Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: You are in charge of US Domestic Policy - what is your solution to urban poverty?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    It took over 50 years to create this mess, so it will take years to undo. The process will be painful and you should expect to see more civil unrest during the transition. I have a few ideas, but would first like to hear what others have to say about what specifically should be done to reform the public aid and educational systems and government offices involved in the process. Please be specific and don't be thin skinned if you don't like what others have to say.
    One of the first overhauls I'd do to the school system is change hours. Run School from 9:00 to 5:00. Have a study hall available for all students from 8:00 to 9:00 and from 5:00 to 6:00. This would largely take care of the parents hassle of getting the kids to school dependent on their work schedule, it is the only concession I'd make to continue the school as a babysitter tradition.

I'd also get of the old agrarian school year, kids aren't required to help families harvest anymore. Summer vacation would be four weeks. There would be another four week vacation between semesters.

All day kindergarten.

Schools receiving ANY federal funding would be required to have students wear a simple, inexpensive, unisex, uniform. This would address some the of the problems associated with gangs and disparate incomes.

School districts would be encouraged to have grade centers in the seventh, eighth and ninth grades. Elementary schools should be divided K through 3, 4-6.

Semesters in the middle and upper grades would be focused on specific topics, e.g. first semester the focus would be on math and social studies; second semester the focus would be on science and fine arts. Schools in a system would offset the subjects with each other each semester, teachers would transfer schools. There would still be electives each semester such as home ec, shop, band, orchestra, choir. Some form of physical education would be mandated through high school.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like year round school and uniforms

SOOOOOOOO much drama/BS in school occurs over clothes

ETA they should do, like, a regular job where you get so much holiday time to accrue and a kid could take time off with his folks for travel/personal stuff/holidays.

It would teach responsibility instead of lazy assing at home while everyone else works.

polos, slacks, and optional skirt and done. Shoes must be conservative.
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-22-17 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    But it doesn't have to be that way. Regardless if a kid grows up rural or urban, they are applying to the same colleges. As a parent of three graduates in the last five years, we have worked tirelessly to help our kids seek out and apply for dozens of scholarships. There are PILES of opportunities for scholarships and free rides offered to kids regardless of where they are from, especially those that are economically disadvantaged and are minorities, that my kids don't qualify for.

If we want to fix the a bunch of woes in this country, I agree with many posters that we need to start with the education system.
    I don't disagree with that, but we are getting black out of that situation and into one with (usually) strict discipline. And into a full ride. Most of those kids aren't going to compete for class slots in a/p classes if you know what I mean. Get them out, maybe a degree...then they can take what they earn back to the hood like lebron james. Or tutor a younger kid. ANYTHING besides cliqued up.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score

You are in charge of US Domestic Policy - what is your solution to urban poverty?

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    One of the first overhauls I'd do to the school system is change hours. Run School from 9:00 to 5:00. Have a study hall available for all students from 8:00 to 9:00 and from 5:00 to 6:00. This would largely take care of the parents hassle of getting the kids to school dependent on their work schedule, it is the only concession I'd make to continue the school as a babysitter tradition.

I'd also get of the old agrarian school year, kids aren't required to help families harvest anymore. Summer vacation would be four weeks. There would be another four week vacation between semesters.

All day kindergarten.

Schools receiving ANY federal funding would be required to have students wear a simple, inexpensive, unisex, uniform. This would address some the of the problems associated with gangs and disparate incomes.

School districts would be encouraged to have grade centers in the seventh, eighth and ninth grades. Elementary schools should be divided K through 3, 4-6.

Semesters in the middle and upper grades would be focused on specific topics, e.g. first semester the focus would be on math and social studies; second semester the focus would be on science and fine arts. Schools in a system would offset the subjects with each other each semester, teachers would transfer schools. There would still be electives each semester such as home ec, shop, band, orchestra, choir. Some form of physical education would be mandated through high school.
    I could be down with this. One of my biggest expenses re: employees is time missed due to "daycare and baby mama" issues.

I mentor where I can but it's tuff

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    Many countries in Europe and some in Asia have year round or almost year round school. Agreed on summer vacation, it should be minimal. Give kids more time with less guidance and you know what happens. How about a half day of school on Saturday? It might be a start.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On public education. I graduated, a decade ago. I also spent my formative years in private schools. Once year in private high school I had half, count them, half my high school courses needed to graduate. I then spent three years in public high school. My claim to fame? I averaged 6 books a week in the back of the classroom and still aced everything while often knowing more than the ****ing teachers did about the subjects especially history. The summer break isn't the issue, it is the dumb down of the populace. **** public education. Do away with the indoctrinational bullshit, and let the private sector and home school pick up the slack. You will likely in the long run end up with a better educated populace, or if not that, thin the herd dramatically in a few generations. Either way, I don't care what the public sector does, my children will never spend their formative years in the public system. And if they do, I fully expect to give a few principles strokes.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    The simplicity pf fixing the problem in mind numbing. Start with education. I love the idea that the children would wear uniforms, I say even issue them. Then there would be no excuses. Footwear would be included in that rule. People would have to graduate. Truancy would result in a work camp where they would learn and study. Welfare would be simple. You must graduate from High school to be eligible. Only allowed 12 months on at one time and only 2 times in an 8-year period. This includes housing. Here is the kicker that would really get people. There is no EFT for welfare. You must come in person to get the check. There will be a drug test on site every time. Checks will be paid bi-weekly. And the even bigger rub…… all adults on welfare will be on birth control that is administered when you get your check no matter what your religion or your stupid brain thinks about it. You want our money and we do not want your kids. Child care is a PITA and cost a great deal….. I know. With all the money that the government is saving with my program they can set up a low-income daycare to assist people that qualify with day care if they need it. But they would have to be employed. It is better to have people working than sitting around.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question

TRILLIONS in wealth transferred in the 50+ year long "War on Poverty," & we have MORE poor people than ever.

Would it be considered "impolite," to ask what our, "exit strategy," on this war might be?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    And the even bigger rub…… all adults on welfare will be on birth control that is administered when you get your check no matter what your religion or your stupid brain thinks about it. You want our money and we do not want your kids.
    I'm down with this as well, but know from mentioning it in mixed company - male/female, conservative/liberal - you get blow back from all over, including folks you'd think would be okay with it.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a baby on medicaid we either pay for an IUD to get placed, an implant, or a reversible - at your expense - tubal litigation. No oral contraceptives, too easy to say oops!

One of the answer to the childcare dilemma is to have a different level for means tested benefit for parents with children. Especially with single moms, about the time they start to get on their feet and make enough money to get by, they reach the threshold for income and bang! benefits go away, can't afford to pay the child care. Better to pay them a little longer until they are firmly on their feet IMHO.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm down with this as well, but know from mentioning it in mixed company - male/female, conservative/liberal - you get blow back from all over, including folks you'd think would be okay with it.
    That is why I put the part about not caring what what your religion says..... GOD says get off welfare and get a FU#$ing job!
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast