Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You are in charge of US Domestic Policy - what is your solution to urban poverty?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

You are in charge of US Domestic Policy - what is your solution to urban poverty?

The St Louis thread kind of got off track, so I moved it to its own thread.

How would the US get places like Vine City in Atlanta, or South Dallas, or South Chicago, or Little Haiti/Hialeah near Miami back on track?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-21-17 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First a complete overhaul of our public education system from the ground up. It is rediculously outdated Prussian style nonsense. We are not pumping out factory workers anymore, yet that's the system of education we cling to. We need critical thinkers.

Next is deregulating just about every industry to the point they can make money and prosper here again. I'm not talking chaos, I'm talking minimum regulatory and licensing requirements and tax incentives for start ups. We need fresh blood in every sector and we need to revitalize lost industry's.

Next get rid of war on drugs. This is a huge factor in the perpetuation of poverty. Put some of that WOD money into rehabilitation programs and back to work programs. When in the hood you can make good dough slanging drugs and all it does is perpetuate violence, addiction and the cycle of poverty.

Next would be to have much stricter guidelines on assistance programs. They all need to be program based to get people back into the work force and earning for themselves again.

Next would be to attack the gang culture. Music, Hollywood, tv etc- all glorify it. That culture will never cease to exist, but we need to battle it more successfully.

Stop funding the rest of the worlds bullshit and focus our attention here at home. We have real problems in our own backyard that have been all but ignored for decades.

We need to stop enabling these folks to perpetuate the cycle. Whomever genuinely wants out and shows that with actions- give them what they need. Whomever doesn't- cut them off quickly and let them rot from within.

There needs to be a culture shift, that's the hardest part because it has to happen from within these communities by their own hands. Time and time again we've seen that assistance means nothing if these communities aren't willing to change for themselves. We need to be honest about this and realize there are going to be those that don't want to, cannot and will not change. Leave them to their own destruction and put energy into those that want to change.

There is no simple solution but the above would be a great way to start in my opinion.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cut down on the welfare. Its work or starve.

Militia on the border. Remove illegals by force. Their jobs can go to Americans on welfare.

Its that simple.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Scale back the WOD and mandatory sentencing (sometimes you just can't save people from themselves), at least for non-dealers. Set strict guidelines for assistance, even tapering it off as you make more $$$ instead of an arbitrary "Bam, you're done" once income hits a certain level. There are jobs out there, no one wants to work them though.

As previously mentioned, the bulk of the effort would have to come from within those communities themselves. That will be the fly in the ointment of any "answer" to the question posed.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-21-17 at 08:56.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Cut down on the welfare. Its work or starve.

Militia on the border. Remove illegals by force. Their jobs can go to Americans on welfare.

Its that simple.
    And by doing that we can free up the $150 Billion a year that the US spends supporting illegals and roll it into education or whatever.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The St Louis thread kind of got off track, so I moved it to its own thread.

How would the US get places like Vine City in Atlanta, or South Dallas, or South Chicago, or Little Haiti/Hialeah near Miami back on track?
    In the case of Vine city, the bluff, and similar, it's just a matter of earmarking millions in urban development, attracting companies to build big devlopments, etc. Oh wait, thy tried that over 40 years. Did not work.

There is a path to reclaim areas... Let the the relentless drive of Real Estate and development pressure act. But to work it essentially has two clear cut large enough areas to establish a stable community. And that displaces locals. It has worked in areas of Bankhead, Marietta Avenue, and similar in Atlanta. These were derelict wastelands 30 years ago.

Unfortunately it does not address your question.

Since I believe the root cause is tied into multiple very complex things, the fix has to come by changing those factors. Specifically: Gov tampering/enablement, accepted cultural behaviors, environment and finally, free will/willingness to try to change.

Until there is willingness to admit that these are factors are the issue, rather than excuse them, they will never be fixed.

I know and work with many very successful African-American individuals and families. They generally all have one thing in common. They moved away from culturally accepted norms for their demographic and played the game. Others would say they sold out to their culture. They still keep their traditions. But they work to align to the cultural norms of the group they want to participate in.

So I grew up in the south, and over the years lived and spent much time in very rural areas. I know that if I had refused to dress per business norms and insisted on keeping my cultural legacies, I probably would not have gotten my job, much less been successful.

Clothes, dialect, hygiene, these things influence people whether they should or not. A homeless person probably deserves help here. Can't help that condition. Someone wearing extremely expensive Nike shoes, iphone, bling, nails, hair extensions, tattoos, it's clearly not an affordability issue it's a prioritization issue. Add to that expensive Wheels literally and figuratively.

Example: I find overalls very practical clothing, especially for working around my place. But there is a negative cultural image associated with those that heavily exist. It's the poor, backwards, rural farmer. I still wear them, and sometimes intentionally do it for shock value and just to annoy narrow-minded people. But I would never wear them to a business event, or insist that it's my cultural heritage.

The same would happen if I insisted on wearing military clothing, inappropriate dress is inappropriate. You will be judged.

Likewise dialect. Jeff Foxworthy says it best, he was an IBM engineer, but when he joined a conference call and they heard his accent his perceived IQ went down by half. I live that world, have largely scrubbed all evidence from my work speech. I still use colorful phrases that make some wince even though their perfectly valid. But they show a regional association that still has a cultural stereotype. And I'm not talking Andy Griffin Dukes of Hazzard stuff, show just something other than neutral Midwest or typical Northeast speech.

These are just examples of cultural differences and how they can impact success. The world would be a very boring place if we didn't have these cultural differences. At the same time excusing or even making it politically incorrect to even acknowledge that this might be a problem, condemns those to remain trapped in that world.

Add in cultural things like baby daddy mindset, bling mindset, etc, and it's worse. Yet many elevate people behaving outside cultural norms if they are an artist or a sports star. They become role models in some of these communities. And yet if you didn't have the exceptional Talent OR luck that got those people there, emulating them is a recipe for failure.

I know many people who escaped. I grew up, worked around, and still live around others who did not. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. They try. They play the game.

Some of these cultural norms were government inflicted directly or indirectly. The loss of the male Father Figure in some communities I believe is the largest negative impact. I asked a black friend that I worked with back with why did you stay in school, get good grades, and stay out of trouble. Despite all the temptations and potential prejudices of his world. He said: "because my dad would have kicked my ass if I didn't". Same as my answer. Pretty straightforward. Moms can make up some of that, and many do. But you really need two parents, are at a disadvantage without that.

This is politically toxic to say, much less try to fix. Try it, as soon as you head down this path you will be labeled as racist AND misogynist.

Even when someone like Ben Carson says very straightforward things about how he was able to escape, the very demographic that would benefit attacks him, and calls him Uncle Tom. He's not the only one, there are many others.

My view is you'll never be able to fix this situation while that attack behavior exist.

I love the people trying to break out. I went to school with them, had them as roommates, and now I frequent the places of business of poor folks chasing their dream and try to support their efforts. They don't make excuses, they focus on their goal. I see Latin American families doing the same. Asian families have mastered it.

To me, excusing/defending behaviors is form of cultural slavery, probably started with the Great Society and the sixties. Up until that point the African-American Community was doing very well becoming a functioning part of mainstream Society. On an upward track. In spite of some very horrible conditions and prejudices. So why did it get worse when those largely went away, or at least were pushed underground.

The only good news is the signs of red pill thinking. People like diamond and silk, others. Meanwhile Mainstream media and political activists excuse the blatant lies of BLM and the grievance mongers.

I don't expect this issue to be solved in my lifetime, it is a generational problem. Firefly pointed out how poisoning some of the cultural norms are. And environmental norms. Those have to be addressed or there will be no progress.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    -Less top heavy brass, more police on the street
    -Actual police training with long term optics
    -Real calls only, total hiatus on revenue generation
    -Reorganization of the Project system with 5 year plan to reach actual housing
    -De-incentivizing over reproduction
    -A reshifted tax burden (i.e. Section 8 becomes less like a hammock and more like a student loan)
    -Total disbanding and re-organizing of HUD
    -Re-structure of the school system
    -"Clean streets mean clean streets" residents of public or assisted housing are required to keep all property maintained and to code.
    -De-criminalization of drugs and treat it more as a health issue than a criminal one.
    -"Move it or lose it" policy. If subject cannot make progress in one assisted housing area; they are relocated to another area with a fresh start. They are then given a year before they are re-evaluated and dropped
    -complete de-centralization of the Project system
    -De-incentivizing school sports programs. School is for school. Play sports on own time
    -Mandatory GED/Job training for adult residents of government housing
    -No redistricting for votes

Whomever still wants to be "that guy" can end up in jail, but a lot would seize the opportunities

Just my ideas

Feedback Score
    War on drugs. Gone.

Next case, your honor.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    -Less top heavy brass, more police on the street
    -Actual police training with long term optics
    -Real calls only, total hiatus on revenue generation
    -Reorganization of the Project system with 5 year plan to reach actual housing
    -De-incentivizing over reproduction
    -A reshifted tax burden (i.e. Section 8 becomes less like a hammock and more like a student loan)
    -Total disbanding and re-organizing of HUD
    -Re-structure of the school system
    -"Clean streets mean clean streets" residents of public or assisted housing are required to keep all property maintained and to code.
    -De-criminalization of drugs and treat it more as a health issue than a criminal one.
    -"Move it or lose it" policy. If subject cannot make progress in one assisted housing area; they are relocated to another area with a fresh start. They are then given a year before they are re-evaluated and dropped
    -complete de-centralization of the Project system
    -De-incentivizing school sports programs. School is for school. Play sports on own time
    -Mandatory GED/Job training for adult residents of government housing
    -No redistricting for votes

Whomever still wants to be "that guy" can end up in jail, but a lot would seize the opportunities

Just my ideas
    I'm with you except the sports. Sports are the only shot a lot of these kids have at getting into higher ed.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Rightsize growth and gentrification. Someone making $8/hour can't afford their home/rent when the value increases 500% because the hipsters decide living in the hood is a good thing....

This is a full-city, top-to-bottom investment: gotta have jobs, better paying jobs (not backed by the mandatory minimum wage), affordable housing, and diversified infrastructure.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast