score
    I came to the conclusion that Rock Islands are cheap simply because they are made in the Philippines.

Except the people making them there have been doing so for decades already, so not exactly novices in the 1911 platform
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I appreciate all of the replies. I'll check into the CZ .mil/leo discount as I qualify on both counts. I'm looking hard at a Springfield Armory R/O Operator as that seems to hit all the wickets and is well within budget. I like some of the Colt's but like AR's, great guns but I'm not hung up on them. I've never looked at the lower end guns but may need to at least read up on them. I still think a 1911 looks funny with a rail but the exta weight would even make them softer shooting. This will not be a CCW as I've got others that I prefer for that.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I bought a Springfield "Lipsey Edition". Its right in your price / quality range. It does not have the amby safety though. So that might kill the deal. I really like mine, or maybe they make some out there with amby??

PB
    I went by my LGS and they had a Range Officer Elite Operator. Other than the frame color and ambi any idea what else if different? And being Coltless I'm looking at thiers. Currently I'm down to S.A., Colt, and Dan Wesson.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I went by my LGS and they had a Range Officer Elite Operator. Other than the frame color and ambi any idea what else if different? And being Coltless I'm looking at thiers. Currently I'm down to S.A., Colt, and Dan Wesson.
    Colt has been having some problems with theirs lately, some of the Lipsey SA models too. I'd probably only buy the DW at this point, even though I'd love to have one of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    A local LGS has a new S.A. "Loaded" in 9mm sitting in the display case, and it comes with a lot of things people seem to want now, like a checkered front strap, ambi safety, "ledge" type rear sight, G10 grips...

It also has a rail, so it ought to be be a pretty soft shooter. If I didn't already have my ROO - which does what I wanted it to do - I would consider getting one myself.

toc

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Since nobody has mentioned it, I think the Colt CCU (Combat Unit) in 9mm would be a great option within your budget.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Since nobody has mentioned it, I think the Colt CCU (Combat Unit) in 9mm would be a great option within your budget.
    One of the three I'm down to. I would add the ambi safety and call it done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast