Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravo versus Colt

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I own 1 Noveske, and the rest are BCM's. Over the years I've owned many others. BCM is my preference but I've been looking at the CCU lately. I prefer the mid lenght so that's why I ended up BCM.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I think this all comes down to cost. At current prices, you can get a complete Colt rifle for basically the cost of a BCM upper or less depending on configuration.

Feedback Score
    Colt puts out a better product at a lower price for serious use. Sure, it'll be dinged to hell, but you know what you're getting. In general, BCM puts out solid rifles, but their barrels can be hit or miss. No need to look at BCM when Colts are selling for not much more than Uncle Sam prices.

It makes you wonder when BCM will bring back their free BCG promo. These companies must be hurting.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhd1 View Post
    I currently have two Colts one 2013 and one I just got, dated March 2017 on bag, both are very similar on the finish and are great. My new one was dry and wasn't pretty in the store but I found no major marks or scratches, only minor scuffs that rubbed off with oil rag. Colts will serve you well. My BCM has a nice finish and had zero marks when new, the fit was not bad either, just slight bit of play like I like. Both are accurate.

Edit to add: Both are reliable as you can get.
    Similar experience, Colt OEM1 no mars, pecks, machining marks, etc. I wanted a box stock M4, and that's what I got. No complaints.

You can get prettier DD and BCM rifles, but also for a lot more money. And since neither of them are technically built to the TDP, they are still just technically clones, even though quite good.

Anything a vendor does to make the rifle "tighter"/improved can also lead to issues like the recent stanag magazine magwell issue. But can also be innovations that end up getting broad usage (thinking LMT here)

I use DD and LMT sub-assemblies and parts when it suits me. Would use BCM without hesitation, though some of their design choices (keymod) and business choices (no phone Q&A) have led me to other options in the past. Same for DDs long insistence on only selling quad rail uppers/rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have my share of Colt ARs and most of them are pre-ban models with the exception of my 2008 LE6920. I also own two BCMs (Jack Carbine and a Mid-16 Mod 2). I have also used a few BCM barrel son builds. I own many other ARs as well. That said, I would buy a BCM long before I would buy a newer Colt. Heck, I would assemble a nice PSA Premium line AR before I would buy a Colt. Those of you who are stuck on this TDP crap need to realize that Colt no longer has the TDP and has not since 2013 when the U.S. Army took over it. That is why there was a big fuss by Colt when FN was awarded a contract back in Feb. 2013 which led to a settlement (royalties) for Colt. Also, those who believe that Colt produces everything in-house are fooled as well. Colt, like many other companies, buys some products from the few manufacturers that produce certain products. They may still produce some things in-house, just as BCM, LMT, LaRue Tactical and several other companies. Colt IS NOT the standard anymore. Colt is just trying to survive in today's marketplace and they are trying anything to sell their products, including dropping prices to bolster sales.

Like I said before, I would buy a BCM long before I would buy a newer Colt. That said, I would have no problem buying more pre-ban Colts.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I have my share of Colt ARs and most of them are pre-ban models with the exception of my 2008 LE6920. I also own two BCMs (Jack Carbine and a Mid-16 Mod 2). I have also used a few BCM barrel son builds. I own many other ARs as well. That said, I would buy a BCM long before I would buy a newer Colt. Heck, I would assemble a nice PSA Premium line AR before I would buy a Colt. Those of you who are stuck on this TDP crap need to realize that Colt no longer has the TDP and has not since 2013 when the U.S. Army took over it. That is why there was a big fuss by Colt when FN was awarded a contract back in Feb. 2013 which led to a settlement (royalties) for Colt. Also, those who believe that Colt produces everything in-house are fooled as well. Colt, like many other companies, buys some products from the few manufacturers that produce certain products. They may still produce some things in-house, just as BCM, LMT, LaRue Tactical and several other companies. Colt IS NOT the standard anymore. Colt is just trying to survive in today's marketplace and they are trying anything to sell their products, including dropping prices to bolster sales.

Like I said before, I would buy a BCM long before I would buy a newer Colt. That said, I would have no problem buying more pre-ban Colts.
    Colt no longer has the TDP? What do you mean? Did somebody confiscate the TDP and Colt and their engineers lost the knowledge of what was in the TDP? Colt no longer can produce guns based on their years of experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post

You're wrong. The DOD does not own the TDP. The DOD purchased a license from Colt for the TDP. I'll take Colt (of any era) over BCM (who doesn't have an official copy of the TDP, but may have obtained particulars from DT and 3rd party entities) any day of the week. Notwithstanding, BCM does a heck of a job marketing their gear, and Colt should follow suit.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    I completely disagree. They sold me a turd MK12 upper that so inaccurate. Couldn't hold 3 inches. Sent it back and they said it was in spec. They shot 3 groups and only 1 was inside 2 inches. That was disgusting and I'll never buy BCM again the customer service sucks. Never again.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I completely disagree. They sold me a turd MK12 upper that so inaccurate. Couldn't hold 3 inches. Sent it back and they said it was in spec. They shot 3 groups and only 1 was inside 2 inches. That was disgusting and I'll never buy BCM again the customer service sucks. Never again.
    If it's an SS410 barrel, it may get better with time. My buddy sent his back to BCM and he was basically told the same: 3" 3-round "groups" were "within spec". Mine was never that bad, shooting about 1.5". I got frustrated and ran mine like a carbine with a RDS and shot Wolf through it. He kept playing with different ammo in his. After 3-400 rounds both settled in. His shoots about 1/2-3/4 MoA now. Mine about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You say a lot of bad about colt but give no strong examples? And please don't tell me the finish. give me something a little more solid than that because in combat colt weapons work and for just General shooting they work so when you post something like this give us a little more meat about why colt isn't any good now. Are they jamming? Falling apart? Inaccurate like a BCM? Say whatever you want but please refrain from spraying crap all over the wall to see what will stick.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast